PDA

View Full Version : Oil catch tank Pics HELP NEEDED!!

Jamie D
15-09-09, 05:32 PM
hello people just wanted to know how you plumb in an oil catch tank as i bought one the outher day for my xe :d . It has 2 pipe connectors at the top and an oil level measurer at the side. my idea is you connect the larger pipe to the catch tank and blank off the smaller pipe with a bolt, do i take the big pipe off the inlet completely?? as the catch tank came with some lenghth of pipe to connect up, any pics would be greatly appreciated thanyou :thumb:

MK999
15-09-09, 05:53 PM
You need a breather filter on the output and an input from the breather on the engine, if you blank it off it will just pressurise!

AlexW
15-09-09, 06:08 PM
That is indeed true, You will take the pipe off the inlet, block the hole left too,.

Jamie D
15-09-09, 06:11 PM
im confused lol which output? and which input? a pic would help loads :d

Jamie D
15-09-09, 06:18 PM
right so i take the pipe off the inlet the big one? connect it to the oil catch tank then block the inlet so i dont need to touch the smaller pipe next to it?

Jamie D
15-09-09, 06:23 PM
LMAO at my paint pic is it connected up like that hahahaha lol im highly skilled on paint :d

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j182/JamieD_Photos/943512-2.jpg

craig green
15-09-09, 06:32 PM
Research how an engines breather system functions.

Then I reckon you will know how to fit it up & what it does. Rather than us spoon feed you the info & you not really know what you have done.

Benn
15-09-09, 06:50 PM
Leave it how it was made, its happy.

Jamie D
15-09-09, 06:57 PM
one of the resons i sighnd up with nova load is to be spoon fed infomation then i know how things work :roll: is my pic correct craig? and she isnt happy ben she smokes a little around left hand bends :mad:

MK999
15-09-09, 06:59 PM
one of the resons i sighnd up with nova load is to be spoon fed infomation then i know how things work :roll: is my pic correct craig? and she isnt happy ben she smokes a little around left hand bends :mad:

Knowing which way it plugs in is not the same as knowing how it works, I know how to plug in a computer but I'm gonna pretend I know how it works lol

Jamie D
15-09-09, 07:04 PM
well if you give me the right info i will know how lol your info is my research :d

MK999
15-09-09, 07:08 PM
Engine breather system isn't exactly a one sentence thing, look it up on the net, or even find a flappy thing with pages in it, they're actually quite good for basic engine stuff :thumb:lol

Jon_nova1
15-09-09, 07:10 PM
air sucked from crankcase into inlet system, oil catch tank stops oil going down the inlet

MK999
15-09-09, 07:11 PM
air sucked from crankcase into inlet system, oil catch tank stops oil going down the inlet

flappy thing with pages for you too then lol

Jamie D
15-09-09, 07:12 PM
thanks Jon shimples :thumb: what was so hard about dishing that info out man?? :d

Jon_nova1
15-09-09, 07:13 PM
was seeing if it was indeed possible to explain the workings of an oil catch tank in a single sentence, it kinda is, but whoever wants to know will be confused lol

Jamie D
15-09-09, 07:17 PM
ive already read up just wanted a pic.
I know its to do with the pressure build up and thats when it chucks vapours down the inlet and haveing the catch tank frees up the pressure and collects the vapours. ive looked on google and cant find a single bloody c20xe oil catch tank pic i also checked in the search in hear and the pics that are on dont show anything grrr.

MK999
15-09-09, 07:21 PM
thanks Jon shimples :thumb: what was so hard about dishing that info out man?? :d

Quite a lot apparently. :roll:

I'll give it a go but bear in mind this is gonna have to be pretty simplified.

When a combustion engine sparks the fuel mixture is ignited and expands obviously giving you your all important ponies, as it expands it puts a massive amount of pressure on the piston which is what makes it move, not all of this pressure is contained by the rings as they are not a perfect seal (I'll not go into the reasons why here) what this means is you get pressurised gases escaping into the crankcase, or blow by. This will pressurise the crankcase which is obviously not a good thing, the breather system consists of oil routes through the block which are open to the top end of the engine (to avoid extra loss of oil, gases will rise easier than hot oil will) and an opening in the rocker/cam cover which is generally routed to the inlet to allow the gases (and a small amount of oil) back into the engine to allow the crankcase to de-pressurise. To stop this small of oil getting back into the engine and being burnt (as petrol is a better use of the available air) it can be routed to an oil catch tank instead. No sucking involved I'm afraid.

Also, the problem you are having is because of the oil baffles in the 20xe cam covers, an oil catch tank will only mask the problem, the breather mod will actually fix it.

Jon_nova1
15-09-09, 07:27 PM
no sucking involved? so when the breather pipe is connected to the inlet, there isn't a natural vacuum?

best doing the breather mod as above, takes 5 mins

Jamie D
15-09-09, 07:29 PM
ahh right :thumb:
ive read up about the breather mod its that bit of metal you place in the cam cover isnt it. :)
thanks for the info and your time dude ;)
think im gunna do the breather mod first.

Jon_nova1
15-09-09, 07:33 PM
bit of metal you take off, theres a plate that covers 2/3rdish..you'll see when you take it off

Jamie D
15-09-09, 07:37 PM
sweet just had a look at a thread on how to do it :).
so after this mod will i even need an oil catch tank? ive paid £30 for nothing if i dont :( haha.

Jon_nova1
15-09-09, 07:41 PM
you may well have paid £30 for nothing

MK999
15-09-09, 07:52 PM
no sucking involved? so when the breather pipe is connected to the inlet, there isn't a natural vacuum?

best doing the breather mod as above, takes 5 mins

Ok then, you're right, the breather is there to suck oil out of the cam cover :roll:

Jon_nova1
15-09-09, 08:02 PM
Ok then, you're right, the breather is there to suck oil out of the cam cover :roll:

lol i never said that, try and make me look an idiot all you want, but look a little closer?

"air sucked from crankcase into inlet system, oil catch tank stops oil going down the inlet"

"was seeing if it was indeed possible to explain the workings of an oil catch tank in a single sentence, it kinda is, but whoever wants to know will be confused"

nowhere there did i mention the breather being there to suck oil out of the cam coer, and the second sentence explains how it would be hard for someone to understand a single sentence explanation, which you obviously missed, because you somehow tried to extract an explanation out of it :)

Jamie D
15-09-09, 08:10 PM
this is all complicated ish, just like my paint diagram :d lol

Jon_nova1
15-09-09, 08:17 PM
just hope you don't need to fit your catch tank then lol

Benn
16-09-09, 07:39 PM
was seeing if it was indeed possible to explain the workings of an oil catch tank in a single sentence, it kinda is, but whoever wants to know will be confused lol

It is, catch tank's catch the oil that's breathed back in to the inlet track.

Dar
16-09-09, 07:58 PM
Breather mod

Take of the cam cover and undo the plate within it. Clean it all up, making sure to get rid of every single piece of the silicone. Then chop off the plate as below and refit it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/DPursey/XEbreathermod.jpg

I cant see a problem with also fitting the oil catch tank, but make sure that it vents to atmo i.e. that there are two holes in the catch tank one for the pipe and one left open.