PDA

View Full Version : Which engine?

?Marty?
05-03-03, 02:43 PM
I can't decide which engine to go for,

- 2 litre 16 valve (150 bhp approx)

OR

- 1.4 SR (8 valve) with twin carbs, modified head and cams and etc.
What's the most power i could get out of this?

I know the 2 litre is better and cheaper, in terms of power per pound, BUT i have 9 points on my license, so a 1.4 would be cheaper to insure (even if modified - but no-one knows whats inside the engine either :wink: ) and would handle better because of less weight?

Ben (lurk75)
05-03-03, 03:09 PM
go for the 1400, its a nicer feeling after youve just kicked ass and the other guy sayd what engines that and you say 1400, he is gutted. :lol:

burgessovsalford
05-03-03, 03:32 PM
Why not compromise & go for a 1600? 8v or 16v?

match
05-03-03, 05:55 PM
the insurance co. mite not know wots in the engine but they will recognise twin 40's straight away, declare them at least,

tell them its to sort out fueling problems and that a garage has recommended u to fit them and they are doing the work (play dumb and act as if u dont know what twin 40's are, just doing it cos the garage told u to etc... bla...bal...bla)

my insurance company never put my premium up!!!!

gotta be worth a try

Jim
05-03-03, 09:05 PM
It depends what the rest of your car is going to look like. If you planning on creating something like in your footer, then I'm not sure a 1.4 (no matter how tuned) would be enough for the rest of the car. If you put large wheels on you are jeopardising the handling already, so adding more or less weight in the engine bay isn't going to alter things.

Maximum power output from a 1.4 8v could be as much as 140bhp at the fly.

You might get more respect from having a smaller engine and keeping up with cars that should beat you easily, but a 2.0 16v might suit the style of Nova that you are trying to achieve.

The points thing could be an issue, saying that, there are people with more points than you driving round in 2.016v or 2.0turbos.

It's your cash and your car. Write out a list of the advantages and disadvantages of each scenario, you'll soon come to a decision :)

Jim

mikeoxford
05-03-03, 11:08 PM
and after what jim said........ surely if you got enough cash to mod your car to that extent then surely one years premium you could handle?

after u get your first year under your belt and your points start to drop off youll be laffing

?Marty?
16-03-03, 01:52 AM
I've actually got 4 years NCB too. :lol:

An LET it is then.

Fester
16-03-03, 02:19 AM
yeah man go for it

or at first what about fitting a valver, seeing how it all goes then bide your time and source out an LET later when its all sorted like breenys done, albeit its a forced moved in his case, but 'one thing at a time' could pay off man

w00t!

mikeoxford
16-03-03, 09:20 PM
u decided what your doing yet?