PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning/sealing/painting inner arches

Rich
10-09-09, 08:45 PM
For anyone that has done this, what did you use/how did you do it? Im doing them black.

Im going to get a wire wheel on my grinder and clean them all up,

Do i hammerite them? Ive read on here about using stone chip? Is it like a sealer? im planning on taking the factory stuff back to make sure theres no rot starting underneath. Will use seam sealer to seal all the joins etc.

Dont have a compressor to use

Iain
10-09-09, 08:49 PM
I took all the old underseal off with a grinder + wire wheel then etch primer, seal sealer around the joins, anti-rust primer, white Hammerite, more primer, white stonechip, followed by white Hammerite again.

Wasn't going to have so many layers but the stonechip reacted going on top of the Hammerite for some reason so pre-primered it.

Can't comment on whether it holds up and doesn't fall off though as I haven't driven on it yet. Looks nice on my driveway though lol

Benn
10-09-09, 08:50 PM
Mine where wire brushed bare, then reseal with a 3m rubberised sealant then painted. I spray wax then every time i wash them.

Yes stonechip is sealant, You can get it in a rattle can get one that drys hard then its easier to paint over.

lee-loon
10-09-09, 08:50 PM
Strip it with the wire wheel then ad etch primer before adding anything.

I'd use stone chip,then the colour of the car.

The Simps
10-09-09, 10:37 PM
wire wheel takes ages and is messy. Heat gun and scraper worked very well for me. I've then etch primed, stone chipped, then painted.

Rich
10-09-09, 10:50 PM
Cheers guys, looks like my task for the weekend