PDA

View Full Version : Wheel wobble at 45-50

Rich
13-09-09, 10:15 PM
I havent had the wheels balanced but i had got another set on now and its exactly the same. The brakes have been changed as well as i thought it was that but still the same.

Checked the wheel bearings for play and found the drivers side knocking so replaced the front pair. Rear pair are also new but still the same.

Its not so bad if im speeding up, but it i get to 55 and start slowing down (not braking just off the throttle in gear) it will have a major steering wheel wobble from just over 50 down to 45, somtimes down to 40ish but not always. When flooring it from first the steering is all over the place, ive done the tracking and its a bit better but still there.

Anyone had the same problems? Next thing on my list is new lower arm bushes and front tie bar bushes. Going to balance my wheels tomorrow just in case.

craig green
13-09-09, 10:34 PM
Rather than throw money at new parts, willy nilly. Get it off the ground & wrench & heave about on stuff looking for play & knocks, pay attention to the track rod ends & lower ball joints.

Get the wheels balanced aswell. Visually check for buckles. A rear in balance will feel the same through the steering also.

djshaggeh
13-09-09, 10:40 PM
A rear in balance will feel the same through the steering also.

A rear wheel that hasn't been balenced wont cause a vibration through the steering. I'm a tyre fitter and I never balence either of my rear wheels and I've never had any wheel wobble problems.