PDA

View Full Version : Talk about hacked right off

Dan
20-09-09, 06:39 PM
Now it is very rare that i temporarily loose my rag as many of you know, but my god what a crock of crap this car hunting lark is, especially within the current market where every car has decided to gain 1500 quid odd over the average values.

I say that abit tongue in cheek as i am sure there are some genuine priced cars around, but with the none to zero spare time i have to actually get out and about i have been scouring all of common and many of the uncommon places the last month or so to watch prices creep up. I was aware of this before that donkey decided to pull out and write my vectra off, but now i am on the recieving end of trying to find a car to replace it.

Decision........... i am thinking about putting the big money in the bank and just buying a crap old banger diesel car and accepting the fact that after saving to get something decent (in my eyes) then loosing it that maybe i just shouldnt bother. the Pay out was ballpark for what i had to be fair going by the normal rules, but with every tom, dick and harry banging the prices up to coin in on the recession hit new car market, i would have to drop to such a crap car in comparison, and watch it depreciate at such a rate in 12-24 months time when everything starts to recover that i feel its like pissing in the wind making an effort :(

Again those that know me understand thats its rare to see me hit rock bottom but i just cant see any light at the end of the tunnel on this one, and worst of all i cant even think of a crap cheap car that would look after me for 30k a year motoring that i would 'almost' like. I looked at every single model on the planet new and old with nothing that jumps out and says "YOOHOO".

I WILL NOT get a loan, not even a few grand to give me 10k to play with, as i have no debts in my life and i dont intend to get my first one now. Everything i own is paid for and will always remain that way (apart from a small mortgage).

Apologies for the rant but that is my first venting of frustration in public, and as i have been a little quiet of late i thought i would post with abit of a bang for a change.

(i wont even go into the hassles of trying to buy a house with the full amount to hand and not finding one/ noone willing to sell me one apart from the full asking price which i refuse to do, so i can move :wtf: )

muzzy
20-09-09, 06:43 PM
Valuations at the moment are crazy, around here cars that should be in the scrap yard are up for sale around £600-1000 some without a hint of an MOT and thats the bottom of the scale. Why do people think that in this current climate that it's a good idea to bump the price of everything up when alot of people are a tight budget and most vehicles are now out of their price range even for a "cheap" runaround.

DAFTJOHN
20-09-09, 06:50 PM
There are thousands of cars for sale but if you want something that does grab your attention then you'll have to pay what the seller wants?

An 03 Astra diesel for examle - cheap and will do the mileage.

tbf I don't see the cost of cars going up too

Dan
20-09-09, 07:07 PM
well i average 30k a year, i prefer the bigger cars from the range, the car i lost was a 54 plate vectra elite cdti with 60k on the clock, leather and all the toys including dab radio etc etc etc, very clean example. I got paid out pretty much what i paid for it 18mths ago but the same car now or cars of similar spec are averaging around the 6-7k mark and they have more miles and mostly all need 500 or so spent on them to bring them upto scratch for trouble free motoring.

As regards thousands of cars heres a 'small' list of where i have been looking for a car that would be of similar spec and size (give a take a year or two age wise depending on the marque).....

Jags x type/s type
Mercedes c220 +
Bmw 3 series and 5 series
Alfa 156's
Mazda 6's
Mondeo ghia, ghia x, titanium
Vectra elite/sri's (would own the same again no probs)
Saabs
Volvo s40 and s60
Honda accords

Beyond that i have done the usual astra's etc etc also. The aim of the game is it must be a diesel as i have that supplied and must do an easy 60k miles so looking at the 50-70k tops mileage range. I am a great fan of most cars after 2004 as all marques started producing cars i liked the look of for one reason or another, anything before that and i just aswell get a ****ter tbh as all models had run the lengths of their current lives before facelifts and remodelling.

