PDA

View Full Version : rattling xe

love em
19-09-09, 08:29 PM
hi im half way threw my xe nova project and iv just got it runnin after the engine has sat on the floor for about 8 months i put new oils in as standard for lookin after it and it started but its pretty rattly and cant really tell where its coming from but i think its top end could the tappits have any thing to do with this noise or what else could it be , can the tappits b squeezed or is it advissable to just get new 1s , a friend sed that xe,s tend to rattle wen 1st started any ways but im not takin any chances so the car will sit there til i have sum ideas on what this is any help wil be greatly appreaciated thanks jj

Nobby
19-09-09, 08:36 PM
yup mate some xe's tick like a cvh on startup just make sure that you have enough oil in and when its warm it should stop. I used a Forte top end treatment in mine and it stopped the ticking straight off. I believe you can clean the lifters?

chimp007_uk
19-09-09, 08:37 PM
Get a big screw driver, put it to your ear and go round the engine and listen for where its coming from...

If its been sitting the oil could have drained from the tappets.

I'd run it for a bit and see if they fill and quieten down.

Spudly
19-09-09, 08:42 PM
If it doesnt quieten down, turn it off and check all of your oil breathers and the oil pickup in the sump, my pickup snapped off and starved the top end of oil:eek:

General Baxter
19-09-09, 08:45 PM
just large block tap tap tap lol

tbh for the time your going to take the out and test them, might aswell fit new