PDA

View Full Version : A/C into a Nova

Nova_Tek
10-09-09, 09:06 AM
Just been thinking really if its worth fitting A/C to the Nova. I know the UK isn't hot but the car won't just be used in UK, likelyhood is that I may use it for a few months a year in a hot country.

I know its possible as IIRC I read somewhere, although I can't remember where, euro Novas had A/C as an optional extra.

The A/C would be fitted to a LET Nova whilst doing the conversion and not the dinky 1.2.

What would be needed to actually fit A/C? Aftermarket kits or parts off a donor Vaux? Would I need to replace the heater matrix?

Any ideas?

Anyone tried this before?

:thumb:

burgo
10-09-09, 09:10 AM
i assume you know how tight a nova engine bay is with a let fitted. where do you plan on fitting the pump and air con rad??

praps if it was a normal nova engine i would say it is more than possible but i just dont see you having the room with a let

Stuart
10-09-09, 09:17 AM
find a corsa B with AC and rape it for parts

Nova_Tek
10-09-09, 09:20 AM
Good point regarding the rad :thumb:

OK lets say I managed to get room for the rad and pump.

What would be the best donor car?

Edit: Cheers Stu.

Would I still need to replace the heater matrix for a A/C heater matrix? e.g a Cav non A/C has a different heater matrix to a Cav with A/C

burgo
10-09-09, 09:21 AM
what stu said. as id imagine the pipework being roughly right and the heater matrix box shouldnt be far off

Nova_Tek
10-09-09, 09:32 AM
Cool, sounds like a plan.

Feeling generous so have some rep lads :thumb:

Sorry Burgo need to spread the love.

burgo
10-09-09, 09:34 AM
one quick thought. if its a let i would surgest one of those manifolds that puts the turbo over the gearbox to allow room for the pump on the front of the engine

Nova_Tek
10-09-09, 09:40 AM
Thanks Burgo, will consider that :thumb:

_JH_
10-09-09, 10:40 PM
any "open the F-ing window" gen?

Jack
11-09-09, 08:11 AM
^ lol

You could use a scooped bonnet and TMIC on the LET (or a chargecooler) to give more room at the front for an A/C heat exchanger..?

let_nova
11-09-09, 08:14 AM
run a big fannimould over the gearbox and free up space at the front.

or open the window

burgo
11-09-09, 08:19 AM
chargecoolers have rads aswell jeck so would still be limited on space. and sometimes opening the window isnt enough. i know on a trip up to mansfield the other day we had all the windows down and sun roof open and i was still sweating my balls off. plus opening the windows is even less effectiv in trafic jams

let_nova
11-09-09, 08:22 AM
very true. corsa b it is then

Jack
11-09-09, 08:24 AM
chargecoolers have rads aswell jeck
I know, the GT4 has a chargecooler. The point is though that a heat exchanger for a CC is a darned sight smaller than a FMIC :thumb:

Nova_Tek
13-09-09, 09:46 PM
sometimes opening the window isnt enough. i know on a trip up to mansfield the other day we had all the windows down and sun roof open and i was still sweating my balls off. plus opening the windows is even less effectiv in trafic jams

Too true mate, and the UK isnt exactly a hot country. Cracking open a window on a motor way at 50+ mph isnt exactly quiet either.

Does the A/C rad have to be a particular size? And must I have 2 fans? I was thinking a slimline fan to help with the space.

The wifes Yaris has 2 fans one cooling and one A/C.

Rad fan, A/C fan, FMIC and an oil cooler :cry: The Nova will end up having more radiators than my house.

craig green
13-09-09, 10:15 PM
Heres some answers in a thread I started on the subject a few years ago.

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60320

search function FTW.

The Simps
14-09-09, 08:59 AM
jamie hastings is removing the air con bits off his corsa sport on MIG. Might be worth a PM - http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/projects-restorations/406675-corsa-c20let-4.html

AlexW
14-09-09, 02:50 PM
Aircon pipes can be made quite cheap too, as regards to fans/rads etc, your best of running a aircon fan, iirc most work as a extra cooling aid when the rad gets very hot.

Your need to change the matrix, corsa one would work.

Really you would want a complete corsa to nick the bits off.

Theres a lot of wiring/sensors and everything for the AC too!

Nova_Tek
14-09-09, 04:24 PM
Cheers lads, having a read thru some of these links :thumb:

Adam
14-09-09, 05:59 PM
If your bothered about something like A/C youve picked the wrong car to mod tbh! lol

Sloth
16-09-09, 05:30 PM
look at joffs, hes fitted the corsa dash.......

iirc the daihatsu cuore has a real small ac rad, about 1foot by 1 foot. might be usefull.....

craig green
16-09-09, 06:25 PM
If your bothered about something like A/C youve picked the wrong car to mod tbh! lol

It's all about pushing boundaries & refining what we have though, I didnt fit the PAS to mine because I couldnt cope with the std manual rack..... :)

davie_slim
16-09-09, 10:43 PM
ive got an actual aircon rad with aircon fan that im binning out my sport, i also have the corsas thin radiator but i plan to use that