I am just a victim of the current climate wish sucks, and after years of saving if i spent my money i would like something at least almost equal to what someone took from me which for what i got paid out wouldnt of been a problem before. i refuse to spend the same amount on a crappy car that will be worth less than zero in 2 years time, hence i might just buy a crappy one to start with. Doesnt make me feel any better though

paddy138
20-09-09, 07:56 PM
you should just but something cheap like a 99shape avensis 2.0td,and put your money in the bank, cause there is to many dreamers out there that are starting to bang up the prices of used cars again

muzzy
20-09-09, 07:59 PM
Yeh i would go with buying something cheap and boring, far from ideal but its better to hold onto your cash until the point the market sorts itself out, although when that will be is a different story. No point spending cash on something your not going to be entirely happy with and regretting it a few months down the line and lose out on more money because of the depreciation on the car.

Stuart
20-09-09, 08:48 PM
Thought you picked up a 110 on friday lol

John
20-09-09, 08:49 PM
Off topic! (loling v hard at you avatar stu!)

bmw156
20-09-09, 09:03 PM
get a redtop nova, easy to work on. cheap in comparison to you 5k ish cav, and if its just standard reasonably reliable as well.

John
20-09-09, 09:04 PM
get a redtop nova, easy to work on. cheap in comparison to you 5k ish cav, and if its just standard reasonably reliable as well.

lol he's already got one!

Mike
20-09-09, 09:05 PM
I would not want to do 30k+ a year in a fricken Nova!!

Jack
20-09-09, 09:30 PM
Avensis? We're getting a derv estate one at work as the new office hack, they're rated well on Parkers

Ash
20-09-09, 09:32 PM
I know exactly what you mean Dan, I'm seeing the values rise weekly and potental customers on the phone telling us theres a recession and we should be selling cheap. Im not sure if its the same for cars. Strangely we can't get our hands on enough vans to sell. Stock has completely dried up! New and used, we can't find a new VW Crafter MWB in the country (09 plate)

I purchased my car back in Jan as it's generally a good time to buy any way, but I've seen the value actually rise by £1,000 on a £3,500 car! its insane.

Anyway, I would recommend to you a Seat Leon FR Diesel or if you want a boot a Torlado:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3548/3367446769_55bd54e572.jpg

For a Leon your probably looking around the £5k mark and the Torlado more like £3.5k -£4k. They've pretty much hit the end of there deperacation and could be quite a good stop gap for you. Handle pretty sweet too. FR can come with a Cupra R kit and wheels with 150bhp derv.

(yes I will talk everyone into a Leon Lol)

EDIT: Or if you want something newer, those 2.2 Derv Honda Accords look pretty tasty ;)

Dan
20-09-09, 09:48 PM
i've been there to ash, there are ALOT of cars i have missed off my list, the key thing is the mileage as if i spent the full amount i would want at least 2 years from the car which would mean nothing too high.

bmw156 your comment is ok, but alas i have driven many variants of cars from a luxury barge down to a fully stripped out track nova and most things in between as daily drives. I've been driving since you were about 5 years old and in that time i have become to appreciate what requirements tailor for certain situations, hence i like a cruiser for my daily stuff and i have the wide arched XE for my fun time when i actually get some. Also if i do get crashed into or crash, the bigger the better as my last 2 attempts have proven. With more miles done each year the greater the risk, and in a nova the last 2 would of probably seen me seriously fecked imo. Can i get a cruiser, probably not tbh, but thats what i would 'prefer'

Jack the "eee" "esss" "esttttt", nope cant bring myself to say it, that swear word was used once and nipped in the bud upon being said, she didnt speak to me for a few hours after i put that one to bed. Also avensis, flip the book and say you was buying the car, would you get one???? lol

mowgli
20-09-09, 09:52 PM
dan. work out what you really want, make a shortlist & get down the auctions.

