PDA

View Full Version : What wheels?????

JonR
17-09-09, 08:15 PM
Hello, I'm new to all this so I could do with some advise. I have a Nova with a set of RFX 's on. They are too wide and catch the inner back arches when going over a bump or with the slightest of weight in. I think they are 6.5J x 14. They are fitted with 185 tyres. Can these wheels be spaced to stop this catching or are they simply too wide for the car? Shame really as they suit the car! Cheers fellas. Jonathan.:confused:

Mike B GTE
18-09-09, 02:38 PM
at 6.5J wide on a 185 tyre they certainly shouldnt be too wide, it sounds as though they may be the wrong offset. Spacing them out is only going to make it worse. You could get a few mm machined off the wheel face thus reducing the offset and bringing in a bit, but in the long run might be worth investing in some new rims.

GDN16v
18-09-09, 03:37 PM
If theyre catching on the shocker side of the wheel, then get some thin wheel spacers to space it out - easy!

Other way as said above will need some work done at a machine shop to get some taking off the mounting hub, but dont take to much off as it will reduce the clearance on the other side!:eek:

craig green
18-09-09, 03:53 PM
6.5"J is about as wide as you want to go on a Nova however.

Check the offset (ET**) & see what they are, should be cast or stamped into the back of a wheel. You will find that mk2's have a smaller arch lip, thus more clearance than mk1's. Also different tyre manufacturers come up to diff sizes, so it might be you have particularly bulky 185's.