PDA

View Full Version : DHLA 40's - Rebuild/Trumpet/Filter Choice ?

Nick
18-09-09, 11:14 AM
Right, Got some Questions regarding DHLA 40's.

I've been cleaning mine up; and they're looking pretty good. However, i plan to get them rebuilt/do it myself so i'l leave the full overhaul till then.

1 - I noticed the Rebuild Kits are about £49, how hard/fiddly are they to do ? I'm crap with tiny intricate things !

2 - I've got short trumpets, .. Mainly for bulkhead/K&N clearance.

Whats the Gen on Trumpet size ? Full Radius ? I've got no bulkhead now and plan on using a big pipercross Box filter, so i have much much more space now.

3 - I'm gonna go for a Piperx Box rather than the 40mm K&N pancakes i have now. Anything else to consider ?

bmw156
18-09-09, 11:34 AM
i am cuttently looking into thee atm as well.

i not sure how much you know or dont.

but jet sizes, and choke sizes need to be good for th engine your putting them on.

and i think, the length of the trumpets affect how the car accelarates and top end speed. so IIRC short trumpet for quick accel, long for better top end.

Nick
18-09-09, 11:46 AM
i am cuttently looking into thee atm as well.

i not sure how much you know or dont.

but jet sizes, and choke sizes need to be good for th engine your putting them on.

and i think, the length of the trumpets affect how the car accelarates and top end speed. so IIRC short trumpet for quick accel, long for better top end.
I've had them on a 1600 for 4 Years, so Chokes/Jets should be all good - Although my last setup by Protec in preston left alot to be desired for.

As far as i'm aware trumpets affect Torque and Power, which is minimal unless your using them on a highly tuned engine - which i will be this time. I even remember reading on a Caterham forum that K&N Pancake filters are good on race applications do to a pulsation effect caused by the solid backing plates on either side.. hmmm lol

rubachuk
18-09-09, 12:04 PM
Not incredibly helpful but I was very unhappy with the job Protec did on my DHLAs. They come very highly recommended as far as Nova Sports go, and therefore Webers, but for me they know squat about Dellortos.

I had deeper twin K&N filters on mine, approx 80mm deep, managed to fit them with the bulkhead in place too. Performed nicely, not that I ever ran with anything else apart from open trumpets so not a great point of reference

Nick
18-09-09, 12:07 PM
Yeah same here, They were a complete sack of ****...

Ran the car up and changed jets assuming the engine was standard. Had to take it back 3 times... Ended up with a overfueling flat spot. Never went back

They told me my carbs were old and knackered.

Stuart
18-09-09, 12:09 PM
rebuild is fairly straight forward aslong as you are meticulous with everything and keep hold of any bits that ping out lol

basically tis going to be gaskets (easy) the odd jet/valve and resetting the floats. Oh and cleaning the gunk/water out. Also ensure the spindles are straight etc

Nick
18-09-09, 12:15 PM
Cheers Stu, I had a lookie on the Eurocarb site and the kit seems to be mainly gaskets. Anyone have any recomended torque settings !? Or just tight-but not crushingly tight ?

Also, The only real part for concern is the butterfly spindle movement, it's rough as anything on both carbs, Anyone know where i can get a kit to rebuild them ?