PDA

View Full Version : Nova scale model (1:18)

ade
06-03-03, 12:04 PM
Was gonna put this is styling but its actually more general info (plus general seems to be busier!)

As you know I'm gathering ideas for a new project - gathering tech drawings, interiors, styles etc...
To help me before I start, I decided to make an accurate scale model of a nova so I can design the look I want before diving head 1st and spend tons of cash and fcuk it up (optomistic as ever!)

To do this I've started to build a (approx) 1:18 scale nova (approx 25cm long, 10cm high and about 11cm wide) fully detailed right down to the alloy style, skirts and body kit. Basically a smaller version of a pre production model car manufacturers make before production starts.
The pics below are just the start - carved from styrofoam this will form the basic skeleton of the project - the next stage is to layer with synthetic clay, then to make a mould, make a copy, clean up and add the detail like kits etc...

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=422

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=421

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=420

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=419

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=418

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=417

As a direct result of this I will (in the next few weeks/months) be able to offer anyone who wants one, an accurate 1:18 scale model of your nova, right down to the body kit, arch style (wide/standard), colour and alloys you have, based on photographs from different angles of your car.

These models will be accurate representations of the outside of the car - as in pre production, the windows will be blacked out (no internal detailing), will come boxed and mounted on a presentation board.

They will be rare as I dont know of any 1:18 scale novas about so each one will have a certificate of authenticity ( 8) ) so when I'm famous you'll have a work of art.

I've yet to work out prices, but as theyre all hand crafted prob looking somewhere in the region of ?50 (+- a bit depending on kit, work involved etc).

As this one develops, I'll keep you posted.

Ade
8)

wisewood
06-03-03, 12:09 PM
i remember you mentioning this before mate, was wondering what happened to the idea. wish i had a decent nova to have done now... coz mine would look silly :lol:

mikeoxford
06-03-03, 12:10 PM
im first in-line ade mate 8) :D

ade
06-03-03, 12:14 PM
wisewood - it doesnt necessarily have to be your car - if you like the look of someone elses and want a model of it, all i need is pics of the car.

Make a great present for someone

frog_southampton
06-03-03, 12:21 PM
the pics dont work 4 me?

wisewood
06-03-03, 12:25 PM
no they dont work for me either - forgot to mention that.

ade
06-03-03, 12:26 PM
I'll upload them to NL (theyre on yahoo at the mo) - possible yahoo have changed links

Ade

wisewood
06-03-03, 12:30 PM
email em to me if you want ade and i will put em in my novaload file storage.

mikeoxford
06-03-03, 12:33 PM
email em to me if you want ade and i will put em in my novaload file storage.

:lol: havent you got work to do

brian
06-03-03, 12:35 PM
sounds good ade. i want mine done! :wink:

ade
06-03-03, 12:49 PM
thats the pics tferred to NL and uploaded to the above - should now work (cheers for offer wisewood but all done)

Ade
8)

brian
06-03-03, 12:59 PM
they are comming out excellent ade :wink:

Tilly
06-03-03, 01:20 PM
8) i'll have one done of the new one when its finished

novax
06-03-03, 02:10 PM
I'll have one of those Dude, "X" will be back soon as they're preping for primer this weekend :D :D :D :D

?50 a good price as well, what will the finished models be made from?

Jim
06-03-03, 02:13 PM
Where did you get your styrofoam from Ade? The only place I can get it from is my old Uni, not sure if they'd appreciate me walking in there after graduating 3 years ago, lol. Also, how much are you paying for it?

Jim

pickle2000
06-03-03, 04:08 PM
They look mint ade.... are you some sort of artist, or sculpter... :)
I will definately have one of those when you have finalised the process. My car still needs some work doing to it before I will have one though. One question - will you be able to make a model of my car, and put on a different bumpa, or bonnet vents, etc?
Possiblity - You could make the basic model - one for a Mk1 and one for a Mk2 of the car, and have the bumpers, spoilers, sides, etc as seperate bits that are interchangable. Mix'n'match nova models....?
Just a thought....

PM me when you are ready to start production....

ade
06-03-03, 04:48 PM
Slim - styrofoam comes in various grades and I've discovered you can get it at Jewsons builders merchants (they use it to insulate houses!!!)

Its not cheap (about ?40 for a board - 1.5m long and 60cm wide) but it last for ages!

And yes, the idea is that you get a model of YOUR car - vents, bumpers, and all, regardless of whether its a mk1 or mk2 - the shells the same just slightly modified parts.

I've got a degree is model making/special effects so can produce accurate scale models / prototypes etc. Hoping these will go some way to expanding my portfolio - I'm not actually working in the industry at the mo - :cry: - desperate to get back into it!

Future plans also include making full sized custom kits and "replicas" so I'll keep you posted once I'm up and running (end of this year some time...)

Ade
:wink:

kinky nova
06-03-03, 05:04 PM
i know you said nova models but..........
is there any chance of a bmw z3 ??????
i should have it by july at latest
let me know as that would be real funky

wisewood
06-03-03, 05:09 PM
you keeping the nova too?
if not, not much point getting a kit for it.

kinky nova
06-03-03, 05:22 PM
the novas just a project car for me to play with
i might sell it when the works complete dunno
but z3 is for impressing people at cruises ect
and need to find someone to christen the z3 with

wisewood
06-03-03, 05:24 PM
well if that means what it think it means you aint gonna have much room so it better be someone small :lol:

*looks around the room*

ahhhh... ALEX!!! YOURE WANTED MATE!!!

;)

ade
06-03-03, 05:25 PM
at the mo plans are to stick with novas - however depending on how this goes I will prob branch out. Depends on the market - making several of the same car is cheaper than making a one off (need to make a styrofoam model skeleton from scratch etc). I could do it (open to commissions) but it would be over ?100 - time, costs etc.

But then you would have a totally uniqye model of YOUR car

Ade

kinky nova
06-03-03, 05:27 PM
WISEWOOD you liar !!!!!!!!!
ade money wouldn't matter coz it aint me that'd be paying for it :lol:

Chris LR
06-03-03, 07:20 PM
If you keep it the right side of ?50 you can put my name down.
Gives me somethin else to keep standard.

onephatnova
06-03-03, 10:39 PM
ade, yeah if it was about ?50, put my name down for one pls.

i've got an ickle white matchbox Nova, that races around on my dash above the glove compartment :) i've been meaning to paint it red similar to mine for ages. i havent got round to it yet, but i will :twisted:

but a propper scale model of ONEPHATNOVA2.0 would be cool too... 8) 8) 8)

ade
06-03-03, 10:41 PM
u heard from that guy yet? any idea what state its in?

Post some pics when you get it

See wot I missed out on (or didnt as the case maybe)

onephatnova
06-03-03, 10:59 PM
yeah i got a couple of emails from him today. Apparently its based on a blue std 1.2 C reg, but with a 2L 8V engine in it. The brakes & suspension have been uprated. He's supposed to be emailing me some piccies, but i havent got em yet. I'll post em up when i get em...

kinky nova
06-03-03, 11:12 PM
have you paid for it yet :?:

ade
07-03-03, 09:53 AM
(pics of 2ltr nova look good for age of car!)

I'm interested in why he couldnt be arsed to e-mail me prior to the auction closing. Bloody ignorant if you ask me.

How u getting it back to yours?

Ade

kinky nova
07-03-03, 10:03 AM
well if that means what it think it means you aint gonna have much room so it better be someone small :lol:

*looks around the room*

ahhhh... ALEX!!! YOURE WANTED MATE!!!

;)

size of person wont matter
its gotta be a soft top :lol:

Jim
07-03-03, 06:57 PM
Slim - styrofoam comes in various grades and I've discovered you can get it at Jewsons builders merchants (they use it to insulate houses!!!)

Hmmm, might have to take a pop down to my local jewsons and see what they have got. IT would come in handy to be able to sculpt some one off speaker pods and other interior mods.

Cheers Ade.

Jim

ade
08-03-03, 10:02 AM
thats what I plan too m8!

Well list night I applied the 1st layer of clay to the foam skeleton and formed the basic shape - looking good. Got massive arches at the mo - need to trim them down!

I'll post pics later (at work at the mo :( )

Slim - thats what I intend to do too - you'll have probs joining it to make it thicker (its about 4cm thick at the mo) but you can layer it using wood glue - just score the 2 joining surfaces and allow to set under pressure for 24 hours (wrap it up in take or use clamps (gently though coz its softish)

Ade

ade
09-03-03, 07:28 PM
here's an update of the current nova model...

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=441

This is with the 1st layer of clay and basic definition formed of the arches and general angles. I now need to carve into this to create the shape, get the dimensions right (angles of body, balance both sides so it isnt lopsided etc) and then carve the detail.

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=440

I'll be leaving off finer detail like side mirrors, window surrounds, windscreen wipers, bumpers and the front of the car (which allows me to then make it into a mk1 or mk2 by adding the relevant "face").

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=439

Once done, I'll make a cast and produce the 1st resin shell to see what it looks like. This will then be further sculpted to get high definition detail (clay's a little too gritty for fine lines whereas resin can be finely carved).

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=438

A further cast will then be taken and minor imperfections cleaned off ready for the final master.

Ade

:D