Jack
20-09-09, 09:53 PM
Jack the "eee" "esss" "esttttt", nope cant bring myself to say it, that swear word was used once and nipped in the bud upon being said, she didnt speak to me for a few hours after i put that one to bed. Also avensis, flip the book and say you was buying the car, would you get one???? lol
No, but then I wouldn't be in the market for a big comfy new-ish derv. I'd spunk the money on something totally daft and impractical lol

Dan
20-09-09, 09:59 PM
yeh mowgli, thought of that, but its the time issue thing, i have a crap load of gabions to do for a kitchen garden retainer and now another landy to build (110, 12 seater, for a charity) so time is a nono.

Gabions are normally a doddle, but as i have blagged decent bath walling stone for £10.50 a tonne we have been fussy, and shocked alot of the top architects with the quality, good in that sense, but bad as we have another 80 to do and the standard is set (all hand laid)

That means nothing to 99.9% of you but mowgli will know the **** ache of a job i have created lol lol

General Baxter
20-09-09, 10:05 PM
dan. work out what you really want, make a shortlist & get down the auctions.

you been to the one in wolvo, its ****ing funny,

merc or beemer 'there' like fly around curry in a bid war

Mike
20-09-09, 10:11 PM
you been to the one in wolvo, its ****ing funny,

merc or beemer 'there' like fly around curry in a bid war

That is true :thumb:

Considered any Volvo's Dan?

Dan
20-09-09, 10:20 PM
yep they are on the list above, the s40/s60 are ok but again the newer shape from 04/54 onwards are soooooooo much better than the previous variant it would have to be one of them

mowgli
20-09-09, 10:24 PM
yeh mowgli, thought of that, but its the time issue thing, i have a crap load of gabions to do for a kitchen garden retainer and now another landy to build (110, 12 seater, for a charity) so time is a nono.

Gabions are normally a doddle, but as i have blagged decent bath walling stone for £10.50 a tonne we have been fussy, and shocked alot of the top architects with the quality, good in that sense, but bad as we have another 80 to do and the standard is set (all hand laid)

That means nothing to 99.9% of you but mowgli will know the **** ache of a job i have created lol lol

Yup, I've only ever done one gabion job. I enjoyed it, but one gabion does take ages to get the front to look right, filling the backs in is easy though. I had put a few drystone walls up in the past though

Dan
20-09-09, 10:30 PM
yep same as, but the guy thats working for me was struggling so i got my old chipping hammers out etc and have joined in for something to do, the biggest ball ache is at one point i have 3 high on a vertical face for a green house to attach to, so the face is critical as is the back to maintain an exact true face, and due to the fact its a green house i have designed it to be thermally efficient so i can make use of the thermal properties of the stone (big radiator) to reduce the curve of temperature shift within the green house during night and day. that involves alot of jiggery poker behind and inbetween the basket ends :wtf:

mowgli
20-09-09, 10:34 PM
dan, you know i get jealous with your building projects..... I never get the chance to do much stuff like that. its a pity you don't have access to loads of broken glass, cos that is a fantastic thermal store.......you could face it with stone & back it with glass, or at least fill in the gaps

Welsh Dan
20-09-09, 10:37 PM
What didn't you like about the mondeo Dan?

Dan
20-09-09, 10:40 PM
the glass could also be used in the base, that will be protected from the natural ground by a foil based floor underlay to reflect the cold, then under floor heating just incase of a bad winter, and my theory (one of) was to use crushed glass in the concrete for the obvious reasons. But that would require a minimum of fibrecrete so it had some form of bond due to the smooth nature of the glass making the concrete an unknown compared to normal granular materials blah blah blah. The greenhouse is planned to be fully double glazed with electronic controllers on the doors /roof panels to regulate the temperature so it doesnt get too hot.

This is just the kitchen garden to keep me occupied until we get the house finalised lol

the mondeo is ok, but again the prices are creeping up and i'd want the 130 6 speed minimum and a decent spec for the values they come in at, not just an 'lx'

Welsh Dan
20-09-09, 10:50 PM
I hear where you're coming from with that, mine is an LX 130 6 speed, but it did come with cruise control, AC, heated front screen+mirrors+washers, which was enough for me. What's your budget?

mowgli
20-09-09, 10:50 PM
Dan, I think that lafarge were playing with glass in concrete. i will look thru my bumpfh file at work, but I think that as long as you keep the slump fairly low, then it turns out ok.

