PDA

View Full Version : Fitting manual windows / other weight loss

teej
19-09-09, 08:58 AM
I'm trying to come up with ways of losing weight in the Nova, and am wondering if anyone has converted from electric windows to manual winders. Is it possible / easy, or should I look for some doors with manual winders already fitted? Is it even worth it? (weight loss of motors etc vs cost and effort of respraying and fitting)

I want to keep the car legal for pre-93 classic racing, so have to retain steel doors and glass. No polycarb / lexan allowed. :(

Minimum race weight is kerbweight less 10% (including driver). Is kerbweight on a GTE about 820kg?

leggattr
19-09-09, 09:17 AM
you need to get hold of manual lifters and rivit them in were the electric lifters are. get some window winders and thats about it. dont no what weight loss that would give you

Jon_nova1
19-09-09, 09:35 AM
your racing it?

why do you need manual winders? just put a big bolt through the inner door and window rail or just do it to one lol

you shouldn't really struggle to lose that kind of weight if its just for racing

Balley
19-09-09, 09:46 AM
there maybe 500g lighter, not really worth it !

teej
19-09-09, 11:13 AM
I've raced it in the past, mothballed it for a couple of years while suspension and a few other bits got sorted. I want operational windows, but thought the window motors might weigh a bit. It does get occasional road use, and might be driven to and from events if I can't get hold of a trailer when I need it.

It's currently stripped and caged, still all steel and glass. I have to keep the glass, and can only replace bonnet and tailgate with lightened materials (fibreglass) but tailgate is ruled out by having to keep the glass. Car weighs about 760kg (with two seats) and I reckon I can drop another 90kg to be within weight limit. I can do the obvious stuff like gutting the dash (have to keep the dash itself), lightening boot, doors etc, but am trying to think if there's any other little bits I can do.

More power is expensive - losing weight can be free! (and no, there's not a lot I can get rid of from me).

Jon_nova1
19-09-09, 11:18 AM
what about bumpers?

I know someone that drives around with thier numper plate screwed to the panels lol

teej
19-09-09, 11:30 AM
Have to run them - not sure if they can be replaced with fibreglass ones. Front reinforcement bar is gone already.

AlexW
19-09-09, 12:14 PM
If you want some manual winders pm me, some you can have for postage cost.... If i can find them lol

But as said, the holes are already there for the winders iirc.