PDA

View Full Version : help with a cover letter pls

pikey1986
16-09-09, 01:54 PM
any ideas what i could put in a cover letter that is going to be sent out with my cv, the firms arent advertising jobs but you dont ask you dont getlol,
its got to be something i can print 15-20 of them off but im clean out of ideas, its taken me 2hrs to hand write my cv ready to be typed up tomorrow

Jack
16-09-09, 01:58 PM
The problem with a covering letter is you ideally need to tailor it to each position.

Hmmmmm, are you just mailshotting the companies to inquire if they have any work available?

pikey1986
16-09-09, 02:23 PM
yeah, just thought about giving it ago locally to see if i could get any work without having to register with a load of agencies and drive miles for work

Dod
16-09-09, 02:27 PM
To whom it may concern.

Please find enclosed, a copy of my CV. I wish to apply for Said Job as I managed to impregnant both my wife and out childminder. I have recently threatened to kill my childminder if she exposes my situation and need the work to be able to pay for her "Disposal". If you have any questions or the need for any further information, please contact me on 078-phonenumber. I look forward to your Reply.
Regards,
Whats Yer Name.

pikey1986
16-09-09, 02:30 PM
fpmsl lol

Edd
16-09-09, 04:02 PM
Don't bother with employment agencies, you won't get any work out of them unless you are from eastern europe.

Stuart
16-09-09, 04:37 PM
Don't bother with employment agencies, you won't get any work out of them unless you are from eastern europe.
clearly you use the wrong ones lol

Yes agencies are people that arent quite smarmy enough to sell cars or houses, but if you abuse them hard enough they will come through in the end.

Andy_L
16-09-09, 05:01 PM

You're applying for the wrong type of jobs.....:p

Agenices are hard work but do come through in the end. Just got to keep on top of them

Jack
16-09-09, 05:26 PM
I wrote a big reply but IE died before I could hit submit :(

Gibbo
17-09-09, 12:32 PM
lmfao

bmw156
17-09-09, 12:38 PM
something generic,

and something like, please find my CV enclosed. for any possible jobs you may have going.

or actually go into the places, as any CV's we get, we shred lol

Jack
17-09-09, 12:43 PM
I really don't think a generic letter will do the job tbh. You'd need to be pretty vague about just wanting some full (or part) time employment blah blah, which isn't really inspiring, plus it'll look the same as every other "give me a job" letter out there.

Just spend a few minutes checking out the company beforehand, be it website, corporate info, or just promotional articles. At least that way you can tailor the letter to say something like "I am interested in working for a well established company in the field of <xyz>" to massage their corporate ego. For uber brownie points, check out their stock value, if its gone up then stick in how you would be keen to work for a company that is "growing in value" etc.

Don't forget to call about a week after sending the letters to chase them up. Most companies won't reply to you if they're not interested, so a phone call will confirm either way. Plus it shows you're keen and willing to get in touch.

[edit] Oh yeah, almost forgot. If you have a dick email address like "I_<3_rusty_novas_xXxXx@freehost.com" then fcuk that off and get a proper one. And make sure you have answerphone on your mobile activated, with a sensible message.

Prey
17-09-09, 04:03 PM
[edit] Oh yeah, almost forgot. If you have a dick email address like "I_<3_rusty_novas_xXxXx@freehost.com" then fcuk that off and get a proper one. And make sure you have answerphone on your mobile activated, with a sensible message.

:thumb:

Stuart
17-09-09, 04:27 PM
on the flip side to RJ's corporate felatio stuffs.

When I went for the interview for the current job they asked if I had looked at the website.
My reply was "no...." look at the shock on their faces and "do you want to know why?"
They did.
"Well with this type of work the corporate website isnt going to tell me anything relevant to my day to day work, I dont particluarly care how the company operates aside from knowing it does well in what it does. Its only really of use for a customer or soemone looking to get into the business side of things and not the engieering"

I got good comments back from that as I had a good point lol

Jack
17-09-09, 05:58 PM
But its all down to knowing the bigger picture. Of course they won't want you to know the ins and outs of their products, but its good to at least have a rough idea of what the company does. I'm not talking about proof reading every inch of their catalogue and processes, just have a quick shufty and see what they get up to.

Dod
18-09-09, 08:21 AM
Well for those of you that laughed at my cover letter, it wored. I had 3 interviews for a large Motor Bike dealership with shops in NI and ROI and was givenn the job with a very very decent basic wage (just short of what I was maing in my last non comission based Jobs) + Comission.

I r Epic y0.