PDA

View Full Version : Window tinting

Nova-Boy
04-03-03, 08:32 PM
I am looking at tinting my windows.

Does anyone have any comments?

I am scared to do it myself cos i have seen some DIY jobs and they look poop.

Anyone know anywhere that does it professionally?

And do you think it is a good idea to tint them or should i leave them standard??

Thanks for any comments.

Tazzy
04-03-03, 08:35 PM
tinted windoes look good, best bet is to look in your local yellow pages for someone to do it for you!

whitey
04-03-03, 09:12 PM
Depends on a number of things! Mainly the colour of your car!

Sometimes light, sometimes dark and sometimes limo black look good! Depends on what you are doing with the car!

Get it done professionally and remember that if the front ones are too dark the old bill wont love you! Not that they do anyway since you drive a nova!

tomasti
04-03-03, 09:52 PM
yeah, colour is a big factor. I think mirror tints look great with lighter coloured cars like white, silver and light blues and all that, but if you've got a duller base colour like red or dark (merit lol) blue you'd best stick with black or smoked. My car is Atlantic Blue (I think!), a turquoise-ish colour, so i'm gonna get mirror tints and then do chrome bits around the car like DTM mirrors etc to highlight them.

Hope it helps!

ade
05-03-03, 12:19 AM
dont go too dark - too 80's

But yeah it depends on the car. You can also get different colours nowadays - yellows, reds, blues, greens etc...

Best getting a pro to do it. proper tinting takes time. The can remove windows to lay the film and then its sealed bythe rubber surround to stop it peeling off.

Say a stunning Fiat Punto maxed up in silver with mirrored windows - did a double take coz it looked well weird!
Front screen looked black coz of the inner darkness

Ade
8)

Anton
05-03-03, 07:41 AM
I'm getting light smoke in mine, through work. Some guy comes round in his van and does it. All sides and back window, light smoke, ?100 :)

Nova-Boy
05-03-03, 08:12 AM
Cheers. I will have to get it done some time when i can find a pro to do it and have settled down with a new car. I keep car swapping so it looks like i could end up with a dark red nova at the min.

So would you say tint it blackish or redish?? dont want to make the car too red??

whitey
05-03-03, 08:39 AM
NOT red! TOOOOOOOO MUCH!

Light Smoke or something different if you have the funds like rainbow tints!

Alex
05-03-03, 11:26 AM
Dont even think about a red tint. It would be PANTS

Wiggie
05-03-03, 06:44 PM
hehehe neva seen that done, would it look good on any thing???! :roll:

Ric 16v
05-03-03, 06:56 PM
I'm thinking about getting my windows tinted in a few weeks time, which will be good coz I'v got loads ov other bit's to put on :D :D :D

whitey
05-03-03, 06:58 PM
Subtle red may be OK on a purple or green to look different but to be honest NO!

Will
05-03-03, 07:20 PM
silver mirror tints will fail an mot

Wiggie
05-03-03, 07:32 PM
really? under what reasoning?

ade
05-03-03, 08:52 PM
shouldnt fail an mot - as long as visibility is more than 70%

Van drivers use mirror tints in rear of van/back rear windows and dont fail?

Obv u dont mirror the windscreen (fcuking spaceship!)

mikeoxford
05-03-03, 11:50 PM
Obv u dont mirror the windscreen (fcuking spaceship!)

:lol: your one funny bloke!

you could imagine it in a few years time though.............

whitey
06-03-03, 12:02 AM
Tinting the front window in anyway except like slight factory style is illegal n e way as im sure u all know!

ade
06-03-03, 01:09 AM
lol - cheers mike!

:D

Happened to be thinking of that disney film the flight of the navigator and how for some weird reason it reminded me of the mirroe tinted punto I saw the other day.

Amazing what you link things too. Like when I was a kid and lost my one and only Rubiks cube at Blackpool (somewhere in the tower) - I always link that episode to that crappy song "Japenese boy" - late 70's I think

weird...