PDA

View Full Version : Number plate information

xe_nova9
21-09-09, 04:48 PM
Right to cut a long story short. My dad has got an old mercedes out the front of the house, its been there about 5 years. I want to put the registration from it on my nova. The merc is C reg and the Nova is K reg. Putting an MOT on the merc would not be a problem.

I've heard that I just have to pay the transfer fee and DVLA will send another reg for the merc?

Information appreciated :thumb:

Cheers.

Stuart
21-09-09, 05:12 PM
iirc £80 to do the transfer and the dooovla send a new reg for the merc.

heds
21-09-09, 09:22 PM
if the car has been of the road for more than 12 month the dvla will prob ask to see the car at there office for an inspection.

Spudly
21-09-09, 09:33 PM
if the car has been of the road for more than 12 month the dvla will prob ask to see the car at there office for an inspection.

Wtf................?:tard:

No they wont, just run it in for a mot as usual, would only need a vic test if its been imported or written off:thumb:

heds
21-09-09, 09:44 PM
i didnt say a vic check, twice now ive went to take my plate of a car and the two times its been off the road for over a year they have asked to see the car. i took a plate off a zaf gsi that was off the road for nearly 2 year for a mate the other week and they asked to see that
so dont tell me they wont cos you obviously dont know for sure. maybe they will and maybe they wont but they sure did for me!

if it is going for a proper mot then you will have no probs taking it to show them but if its just a quick mot lol, to get the plate off then be warned they may ask to see the car, its just to check it is actually on the road cos lots of people have found old cars get dodgy mot's and take plates off.

Spudly
21-09-09, 09:47 PM
i didnt say a vic check, twice now ive went to take my plate of a car and the two times its been off the road for over a year they have asked to see the car. i took a plate off a zaf gsi that was off the road for nearly 2 year for a mate the other week and they asked to see that
so dont tell me they wont cos you obviously dont know for sure. maybe they will and maybe they wont but they sure did for me!

If you have to take the vehicle then its a vic test, you dont have to take it to show the dvla just because its been off the road for a while, just mot and tax as per normal, both vehicles have to be taxed and mot'd for the transfer to be done!

brainsnova
21-09-09, 09:47 PM
i think it has to be m.ot'd and taxed and my mate got a visit from the dvla to check the car was legit.

L14MNP
21-09-09, 09:51 PM
Has to be taxted and tested and obviously insured.

Spud, they can ask to see them if they've been SORN for a while. My Nissans been off the road for something like 4.5 years lol and when I wanted my private plate off it (would have had it MOT'd etc) the DVLA said they may ask to see it when I ask to transfer the reg.

I can only think this is because of what used to go on with older vehicles with dateless plates. They want to make sure that the vehicle still exists in the metal before agreeing to the transfer.

I'd also agree it sounds like a VIC test lol.

Spudly
21-09-09, 09:57 PM
Well ive never come across that one before, my old SR gave its plate up almost a year after the crash and it had sat written off out the back of my house and i wasnt asked to show them the car, lucky too as it was a side/rear write off lol

L14MNP
21-09-09, 10:01 PM
lol Lucky lad. Like everything involving DVLA Swansea, it's the luck of the draw, depending on who you speak to lol.

I have a mk1 xr2 ID with pretty cool suffix plate to sell at some stage. The car was written off prior to the database being computerised so all I have to do is apply for the V5 when I want it lol. Not ATM though, just another one to remember to SORN! lol

Spudly
21-09-09, 10:04 PM
Im glad they never did then as i wouldnt have been able to drive this to the dvla local office lol

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/../images/car_images/2632big7.jpg

L14MNP
21-09-09, 10:06 PM
Depends how much you wanted the plate back! lol
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1380/710085038_9e9531e136.jpg
What plate was it dude?

Spudly
21-09-09, 10:08 PM
Depends how much you wanted the plate back! lol
What plate was it dude?

Any gen on a ringer......................

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/../images/car_images/2632big5.jpg

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/../images/car_images/2632big6.jpg

L14MNP
21-09-09, 10:12 PM
OMG I'm disgusted! lol Why with the N.I plate though laddo?

Not that there's a poverty spec mk1 Fiesta going around with an A reg XR2 ID that I sold or anything....

Soon to be a Y reg reshell/clone too if I list it. As before under 'vehicle memroabilia and collectables' of course. lol

Spudly
21-09-09, 10:14 PM
The white one (genuine SR) was a local car to me for years and was the first nova i fell in love with, everytime it came up for sale i missed out on it, after five years i landed it and was over the moon, then one night a twunt in a punto decided not to stop at a junction as he was racing a corsa and took me out, i knew i could claim back the transfer through insurance so i did it to keep the spirit of the white one when i reshelled into the black one!

L14MNP
21-09-09, 10:27 PM
What a lovely story. I am saddened at the demise of the black Nova but his spirit lives on! :)

Spudly
21-09-09, 10:29 PM
Twas the white one that expired, but the black one was eaten by the tin worm a few years back, so neither are alive now, only in pictures:cry:

L14MNP
21-09-09, 10:54 PM
I fail. Even after you posted the pic lol. All Novas dying hurts me :(