PDA

View Full Version : welding diff for drag?

alan b
06-09-09, 04:33 PM
im heading to a drag event soon an wont have my new box ready on time, so ive been thinking, has anyone drove a fwd car with a welded diff? every rwd we have is weldedlol i mean if its just for dragging itd be grand i would think? fairly severe on driveshafts tho?itd jst be to get me through the next day until i have my lsd just want to see really if anyone has done it or seen it done! cheers

mowgli
06-09-09, 06:26 PM
you will have major issues with trying to take it anywhere other than in a straight line...like shunting it round the yard & getting it round the paddock. but it should work fine on the strip.

Stuart
06-09-09, 08:03 PM
Cosvaux ran a welded diff and to get to events they took a shaft out (left an old CV joint in the box to keep the oil in) so it could be driven.

mayhem
06-09-09, 09:28 PM
its possible... goodluck turning at the end of the strip though

Stanley
07-09-09, 03:21 PM
I was thinking about this, and i remember being told about using a diff from a Carlton 2.4 as they came with LSD's?

Im sure it was posted on here before.

It will fit into F16/F20 boxes apparently. I could be waaaaaay wrong though.

Stanley
07-09-09, 03:22 PM
I was right according to this thread http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92900&highlight=carlton+diff

Hello you all,

because i want to help my fellow members i have a tip for all who want get an LSD but not want to pay lots of money for it! The story bellow is only for the people who use an F16 or F20 gearbox.

What you need, is to find the last series of the first type Omega caravan 2.4i In the last 6 months of it's production opel/vauxhall fitted these models with an factory 25% LSD. If you are lucky the label with the text "only special oil" or "nur special ?l" will still be hanging on the diffhousing.
The inner cv joints from this Omega are exact the same as those used on the F20!! If you found it and take it out you can udjust the amount of slip! This is done by using other sizes of shims! This way you can easly bring it up to max 80 to 90%. These % is way to high for the frontwheel driven cars and therfor only used by manta's etc. However, an 40% LSD on an nova is very, very nice! Ones you have set to the right amount of slip you can built it in to your gearbox easly, because it an direct fit!

This is the reason why i drive Opel!! take the parts from different models, shake it a bit, and you have an cheap race carlol

mowgli
07-09-09, 07:38 PM
how common is the carlton 2.4????????????? not very

Balley
07-09-09, 07:46 PM
my step dads nova had a welded diff for auto grass and was fine when we shunted it around, at the end of the day as long as the tarmac has some light gravel on it (like most roads, drives etc have) the inside wheel will manage to slip !

I am sure it will be fine for one day anyway

mayhem
07-09-09, 08:39 PM
how common is the carlton 2.4????????????? not very
very common here:d

mowgli
07-09-09, 08:43 PM
very common here:d

apart from the ferry ride and all those dykes, it would be easy to pop over and get a couple.......:(

djbrowney
07-09-09, 08:45 PM
i will try and find the vid of have from inside the green nova when it snatches the steering wheel from you hands lol

djbrowney
07-09-09, 09:06 PM
This is a really shocking video of all acounts but just watch the steering wheel when coming back to que up !

its not really all that bad if your not going to drive it on the road !!!

We all have bad runs by the way lol lol lol lol

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/video/video.php?v=35110190630

therealnovaboy
08-09-09, 01:25 PM
when i did it i found it was quite hard to weld. the gears are made from good steel and have to be really hot to get a good weld. its hard to weld with the gearbox oil every where so id suggest you take the diff out and weld it up on the bench. when i did it it didnt last long. the gearbox lasted about 30mile then it seazed and wanted to walk the internals along the helical gears and push them out through gearbox casing in the inside of the bell housing. i thought it was impressive at the time but wouldnt recomend it for road use unless you were sure you had a good weld on it. you need to get a bit of square metal between the four gears and weld all the way around it top and bottom.