PDA

View Full Version : What coilovers for C20let nova

doug_sri
03-09-09, 11:15 PM
I am needing to replace my spax rsx coilovers as there leaking and am unsure what make to go for

3dr nova running c20let/f28 so quite alot of weight on the front end, car is going to be used for track days

I changed the springs on the spax kit to 300lbs on the front i think but what rate is recommeded and what kit would people recommend

Thanks

napalm_27
03-09-09, 11:22 PM
go for 350lb fronts and you should be able to send them back to spax for a refurb mate

craig green
03-09-09, 11:24 PM
I would get some half decent ones from GAZ or AVO. A bit tougher than the Spax stuff tbh. You could spend far more if you wanted but most people get on fine with either of them for trackdays & bigblock installations.

doug_sri
03-09-09, 11:34 PM
where is the best place to get gaz ones? Is there anywhere that sells them where you can specify what spring rates you would like?
Ive just bought adjustable top mounts which is when i noticed the spax ones were leaking so I presume gaz coilovers should fit with these without any issues

MARTIN KELSON
04-09-09, 09:46 PM
where is the best place to get gaz ones? Is there anywhere that sells them where you can specify what spring rates you would like?

Got my rears & specified poundage of spring from Gaz direct.
Very helpful.
Not sure on topmounts. Friend of mine had Gaz on his 106 Rallye track car & shipped the topmounts to Gaz & they machined them to fit.

Worth a call.

Stuart
04-09-09, 10:01 PM
Club discount is the best legit way to get GAZ's

But yeah you tell them what springs you want and what kind of machining you want doing as 95% of stuff is made to order with them

doug_sri
04-09-09, 10:16 PM
Club discount is the best legit way to get GAZ's

But yeah you tell them what springs you want and what kind of machining you want doing as 95% of stuff is made to order with them

oh this is sounding a bit more complicated? What machining do people normally need? Is this related to top mounts only?

What rear spring rates would people recommend and also where do I find out about club discounts? Ive had a look but cannot see any information about what discounts can be had when joining the club?

If there a gaz website/email or contact number anywhere so I can speak to them?

garethcolley
04-09-09, 10:28 PM
oh this is sounding a bit more complicated? What machining do people normally need? Is this related to top mounts only?

What rear spring rates would people recommend and also where do I find out about club discounts? Ive had a look but cannot see any information about what discounts can be had when joining the club?

If there a gaz website/email or contact number anywhere so I can speak to them?
If you run standard top mounts there are no issues. If you go for aftermarket then a spacer needs making up for the GAZ ones. GAZ also do short bodied versions so the ride height can be much lower. Faulkner springs are also a good upgrade and are used by a few on here.

doug_sri
04-09-09, 10:52 PM
Ive already got the aftermarket top mounts but just not fitted them yet, would i need to send the top mounts to gaz for them to make up spacers?
Im not wanting to run the car too low, with the spax rsx coilovers I was running them at the top height on the coilover and it was just high enough to give me enough clearance on the wings although maybe the springs are shorter than gaz ones.
My rear spax shocks and springs are working fine so would it be worthwhile if I just changed to gaz front coilovers? Im happy with the ride height of the rear and there adjustable shocks anyway.

garethcolley
04-09-09, 11:03 PM
I personally would never run different suspension front to rear as the levels of damping will be different regardless of having adjustability. Also the GAZ coilovers dont use the rear spring platforms, they are the same as the fronts in that the spring is around the damper. Search for posts about GAZ, there are a few pictures of the spacer needed, its a 10 min job on a lathe. I know user R1CH made some for his.

garethcolley
04-09-09, 11:05 PM
Also worth noting that with GAZ rears some inner arch modification is needed. A big hammer or a hydraulic ram to give some clearance.

Lee H
04-09-09, 11:12 PM
My Gaz rears fitted with no mods to the inner arch. All depends on the tolerances when car was built.

Benn
05-09-09, 06:46 AM
Running Gaz with 300lbs all round on my Let Nova and its perfect.

Iain
05-09-09, 10:04 AM
Ive already got the aftermarket top mounts but just not fitted them yet, would i need to send the top mounts to gaz for them to make up spacers?

They can machine the piston slightly different to suit an aftermarket topmount and make it fit without mods. They extend the thread down the piston further and/or reduce the length of the top part of the piston I think. I've just returned mine to Gaz to have the piston threaded further to fit them without spacers.

For the price you might as well get a full set of Gaz and specify the spring size and poundage all round. Not sure if a LET would need different poundage on the rear to a lighter Nova?

doug_sri
05-09-09, 09:47 PM
They can machine the piston slightly different to suit an aftermarket topmount and make it fit without mods. They extend the thread down the piston further and/or reduce the length of the top part of the piston I think. I've just returned mine to Gaz to have the piston threaded further to fit them without spacers.

For the price you might as well get a full set of Gaz and specify the spring size and poundage all round. Not sure if a LET would need different poundage on the rear to a lighter Nova?

I have emailed gaz for some advice so will wait and see what they get back to me with

Thanks

The Simps
06-09-09, 01:04 PM
I'm going gaz on my new project. There support is fantastic.

What tyres do you run on track? Do you need it for much road use?

doug_sri
06-09-09, 11:45 PM
I have been running toyo r888s on 15" wheels but also got some 195/50/15 slicks on a spare set of wheels which i hope to be running if its a nice day. Only used on the road for testing before track days making sure everything is ok so very little road use, basically to the mot station and back!

The Simps
07-09-09, 12:11 AM
Taken from a conversation with Mark at Gaz...

Simon,
The semi-slicks need a harder spring rate than a std tyre as you will need to generate the heat in it for it to work properly but when you change to wets then you will need to soften it of quite a bit, we runn 888's in the PBMWC & the Toyo tyres championships & on our E30's we run a 650 front & a 325 rear.

Regards,
Mark

In fwd form I had decided to try 425 front and 350 rear running semi-slicks and go from there. Gaz charge £20+VAT for their front springs and £18+VAT rears.

doug_sri
07-09-09, 12:31 AM
Taken from a conversation with Mark at Gaz...

Simon,
The semi-slicks need a harder spring rate than a std tyre as you will need to generate the heat in it for it to work properly but when you change to wets then you will need to soften it of quite a bit, we runn 888's in the PBMWC & the Toyo tyres championships & on our E30's we run a 650 front & a 325 rear.

Regards,
Mark

In fwd form I had decided to try 425 front and 350 rear running semi-slicks and go from there. Gaz charge £20+VAT for their front springs and £18+VAT rears.

Thanks for the info, think I will got for 350's at the front and maybe 300s at the rear and see how I get on.
With the kit available in members discounts it mentions the GHA kit but then people talk about the short bodied kit, what version of the kit should i get and whats the difference/advantage of each kit?

Im just never ending with the questions! :tard:

Stuart
07-09-09, 02:41 PM
the short bodies are a special request as its not in their catalogues ;)

Personally I'd always run on the stiffer side of things anyway as the "crashy/skippy" ride BS comes from overdamping etc.

They can also supply silicone steel springs now (much like those hydrocoil ones in tweeks but not as silly prices) which I shall be getting a set of for the vx to get some miles on some more dampers :d