PDA

View Full Version : Timings

joeczucha
06-03-03, 12:05 AM
Hey... how hard is it to adjust the timings on a car (Nova?) I just had this done to mine because it was a bit sluggish when it was pulling away from junctions and now its flying like a 1.0L beast :D I know it only cost me ?20 to have them adjusted, just think it would be handy to know how to do it myself... Is it hard? I don't really need to know what to do (Haynes!), just what it actually does to the car and how hard it is! Cheers, Joe

mikeoxford
06-03-03, 12:20 AM
basically the timing is between the engine and electronic system of whatever kind

when the engine is rotating, how the "timing" is set up tells the spark plug when to spark

so the closer it is to the right point then the more efficient bang you make.

once its done it shouldnt need doing again for a goooooooood while

techie
06-03-03, 12:24 AM
It aint difficult to do as long as you have a timing light.

Just connect up you timing light and set it to 0 degrees, the marker on the bottom pulley is allready set to 10 degrees so you loosen off the 13mm on the bottom of the distributor and rotate it until the marks align.

You may on some models disconnect the vacuum advance, it will tell you in your haynes manual if this is the case.

Think thats right, hope it helps.

whitey
06-03-03, 12:27 AM
HA its been done!!

He didnt need to know how to do it and technical stuff! Although it may benefit other peeps! Surpose thats why your name is techie!