PDA

View Full Version : Which Isp?

Graeme
15-09-09, 09:08 PM
I've just changed my home phone service to the post office due to being unhappy with the service i was getting from Bt. I contacted Sky to tell them i had a new number and to swap my broadband over to the new line and they wanted sixty quid as a reconnection charge, i thought it was excessive and decided to have a shop about, if anyone can advise me a good reliable service that would be great, also my wireless router is a sky one, will this need changed if i choose another provider, any help will be greatly appreciated as a know sweet f.a. when it comes to computers
Thanks Graeme

wwmnw
15-09-09, 09:27 PM
You usually get a new router when you sign up to a company anyway and I would use what they send, but AVOID talk talk at ALL costs. I'm with talk talk and they are pure ****.

Nova_Sean
15-09-09, 09:28 PM
I use Be, quality guys, really helpfull.

They use all of their own cables in the exchage office! Might not have their wires in your exchage, but have a look on their website to check.

I fully 100% recommend these guys!

https://www.bethere.co.uk/web/beportal/homepage

Mr.B
16-09-09, 08:29 AM
I use Virgin.

Cable set-up, cheap, good customer service, free router, and it's actuall fast internet!

Stuart
16-09-09, 08:40 AM
I just converted to O2, very good as they are basically BE :)
Only recent gripe was they did a firmware update and knobbed my wifi up but that was bad luck more than anything lol.

if you(or anyone at the house) have an O2 phone you can get a discounted rate which is nice.

Is your phone line/line rental with Sky or BT ? if tis with Sky then I can kinda see why they would charge to swap (or if you are still in the 12months). I had sky and it was dog turd BB

Jack
16-09-09, 11:47 AM
www.samknows.com for details on your exchange and what not.

last time I checked, fast.co.uk were rated the best ISP overall. Its all down to what you need though

Stanley
16-09-09, 12:12 PM
Im with Sky as it gets lumped in with the rent (and thats the only plus point of it).

Regularly cuts off, and when it does connect i get download speeds of anything from 5-30kpbs. During the night i can get up to 1.2mpbs on an 8meg connection though.....

burgo
16-09-09, 12:16 PM
im with orange and have been for about 3 years. everyone always seems to laugh when i say that but we never have any problems and have about 8 wireless things running off it

Graeme
16-09-09, 05:02 PM
Just ordered be hope everything goes well and i don't have to come on here on the wife's phone

fennah
16-09-09, 05:34 PM
You usually get a new router when you sign up to a company anyway and I would use what they send, but AVOID talk talk at ALL costs. I'm with talk talk and they are pure ****.

im with talk talk and find them spot on , i think it really depends on your area wots good in one area can be terrible in another ,

Jon_nova1
16-09-09, 06:08 PM
im with Virgin, hacked 20mb ftw:cool: