PDA

View Full Version : Links to speed camera laws??

KSRY
14-09-09, 05:41 PM
Think I've been caught but iirc there had to be signs up 'informing motorists' that speed cameras were 'active' in the area, it was a handheld camera, just 1 copper on his own... Hoping I can get off!

Dar
14-09-09, 05:45 PM
Nope. Should have run the bugger over and pinched the camera. It's the only way to be sure.

Iain
14-09-09, 05:46 PM
There was none of those little white camera signs anywhere?

Some sign related shizzle here, CBA to read it all tho: http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/speedmanagement/aidememoireonspeedlimitandsa4797?page=3

Adam
14-09-09, 05:57 PM
Usually they have a tiny speed camera sign standing on the pavement

MK999
14-09-09, 06:02 PM
yeah meanwhile the guy stood next to it is zapping you from 2km up the road lol

Jon_nova1
14-09-09, 06:04 PM
Nope, they don't need a sign there as the cameras arn't there for long enough.

The same happened to me last sunday

unless the policeman had a tripod or the police car in a way that could record you, id assume your safe as the officer would flag you down

Jack
14-09-09, 06:32 PM
You could argue that a handheld laser is inherently innacurate, but meh if you were caught fair and square then you may as well pay up.

Sure it was a copper? Old farts round here with nothing better to do other than sit around waiting to die like to go out with laser guns and watch traffic.

KSRY
14-09-09, 06:45 PM
No definately a copper, well pretty sure it was, had a fluorescent jacket on and was standing 10 yards away from a police car, don't recall a police hat, it was only handheld though, definately no tripod, as soon as he'd finished on our side, quickly ran over to the other...

Jon_nova1
14-09-09, 06:49 PM
he would have most probably tried to flag you down if you was speeding, mine did, but it was about 10:30 at night and too late to bother to stop by the time i saw him

don't forget your speedo will be about 4-5MPH out along with the officer that has to allow 10% of the speed limit plus, i forgot, but if you was only 5-7MPH over the limit (limit dependant) chances are you weren't speeding at all

Dar
14-09-09, 07:38 PM
Old farts round here with nothing better to do other than sit around waiting to die like to go out with laser guns and watch traffic.

I also have seen these old farts on my way to work. They act like they are holding a firearm (see piccy below) and keep the gun pointed at you even as you pass them. So they do a kind of swing action as you pass. They take your concentration off of the road so are a fecking danger!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2475/3597030454_d79efa88d2.jpg

MK999
14-09-09, 07:55 PM
he would have most probably tried to flag you down if you was speeding, mine did, but it was about 10:30 at night and too late to bother to stop by the time i saw him

don't forget your speedo will be about 4-5MPH out along with the officer that has to allow 10% of the speed limit plus, i forgot, but if you was only 5-7MPH over the limit (limit dependant) chances are you weren't speeding at all

To be caught by a police officer sticking to ACPO guidelines i have to be reading something like 52 on the speedo in a 40 in my nova lol

KSRY
14-09-09, 08:22 PM
I was doing about '39-40' in a 30 zone, no yellow signs, don't think he tried to flag me down

Richie_B
14-09-09, 09:39 PM
www.google.co.uk :eek:

KSRY
14-09-09, 09:43 PM
www.google.co.uk (http://www.google.co.uk) :eek:

Yeah try searching it, see how many useful and relevant responses you get

Richie_B
15-09-09, 12:28 AM
Yeah try searching it, see how many useful and relevant responses you get

Doesn't it have to be static, even just in a van rather than a bloke with a gun? Otherwise they have to follow or have someone pull you down the road?!

Jack
16-09-09, 08:12 AM
Not the case, most speedometers underread if anything. An innacurate speedometer is not a case for defence as the police will just do you (on top of the speeding fine) for not having a roadworthy car! The old "10%" or "5% + a few mph" things are tosh too, if you go over the speed limit you should get nicked. Its down to the copper as to whether or not he's near his targets for catching speeding motorists.

Doesn't it have to be static, even just in a van rather than a bloke with a gun? Otherwise they have to follow or have someone pull you down the road?!
Yeas, the equipment should be mounted on a tripod to get a reliable reading. You may recall a while back there was a TV program which proved you could read a brick wall at 50mph by using a handheld laser gun. Even if the tripod is mounted in a van, you could argue that vibration/wind/movement of people inside the van could affect the reading.

Also, the range of a handheld laser is dubious. Sure the beam can travel as far as 2km, but if your average traffic plod can hit a numberplate (as thats the only reliable flat surface on the front of a vehicle) at anything more than 50m he's in the wrong job and should be out in Afghanistan sniping the taliban lol

..as you can see, I'm quite anti laser guns lol

General Baxter
16-09-09, 10:02 AM
my van (movano) at work is terrible for under read,

70mph on the clock is 60 on the sat nav lol
im doing near 82ish to do a true 70mph lol

iv managed to get out of fine using our van trackers, there second by second speed, the copper done me for 39 in a 30, our tracker said 32 lol

its funny when they **** up tho, 2.5LDV convoy, 104mph on a road about 1/2 mile long, you cant get to 70 in 10miles lol

L14MNP
16-09-09, 01:46 PM
I've been 'caught' by an OAP near a Scottish village before :D The sign said something like' Watch your speed, or next time it will be the Police catching you' ROFL.
GTF away from the 60 stretch you incontinent rtard! lol

Jack
16-09-09, 01:51 PM
^ should have run them over. Defence: Saw someone aiming a gun at you so thought they were a terrorist and were doing your civic duty by flattening them.

its funny when they **** up tho, 2.5LDV convoy, 104mph on a road about 1/2 mile long, you cant get to 70 in 10miles lol
Reminds me of the case down here where a kid got off by "proving" his car couldn't do the speed he was supposedly recorded at.

MK999
16-09-09, 07:14 PM
The old "10%" or "5% + a few mph" things are tosh too, if you go over the speed limit you should get nicked. Its down to the copper as to whether or not he's near his targets for catching speeding motorists.
Actually ACPO (association of, something beginning with C? (tehehe lol) Police occifers) guidelines state that a fair margin for prosecution is 10%+2, however legally it's anything over the speed limit, so while you can still be done at 31, you shouldn't be. Most static cameras are set to either 35 or 33.

Dirtydog1
16-09-09, 07:31 PM
if its hand held they normally pull you over and give you a beat down mate.
it may have been one of those tax scanning camera things, they are hot on that at the mo, tax, mot and insurance!

theres usually a camera guy on the side of the road or bridge, then the interceptor traffic cars patrolling the road waitng for the signal etc.

xe_nova9
16-09-09, 07:35 PM
i got done doing 39 in a 30 with a hand held gun, flagged me down to stop there and then got 3 points and 60 pound fine! And he jumped out behind a tree as i went from 4th to 3rd, had a loud exhaust on my old corsa sport thats what gave it away :mad: