PDA

View Full Version : GTE Timing Issues

djshaggeh
11-09-09, 05:46 PM
Right, I have a GTE with a ****ty K&N and a backbox, everything else is standard. Since I bought the car its been pinking. So I've fiddled around with the timing and the idle speed.

The standard setting is 10 degrees?
I had it on 20 degress because it was still pinking at top end.
I have now moved it to 23 degrees, to see if it runs any better.

Am I in risk of damaging the engine?
Is it the K&N ****ing my **** up?!
Cheers :thumb:

djshaggeh
11-09-09, 05:54 PM
I should of mentioned I also replaced the ignition module and the coil. As the old coil was ****ing the ignition module.

The ignition modeule is standard, the coil is one I had laying about, I think its from and old jag or merc.

MK999
11-09-09, 06:03 PM
going from 10 degrees BTDC to 20 degrees BTDC is advancing it, retarding it should be spinning the top of the dizzy cap towards the rad.

djshaggeh
11-09-09, 06:14 PM
yup, its advanced.
standard to any retard makes things worse.

MK999
11-09-09, 09:50 PM
retarding it should solve pinking not make it worse :confused:

burgo
11-09-09, 09:57 PM
yep retarding the ignition would cure pinking. advancing it will make it worse.

are you sure its pinking your hearing

MK999
11-09-09, 10:03 PM
yep retarding the ignition would cure pinking. advancing it will make it worse.

are you sure its pinking your hearing

Mine has a pinking rattle that i've put down to just being a rattle too, maybe it's an E16SE thing lol

djshaggeh
11-09-09, 11:08 PM
Could be too far advanced I guess. However when I ran it on the standard 10 degrees it was cack.

When its running on 20 degrees it runs decent unless I take it over 5k revs. Then I seem to lose power and torque and I get a dodgey pinking noise.

It seems to run better hardcore advanced (although I will try it again at 10 degerees), I guess the questions I'm asking is

Is it ok to run it at 23 degrees (advanced)?
and
What would cause poor running on a standard timing setting?
Or would it be better to try 17 degreees?

djshaggeh
12-09-09, 10:20 AM
Right just taken it for a little spin. I've lost the pinking noise above 5k revs but it still seems to lose power around and beyond 5k. I'm going to try retarding it a little bit say back to 17 degrees. Could it be a tooth out on the cam belt?

Anyone got any ideas? Im starting to think these E16SE engines are a pile of cack compaired to carb.

Jon_nova1
12-09-09, 10:27 AM
it could be a tooth out, which would explain why the dizzy timing isn't right

are you also disconnecting the advacing stuff (sorry don't know if its a vacuum tube or wiring on the gte) when you time it

djshaggeh
12-09-09, 10:32 AM
Apparantley there isn't any on the E16SE. I'll bust out the haynes in a min and double check though. Cheers Jon, will check the cambelt at some point too.

Jon_nova1
12-09-09, 10:34 AM
who told you that? lol

it must have some kind of advancing, unless its just there isn't a way to disconnect it

jimbob-mcgrew
12-09-09, 12:21 PM
doesnt the ecu control the advance retard on those engines ?
theres nothing physical you can pull off the dizzy.