PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Feck*ng Redtop.. Gearbox Probs?

ST-eater
03-09-09, 10:53 PM
Took the fiat out for a spin today,,,, gears working as they should for aroudnd 5 miles...

The car going uphill felt a bit strange and started to bunny hop (bit like a learner) and felt as if the clutch was slipping.. I was then finding it hard to get in gears, with the clutch pedal to the floor i tried to put it into a gear while moving and it just crunches, and doesnt engage gears...

Turned around and then the car wouldnt select reverse, first very well or any other gear really. Had to limp home slipping the clutch and not being able to get past about 25mph without the car bunny hopping like mad.

When slipping the clutch the engine revs up and down lol...

The cars on the drive now, too dark to look it over....

We did put a new clutch in before the engine was fitted, and prior to taking the car out for a drive it was working fine running around the block..

Any ideas guys?

F20 box on XE

brainsnova
03-09-09, 11:02 PM
sound like the clutch see if you can change gears with the engine switched off.

craig green
03-09-09, 11:04 PM
Odd. Knackered/duff box?

CV joints good cond?

ST-eater
03-09-09, 11:06 PM
feels like it could get gears with the engine off.

As for the CV's, im running new joints each end

loggyboy
03-09-09, 11:07 PM
Gearbox oil?

ST-eater
03-09-09, 11:09 PM
Gearbox oil?
Correct grade and no leaks... :(

bmw156
03-09-09, 11:11 PM
gear selector?

synchro rings?

AlexW
03-09-09, 11:11 PM
Does the clutch still feel ok then? Could be a faulty clutch, maybe the plate has fallen to bits.

Could you pop off the inspection plate, check everything is as it should be.

Try starting it in gear, be ready for it to jerk fowards though.

ST-eater
03-09-09, 11:23 PM
The clutch doesnt feel as if it releases...

As in when you press the clutch it has resistance to a point, andd then it frees off as nornmal.. but mine doesnt seem to do that...

Just tried moving the gear stick while the engine is off, and it makes a wierd noise when putting it into 4th and 5th, like a scrape/gritty noise

AlexW
03-09-09, 11:25 PM
Id pop off the inspection plate mate, its 4 bolts iirc.

Have a nice play with it (jesus that sounds dirty)

ST-eater
04-09-09, 12:53 AM
Id pop off the inspection plate mate, its 4 bolts iirc.

Have a nice play with it (jesus that sounds dirty)

Lol is that the plate thats a semi circle near to the engine block? if so il have a cheeky fiddle tomorrow lol

Will F
04-09-09, 08:55 AM
Sounds like either the flywheel is loose or you havent fitted the clutch properly and thats come loose...

Lee H
04-09-09, 09:08 AM
I had problems when I fitted the friction plate from a pot type clutch kit with a flat fly and flat style cover plate as they are slightly different.

AlexW
04-09-09, 11:17 AM
Lol is that the plate thats a semi circle near to the engine block? if so il have a cheeky fiddle tomorrow lol

Yer, on the gearbox, usualy painted black