PDA

View Full Version : tb'd xe first start probs?

yayoboy
12-09-09, 08:44 PM
hi all, ive got to the stage now where my nova is ready to go, check my project thread for all details but the bit i believe im having an issue with is the engine management. im running (all brand new) mbe 9a4 ecu and loom to suit. all relays, sensors, wires are connected as they should be, it has a goos positive/ground to the battery, and all engine/ gearbox earths are good. the problem i seem to be having is no spark or injector activity? im thinkin this could only be 1 of 3 things, crank sensor (brand new but still) the 9a4 ecu or thye actual control loom itself. i am getting spot on fuel pressure also (50 psi) any suggestions folks? cheers

Dar
12-09-09, 09:06 PM
Download the Easymap software from SBD and plug in the ECU. It will tell you what the ECU can see. So then you can see if it is the crank sensor and also if the ECU is powering up.

Other than that, double check the wires and that they do actually have feed to the ones that need it.

Does the ECU control your fuel pump? I am suspecting not. If not then another check you can do is to put a multimeter on the fuel pump wire from the ECU and see if it goes live for a second when you put the ignition on. That would also prove that the ECU is live.

yayoboy
12-09-09, 09:42 PM
well i would imagine the fuel pump is contolled by one of the relays in the mbe loom, which is probably pulled in by the 12v switched live upon ignition, so your more than likely right there. ive already got the software so ill put it on my laptop now and check it out in the morning, thanks dar

edit: although i am sure when i was messing about under the bonnet i heard the pump prime again, so suggesting there is some kind of timed control from the ecu???

yayoboy
13-09-09, 09:55 PM
to confirm, is the xe crank sensor a 'hall sensor' ie, its looking for a voltage to be sent to it....

Dar
14-09-09, 06:14 PM
Dunno about it being a hall sensor or not but if you crank it over you should see the engine rpm on the Easymap software jump up a bit.

When the fuel pumps are controled by the ecu they will prime for a second or so when you switch the ignition on. Thats the only time they should be running unless your cranking the engine over or it's running.

MK999
14-09-09, 06:17 PM
Not sure about this particular ECU but the one on my E16SE does reprime the pump after a certain amount of time.

yayoboy
14-09-09, 06:27 PM
sorted it, its running, i think i might be due another crank sensor though as it only started workin after i tried to mimic the operation by touching the magnet down, after doing that i noticed the rpms on the easimap were moving, put it back in and hey presto it was working?!?