PDA

View Full Version : nova engine help

jonesy1
21-09-09, 12:28 AM
ive put a 1.6 gsi engine in my nova it was a 1.2 ive wired the engine up and im struggling with the fuelling it has got a 1.2 injection tank on it at present what do i need a in tank pump any help would be really appreciated :confused:

muzzy
21-09-09, 12:34 AM
You will need an MPI tank from a Nova GSi, GTE or SRi.

Edit - This should really be in the mechanical section :thumb:

burgo
21-09-09, 01:01 AM
You will need an MPI tank from a Nova GSi, GTE or SRi.

Edit - This should really be in the mechanical section :thumb:not at all. you can use the spi tank but you need an mpi intake pump from a corsa/tigra/vectra

muzzy
21-09-09, 01:09 AM
Sorry I wasnt sure on that part, i did think i may have been told at some point you could use the SPI tank but i thought i may have been making that up. lol

jonesy1
21-09-09, 01:29 AM
cheers do u know were i can get a gte or gsi tank or in tank fuel pump and that will be the reason for y its not starting any other help u can give me would me much appreciated :thumb:

burgo
21-09-09, 01:31 AM
you can get a pump from a scrappy.

as to why its not starting gonna need some more info. what have you tested so far?

jonesy1
22-09-09, 12:35 AM
what should iget the pump off coz the hole in the top of the tank isnt very big and i think ive got it wired up right coz the ecu clicks when i switch the ignition on and its sparking well ive put the red wire to the battery black to ignition live brown and white to dash engine managment light blue and red to the fuel pump any more help much appreciated

MK999
22-09-09, 12:41 AM
not at all. you can use the spi tank but you need an mpi intake pump from a corsa/tigra/vectra

Corsa/tigra don't fit, they're bigger, mk3 astra MPI is the one to go for, not sure about vectra.

burgo
22-09-09, 12:43 AM
Corsa/tigra don't fit, they're bigger, mk3 astra MPI is the one to go for, not sure about vectra.hmmm oks. well i fitted a vectra one to a mk3 astra so if mk3 astra ones fit so should the vec one

if you've got a spark is it trying to fire at all or does it just turn over and over

where abouts are you aswell?

MK999
22-09-09, 12:46 AM
Double check your fuel lines are the right way round, goes into rail, through regulator then back to tank as return line. Doesn't make sense until you realise you've done it wrong and think about it for a minute or two lol

jonesy1
22-09-09, 01:44 AM
yeah it fires if i put a bit of fuel down the spark plug hole but other wise it just turns over and over the car is in shrewsbury ive tried the fuel lines both way around but its not pushing enough pressure dont think coz its the 1.2 single point injection fuel pump i really need to get it going its doing my head in im having to drive round in a crappy corsa

Stuart
22-09-09, 08:39 AM
also dont text type

burgo
22-09-09, 03:09 PM
the spi pump will give you plenty enough fuel for running on tick over. instead of trying the fuel lines both ways check them and put them right. thats ones thing you can tick off the list.

have you checked all the earths??

do you have an electrical tester?

fennah
22-09-09, 04:12 PM
when you first turn on the ignition do you hear the fuel pump prime the system for a few seconds ?

jonesy1
22-09-09, 11:48 PM
yeah ive trid the fuel lines both ways around it fires if i put a bit of fuel down the spark plug hole and do ihave to strengthen the engine bay with having a gsi 8 valve engine anymore info would be appreciated

Jon_nova1
22-09-09, 11:59 PM
doesn't need strengthening

do you have fuel in the tank? if you took the fuel line off and put the ignition on, does fuel come out of the pipe?

jonesy1
23-09-09, 12:00 AM
yeah it primes but it keeps pumping though i just dont understand it but mind u are thesse gsi engines unreliable for any reason i travelled about 500 mile alround trip for this engine it does sound different to the first to when i first turned it over it sounds like now like the cambelt snapped but it hasnt its still turning the camshaft and the belt is still tight ive not had the engine running yet so its nothing ive done i just want to have it up and running coz i love my nova ive spent alot of time on it and money please help

jonesy1
23-09-09, 12:03 AM
yeah ivegot fuel cumming out under bonnet when i switch the ignition on or do u think ive bought a nackered engine or does anyone know of anyone selling a cheap gsi engine 8 valve i just want it on the road

Jon_nova1
23-09-09, 12:05 AM
punctuation lol

have you compression tested it?

It may be sounding different because the oils pumped around? if its not been run for a while there will be no oil in the top end at first

fuel rail connected and earthed properly?

fennah
23-09-09, 12:57 AM
if its constantly pumping fuel when the ignition's in the on position there is a problem there , its should only prime for a few seconds then stop , it should only pump constantly when the engine is either turning over or running ,

jonesy1
23-09-09, 01:08 AM
right well how do i join the fuel pump up to the gsi loom i know its the red and blue wire should i join the one that comes off the fuel tank to the gsi loom but still that wont stop it from starting though any further help much appreciated

fennah
23-09-09, 01:15 AM
do you have the fuel pump relay on the gsi loom ? uts a big black relay has a rcouple of red/blue wires , a thick red and a few other colours too its usually behind the inlet manafold on the bulk head / firewall

fennah
23-09-09, 01:19 AM
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r76/novaturbo_album/relay.jpg

jonesy1
23-09-09, 01:41 AM
yeah it has relay on gsi loom and the car had 1.2single point injection wiring loom on although not using that wiring isnt my strongest point any more info appreciated

jonesy1
23-09-09, 01:48 AM
yeah it has the fuel pump relay on the gsi loom wiring isnt my strongest any more info much appreciated

fennah
23-09-09, 02:00 AM
if you can get some pictures up of the connections under the bonnet that you have done will be easier to see if anything stands out , im only in oswestry so not far away , if cant get it sorted on next few days i can try popping up to take a look if i get some spare time ,

jonesy1
23-09-09, 02:16 AM
ok bud ill get some pictures of the connections and cheers mate ill c how it goes let me get a internal fuel pump from scrapper then if it doesnt go then ill c if u have a spare 5 mins if your not to busy and c whats up with it and cheers mate for offering

Stuart
23-09-09, 08:53 AM
last warning on the text typing, then you go in the sin bin for how ever long I fancy.... 24hrs to 2years ;)

jonesy1
23-09-09, 11:45 AM
so it should run then ill get the fuel pump in the next few days otherwise i am stuck any other help much appreciated

jonesy1
23-09-09, 11:17 PM
well does anyone know were there is a cheap gsi engine then

Jon_nova1
23-09-09, 11:25 PM
You don't need a new engine!

do a compression test etc first, if the compression is f*cked then look into a new engine after checking timing etc, if its fine, then its a problem that can be solved as its obviously a fuel problem

whats your location?

Sloth
24-09-09, 12:03 AM
imho its a wiring issue. have you connected the switched live? do you have a haynes? do you have any mates with a decent electrical knowledge?

Stuart
24-09-09, 09:13 AM
imho its a wiring issue. have you connected the switched live? do you have a haynes? do you have any mates with a decent electrical knowledge?

tbh it requries minimal electrical knowledge... it just requries the ability to read lol

jonesy1
24-09-09, 08:08 PM
right well im not getting any fuel back down the return fuel line im not sure if the fuel pressure regulator is stuck or sumat and how do i wire the fuel pump relay from my 1.2 one to the one on my 1.6 gsi loom because the fuel pump relay i think its wired up right coz the ecu is switching on with the ignition and its sparking really good so can anyone help please and im in shrewsbury shropshire

MK999
24-09-09, 08:12 PM
you don't need to wire up the 1.2 fpr to the 1.6 loom, you use the one from the 1.6 loom. I'm guessing you've got some funky wiring going on now so that the 1.2 FPR clicks but isn't actually connected to anything.

jonesy1
24-09-09, 08:14 PM
right well im not getting any fuel down the fuel return its as if the fuel pressure regulator is stuck or sumat its sparking well and the ecu clicks when u switch the ignition on and how do u wire the fuel pump relay from my 1.2 wiring loom to the one on the loom of my 1.6 gsi engine and im in shrewsbury any help much appreciated

jonesy1
24-09-09, 08:18 PM
yeah but how do i wire it up coz the fuel pump is using the 1.2 one can u tell me what needs connecting on the gsi loom to make it use that one or do i cut the wires off the 1.2 one and join to the gsi fuel relay

jonesy1
24-09-09, 08:38 PM
well explain to me how it is all wired up please im sure i can work it out

MK999
24-09-09, 08:43 PM
Red and blue car side gets attached to red and blue loom side for the fuel pump, simple as. Then when the gsi FPR clicks in the pump runs.

jonesy1
24-09-09, 09:11 PM
so i take the red and blue from the 1.2 fpr and join it to the gsi loom i havent done that if thats correct so thats why the fuel pump keeps going when i switch the ignition on what about my fuel pressure regulator coz im not getting any fuel back down the fuel return not even when im turning it over please help

MK999
24-09-09, 09:12 PM
there is an FPR on the gsi loom, you join this to the car loom.

jonesy1
24-09-09, 09:28 PM
yeah theres a fpr on the gsi loom is there a reason for my fuel pressure regulator not letting the fuel back its definently due to fuel that its not starting please help

MK999
24-09-09, 09:32 PM
Probably because, by the sounds of it, you've cocked up the FPR wiring, and it's not even getting any fuel to let it return.

jonesy1
24-09-09, 09:43 PM
the fuel is getting into the fuel rail coz there is fuel coming out of the fuel line under the bonnet but its just not coming out of the return please help

Jon_nova1
25-09-09, 12:10 AM
can you stop text typing? because people just scan over what you've read and type what seems apporpiate lol

the red and blue from the fuel pump goes to the red and blue on the gsi fuel pump relay, the 1.2 relay shouldn't be in the circuit.

are all the earths on? if its a loud clicking from the engine bay, its not earthed properly

fennah
25-09-09, 01:00 AM
try posting some pics up , so we can see wot wires you have connected and if they are right ,

jonesy1
25-09-09, 03:09 AM
ok so do i have to cut the the 1.2 relay off and join the wires to the gsi fuel pump relay and i will try and get some pictures uploaded u will have to excuse some of the wires i just dont want to cut wires that i might need anymore help much appreciated

Stuart
25-09-09, 08:32 AM
STOP ****ING TEXT TYPING OR YOU WILL BE SIN BIN'D (READ THAT AS BANNED!)

also maybe there is some conufsion from the term FPR, as this usually stands for fuel pressre regulator, and I fear it may also be being used for fuel pump relay.... not the msot helpful lol

if there is no fuel coming out of the regulator then either the fuel pump isnt upto the job and isnt putting more than 3bar of fuel down the rail, or the pressure reg is shagged.

MK999
25-09-09, 11:14 AM
FPR is used for both! It's up to the reader to figure out which one it is lol Makes chasing problems more fun :p

Stuart
25-09-09, 12:59 PM
FPR is used for both! It's up to the reader to figure out which one it is lol Makes chasing problems more fun :p

when as "simple" as this one seems, it might not be best to let the reader make the decisions lmao

jonesy1
25-09-09, 01:30 PM
right well its still got the 1.2 fuel pump still in the tank ive got another fuel pump on its way out of a mk3 astra apparantly thats the one to go for should i change the fuel regulator for a power boost valve because ive got one any more help much appreciated

MK999
25-09-09, 03:31 PM
when as "simple" as this one seems, it might not be best to let the reader make the decisions lmao

Note second half of my statement lol

right well its still got the 1.2 fuel pump still in the tank ive got another fuel pump on its way out of a mk3 astra apparantly thats the one to go for should i change the fuel regulator for a power boost valve because ive got one any more help much appreciated

I would avoid max powah boost valves, currently have one on mine as a quick fix to a fuelling issue and the fuelling has gained 'moods' it performs as it likes at random.

jonesy1
25-09-09, 10:21 PM
so what fuelling issues did u have for yours ive wired the fuel pump up to the fuel pump relay so the fuel pump primes and then stops i just need my bigger fuel pump now

MK999
25-09-09, 10:31 PM
Does it start yet? It should run at idle fine with the 1.2 pump.

jonesy1
25-09-09, 11:05 PM
no but its popping and banging when im turning it over are u sure it should start with the 1.2 fuel pump it cant be much wrong now can there

Stuart
25-09-09, 11:12 PM
For your benefit, U is text typing when used in place of you.

I've been more than nice about this you cretin.

fennah
26-09-09, 12:40 AM
you shouldnt need to wire straight into the fuel pump relay there is a connection block on the loom that has a thick red to go to posative a black to go to switched feed + a red/blue for your fuel pump , green for the rev counter

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r76/novaturbo_album/gsiloom.jpg

jonesy1
26-09-09, 09:39 AM
there isnt a red and blue on the connection block but ive sorted that problem out now im hoping that it just wont start because of the fuel pump it was popping and banging yesterday when i was trying it anymore help please much appreciated

fennah
26-09-09, 12:27 PM
are the plug leads in the right order on the dizzy cap , also is inside the dizzy cap clean and no damage etc , check the rubber hose from the inlet manifold to the airflow meter for splits or air leaks ,

jonesy1
26-09-09, 12:40 PM
there right and ive changed the dizzy cap for a brand new one and the leads are on right its 1342 and the rubber hose to the inlet all have no cracks is there anything else you can think of buddy

fennah
26-09-09, 01:02 PM
have you checked that the crank and cambelt timming marks all line up , also if the engine has been standing a while pull the rotor arm off inside the dizzy and check there is no corrosion on the shaft and also that the rotor arm is sitting correctly in its slot, if there is any corrosion on shaft give a rub with wet/dry sandpaper and refit

fennah
26-09-09, 01:06 PM
also if you have the fault code wire hooked up to the dash have you tried doing a check to see if the ecu is picing up any problems anywhere

jonesy1
26-09-09, 02:59 PM
ive pulled the rotor arm off there was a bit of surface rust but ive cleaned that up now it sounds better now im turning it over and were are the marks for the timing its just to double check that it looks right and how do i do the check to see if the ecu is picking up any problems any more help much appreciated

fennah
26-09-09, 05:33 PM
click this link it will show you how to read the fault codes http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/fault_codes/fault_codes.htm

jonesy1
26-09-09, 08:30 PM
yeah but i havent got a tool to plug in to find the code many thanks

fennah
26-09-09, 08:54 PM
you dont need a tool to plug in if you read the link u find the conector under the bonnet look very closly at the connector and u will see were each wire goes in its will have A B C D ETC,,, locate a and b and use a paper clip or piece of wire to connect these two together , ten switch on your ignition and the ecu light on the dash will start flashing to give you a number code , if there are any faults , its all in that link ^^^^^^^^^

jonesy1
27-09-09, 11:57 AM
cheers buddy ill have a look tomorrow is there anything else you can think of that might be wrong many thanks

jonesy1
01-10-09, 12:24 PM
my ecu is reading no faults its nearly starting i think it must be the fuel pump so im doing that now anymore help much appreciated