PDA

View Full Version : GAZ Coilovers knocking

hc coupe
18-09-09, 09:33 AM
Hi,

My suspension has started to knock on the passengers side front.I went over a drain cover and it must have shock something lose.

When I took a look at the suspension everything looks to be normal. However if I put my weight on the side of the car, the suspension moves down with out the whole top mount following. It seems to slide down and leave the nut (gold) where it is at the same height....when I take the pressure off the suspension the unit sides back up meeting the nut making the knocking noise ?!? (in comparison the other side all moves down as one complete unit, nut included. )

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee225/_Tarmac_Terrorist_/DSC00213.jpg

It all moves down besides the gold little nut.......any thoughts would be a great help. It seems to me that its not all compressing down as it should but why and how to resolve it I do not know........... :confused:

Thank you

pikey1986
18-09-09, 09:39 AM
i had a similar problem with my suspension but ive got spax shocks, turned out the nut in the middle needed tightening up

novaxe235
18-09-09, 09:42 AM
the top mount is probably loose try tightening the "gold" nut up .

hc coupe
18-09-09, 09:47 AM
I had a "tinker" around with it last night as it was getting too dark (I swear it gets dark much quicker than it gets lighter in the spring...hmmmmm)

errrm.... yeah I had a play about and the nut appears to be tight. It just doesn't go down with the whole unit.... I THINK?

hc coupe
18-09-09, 08:10 PM
update !!

Rightee oohh,

I've taken the whole shock off and taken a look at it.

The "gold nut" isn't able to tighten or losen. It just seems to spin along with the rod. So I'm not sure if its clamed down on the shock allowing it to move.

So i can't even get the nut off ?

What would people recommend ??

Cheers

Tom

MK999
18-09-09, 08:13 PM
the gold nut is attached the shock shaft, you need to stop that spinning to tighten it, just make sure you don't scratch the piston shaft.

Iain
18-09-09, 08:13 PM
I don't really understand the explanation, but from the picture the gold nut isn't clamped down on the topmount bearing? You'll probs need an airgun on the gold nut to remove it (or tighten it up).

Sorry if I'm repeating something you've just said lol

pikey1986
18-09-09, 08:16 PM
clamp the little nipple thing that sticks up from nut (if that makes sense)

Iain
18-09-09, 08:17 PM
clamp the little nipple thing that sticks up from nut (if that makes sense)

That nipple thing poking out is the damping adjuster, not a good idea to clamp this unless you want to snap it off. :)

Will F
18-09-09, 08:17 PM
I don't really understand the explanation, but from the picture the gold nut isn't clamped down on the topmount bearing? You'll probs need an airgun on the gold nut to remove it (or tighten it up).

Sorry if I'm repeating something you've just said lol

Nail head.

That nut should be clamped against the bearing in the top mount - I can see a 2 cm gap! lol

hc coupe
18-09-09, 08:21 PM
So what is the best way for me to stop the rod from spining , with out scratching it ?

pikey1986
18-09-09, 08:22 PM
That nipple thing poking out is the damping adjuster, not a good idea to clamp this unless you want to snap it off. :)

i thought that after i posted sorrylol

MK999
18-09-09, 08:23 PM
mole grips and a tea towel or something, some sort of rubber block would be even better if you have something like that around, as it would grip as well. Or get to a garage and try an air gun like Iain mentioned

hc coupe
18-09-09, 08:24 PM
Thank you for your help by the way !!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MK999 again.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Will F again.

Iain
18-09-09, 08:24 PM
Air gun to tighten it down on to the bearing would be easiest.

You could try some WD40 and shocking it with a hammer to budge it to show enough of the top of the piston to grip with small spanner/molegrips (like Pikey suggested, but as I said before avoid the adjuster!).

Edit: Too slow!

hc coupe
18-09-09, 08:45 PM
Well that still keeps turning around !!

What are the odds its cross threaded ?

The other side seems to be at a similar hight to this one however i can still tighten or losen that side?

Iain
18-09-09, 08:48 PM
Did you forget to fit the bottom insert/spacer to the problem side?

hc coupe
18-09-09, 09:07 PM
I'm not sure as I didn't put the suspension on. I'm now not sure if there should be one or not or even if there is one on .....F sake lol

Iain
18-09-09, 09:13 PM
Whip them off and dismantle them both! Might as well make sure they're both right while you're there.

hc coupe
02-10-09, 09:03 AM
** new news **

Hello ,

Ok following on from last weeks attempts:

I have since taken both sides off and found out I need to put a spacer in , to raise the height of the top mount because the nut didn't have enough thread to tighten down on the top mount....

However consequently, I need a new "gold nut " (x1) and spacers (x2 about 5mm) ?

Does anywhere sell these off the shelf ??

Cheers

Tom

MK999
02-10-09, 10:40 AM
phone rallydesign and just ask them to send you some? They probably have them kicking around as their top mounts are machined in house afaik.

hc coupe
02-10-09, 01:12 PM
Right, Phoned up GAZ, and there are going to post me a new nut today,

------ Top people GAZ , will use them again and again as this isn't the first problem they have sorted me out on ------

Next is to get some spacers.....or raise the ride height ?

Thanks for everyone's help !!!