PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 8V cooling help!!!

johnnyboy1987
09-09-09, 08:14 AM
Hey chaps first post here so be gentle.

last weekend i swapped my 1.2 nova engine for a 2.0 8v did all the conversion stuff with parts i had gathered before hand, so i managed to do everything except change the rad so i still only had the original 1.2 one.

I was desperate to try it so i bled it up anyway and tried it down the road, now the car bleeds up fine, no air, heater works, fan cuts in, and will sit there all day with temp gauge under half way no prob. But then as soon as i start driving down the road even normal speed the temp guage raises right up to just over three quarters!!! But as soon as i pull up somewhere and stop, within 1 second the temp will be back down under halfway perfect again.

So then i thought the rad isnt big enough to flow enough coolant when driving along so i looked at previous 8V projects on here and you guys reckon the gte/gsi rad is sufficient enough?? so i got hold of on bled it up last night and once again perfect, no air, fan cuts in, sits under halfway. took it down the road and the gauge raised up, not as far as before but still does raise up, and then once i pull over its fine again temp guage drops right down and perfect.

so do i need an even bigger rad???, if so what one cos i know space is very limited???
or could it be as simple as air flow, its a mk1 nova with the slatted grill thats made onto the bumper? if i took the grill off would that make a difference??
I wouldnt have thought something like that would affect it so much???
Any one got any ideas?? cheers again

Ernie
09-09-09, 09:18 AM
i ran mine for a few months on a 1.2 rad and that included a track day so i think you have issues some were else but not the rad.
Welcome to the site.

saloon3
09-09-09, 09:38 AM
take top hose off and put a dishwasher tablet in it and connect back up , top up with water and let it idle for an hour , drain system and refill... might just build up of crap, also renew thermostat and check temp sensor..

Mazz
09-09-09, 10:18 AM
GTE/GSI rad is sufficient for XE's and most LET's so it you've sound like you got a problem somewhere else :(
Might be wroth trying a cooler thermostat..