Dan
20-09-09, 10:55 PM
Dan i was looking at a maximum of 6k, but that would be an easy 12mths no hassle drive with no costs, and a very decent spec, max 60k on clock, which 6-12 months ago was alot easier when i didnt need a car lol My main reason for leather was i am of the breed that can walk into a white room and come out filthy, and leather is wipe clean for when i have the suit on etc, cloth seats are okkkkk but not ideal

Mowgli if you find that info pass it onto me as would be interesting :thumb:

Lee
20-09-09, 11:00 PM
I see the problem. Your being a picky old git lol

At present you only need something to get you to work and back, so buy a complete crock of crap for 400 quid and save the money until something DOES come and say 'YOOHOOO'.

Ive spent the last two years using crock of craps, and ive probably spent less than I would have done buying one decent car.

My crock of poo of choice would be find an early diesel Ovlov 850.

EDIT: Quick scan on egay found this. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1990-VOLVO-740-ESTATE-TURBO-DIESEL-GREY-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ200384934457QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAu tomobiles_UK?hash=item2ea7df7239&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Welsh Dan
20-09-09, 11:03 PM
I agree with you about the prices. I bought mine exactly 12 months ago, 6 months later I could have got a Titanium X on the same year and mileage for the same cash.

I did a few searches on autotrader and there are quite a few that meet your criteria.

Things to watch on both the 2.0 and 2.2 are the auxiliary belt and tensioner as they reach around 70k-100k @£200ish, DMF's as per any modern diesel, but the fords tend to be cheaper/easy to convert to SMF. EGR's clog up when used on short journeys, but its an hours work to sort that out. Injectors can pack up anywhere between 50k and 200k depending on what fuel/additives have been used it seems lol.

Jon_nova1
20-09-09, 11:14 PM
The problem is the scrappage scheme, less bangers on the road means everyones after cheap cars, pushing values up

ever considered an alfa?

Stuart
21-09-09, 09:51 AM
ever considered an alfa?

no, just NO!!!!

the good loooking ones have shagged underneaths and the shagged bodys have spangly underneaths.. you cant seem to get a happy medium lol

craig green
21-09-09, 05:54 PM
Say no to Alfa's. As nice as they can be, they are utter money pits.

I sympathise with you Dan. It is quite a quandry to be in.

VVanky old Nissan Primera 1600 petrol FTW.

Jack
21-09-09, 06:01 PM
Having just taken delivery of the Avensis, I'd recommend one :d

and yes, they do them in saloon versions if you don't want an estate lol

Sloth
21-09-09, 06:07 PM
im with him/\

go look at an avensis T180 diesel. top of the range, and brill on juice. and can be chipped to 220bhp. the only 150mph taxi cab.

Jack
21-09-09, 06:19 PM
Ours is a 59 plate TR, muchos nice. Aside from the flappy gearbox lol

Hmm.... dare I suggest an MG ZS?

[edit] Sloth, make your sig smaller and I'll stop playing with it lol

Lee
21-09-09, 11:34 PM
Dars got a D4D Avensis. Nice bit of kit :)

CP
22-09-09, 10:37 PM
Is leasing or contract hire worth a look? Interest rates are relatively low and all the costs are known up front. Also I think I'm right in saying that if you had been on a such a scheme you would now be back on the road with an equivalent car? If you go back into the 2nd hand car market you will effectively kiss good bye to £1500-2000 up front to maintain the std of car you were driving . I suppose it depends on how much value you put on having a decent motor for the couple of hours each day you use it. I cant see you getting a car that you like otherwise

Lee
22-09-09, 11:17 PM
Angry dan has come out smelling of roses again. I wont steal his thunder apart from saying that the reason the country is in the poo is because Dan has everyones luck. lol