PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Idea for Security

Chris LR
04-03-03, 10:20 PM
How about fitting a burgalar alram system to a car?

The Business/Office ones use very loud alarm sirens (Similar to air-raid alarms) and would cause intruderes great pain. Ear Defenders wouldn't really work either.

Good/Bad idea?

whitey
04-03-03, 10:45 PM
BAD idea they run on 240Volt!

Also, most car alarms are pretty loud as possible already!

mikeoxford
04-03-03, 11:54 PM
lol :lol: ask stu gsi ! his is fcuk loud

and fitting 230v things to 12v cars is childs play.

at worst you can use an inverter but you will find MOST electronics, although you plug em in the wall, inside they operate at core voltage of between some times 9v and 14v

mikeoxford
04-03-03, 11:55 PM
hmmmm thats a bit extreeme what i put.

lets say things like welders, freezers, etc hard core stuff - that needs 240v

ade
05-03-03, 12:04 AM
you used to be able to get this thing called a wasp that clamped on yer steering wheel and gave of 140Db if tampered with or the wheel was moved.

Aint seen em for ages.

A m8 of mine concealed a couple of v loud sirens in his car as an extra deterant.

Aragorn
05-03-03, 12:13 AM
most alarms run off 12v - there is a sealed lead acid battery inside to keep em running if someone cuts the mains and this is also 12v

as for the idea

there are a few flaws - power drain is the first - a household alarm system is designed to run off a main supply - so it doesnt matter if it uses a constant current of 1A, car alarms however have been designed to use as little juice as possible so the battery aint flat every morning

next are the sensors - a PIR just wouldnt cut it - somoen walks past - alarm triggered not good plus they much the juice too

what would be a good idea

is finding an alarm that has an auxiliary siern output, and connecting that to the guts of an alarm bell box - then hiding the whole thing under the dash

a 120DB @ 1m siern outside (well under the bonnet) is fair enough - but your gonna be at least a meter away and its goin thru steel, glass and soundproofing

but trying to hotwire a car with a siern rated at 120db @1m right in your ear would prolly deafen you

whitey
05-03-03, 12:30 AM
Well that what i was gettin at! The battery would most likely die very quick!

Would be cool though if you could get one concealaed at headheight less than 1m away! Just a normal alarm module speaker would do!

My mate does the classic!

Removes the horn cover and connects two wires together, that way the horn comes on permanently when ignition switched! LOL

Shitter when u forget though!

Chris LR
05-03-03, 09:17 PM
120Db, 140Db - Thats quiet compared to the things I'm talking about.

Might see if I can hook up the siren to the Car Alarm, The thing is so big tho, I'd have to put it in the glove box :twisted:

Ste_Nova
05-03-03, 10:08 PM
house alarms are limited too 115db@1metre

if you want loud try the helipad warning siren we have at work :lol:

ade
06-03-03, 12:48 AM
try my fecking alarm clock - sounds like a bloody jet fighter at 6am in the morning!
:o

Nova Modder
06-03-03, 08:31 AM
is it possible to actually get an alarm that blows at 200db ??

if so.. where can i get one, and how much would it cost?!

pickle2000
06-03-03, 10:25 AM
Isn't there a law that states you are not allowed to harm burglars...!!??!!
If you were to rig it so that if a burglar was to touch the steering wheel/door handle/etc they would get a high voltage electric shock, they can take you to court for physical harm.....
Wouldn't the same apply to a loud siren.... if you were to deafen someone...??

What about putting one of those manual air raid sirens (the ones from WW1 that you wind up by hand) connected through the wheels so that if someone drives off they will be driving around in a car powering a f'king manual air raid siren.... :D