PDA

View Full Version : *HOW TO* fit a Smallblock XE. (1.4/1.6 16v)

AlexW
03-09-09, 10:15 PM
Guide to fitting a 1.4 or 1.6 16v Corsa/Astra/Vectra engine. THIS IS A ROUGH GUIDE

Best car to start with is any injection model, as i will base this guide on a 1.2 spi, if fitting to a carb theres more work which i will try and add on.

Wiring;
First job is stripping of course, haynes manual to the rescue. Wiring side isnt to hard but not coverd in the haynes manual. To make it simple its best to (if a 1.2 or 1.4 SPi) cut the plugs off at the ecu end, and pull the wires through the gromit to the engine side. Your then be left with a massive mess and just a few lives and earths.
Once the engine is sat in the bay then its a good idea to connect all the wiring, and start cutting, I found it best to run the loom behind the drivers side turret and then through the blukhead by cutting out the corner slighty and then through a 52mm hole drilled in the blukhead though to the cabin. Once the hole is drilled its a case of colour matching.
If your engine is a C16XE then its even easyer, no imobliser wiring to worry about. It may be worth while to pull some wires back from the passenger side of the car where the ecu used to be. If your engine is a X16XE your need to get the plug for the imobliser pickup and that is somthing im working on making some idiot proof diagrams, will be completed soon and added. Once all the wires are connected (Soldering is best) its a good idea to refit the dash and decide where you want to mount the ecu.

Shell;
Nothing to change on the shell it self, no need to do any cutting of the chassis. Other than your need to drill a 52mm hole in the bulkhead to pass the ecu wiring through.

Engine Mounts;
Standard nova 1.2 and up items. No need for any modding. One litre will need the drivers side (offside) mount changing for a 1.2 up, others are same as other engines.

Gearbox/drive shafts.
Any Nova drive shafts will fit, as for gearbox its personal choice, whatever came with the engine will fit though. Think about what speedo setup your using though. Best option is to use a early (Mechanical Cable driven corsa) box, or a nova box, then you can use standard nova clocks, if you are running a digi dash you can use the electronic corsa setup. If you have a electronic gearbox and want to run mechanical clocks you need to get the speedo setup from a mechanical cable box and also the plastic ring gear for the diff, to fit the ring you would need to remove the diff.

Exhaust:
Depending on your budget a custom exhaust is a good idea, but without a custom exhaust you can use a C16XE downpipe (if fitting a X16XE) mated to a nova SR centre section and matching rear section, this works but isnt perfect. I use a X16XE manifold and downpipe with a clamp on flexi, downpipe flange cut off and a SR centre with the flange cut off. It works fine but ofc not ideal, Just another idea though.

Water hoses;
Your need a nova GTE/GSI bottom hose and a corsa top hose. Your need the standard corsa heater matrix hoses, you may find one is too short, I used a nova bottom header tank hose with a bit cut off. Also a T piece for the top header tank pipe, Goes from the Throttle body to the top of the header tank, its to stop the TB from freezing, It can be removed by simplly blocking the hose from the thicker pipe.

Brakes:
256mm items would be best, but anything bigger than milk bottle tops.

Alternator Belt
This one is a tricky one. Some cars dont have the space to run the standard wide belt setup, Others (Like mine) have miles of space!
If you dont have enough space, or just want to be sure you can just drop the engine straight up then this is a rough guide how.
Your need a Single V belt bottom pully, it needs to have the crank sensor trigger though, so Nova SRi and some others are the same. Alternator you can use a nova one, or put a Single V pully onto the baby xe alternator. Your need to custom make a bracket for it to be adjusted, Some people have you extended brackets, or completely custom ones. Unfortunately i cant be much help here.

If your car has enough space, or you cant find the correct bottom pully, then you can run the wide Multi rib V belt as per standard corsa engines. You will need a Non-pas and Non-pas Tensioner bracket etc, If you have a quick look through this thread there is a few pictures, I plan to get proper pictures soon though.

Suspension.
1.2 stuff with be fine with the weight, altho dont expect it to handle, Get some decent stuff before you ever even hover over the throttle.

Gear linkage etc:
Your need to chop the gearstick lug for the 5th gear if fitting to a 4speed car. The linkage and everything is standard nova.

If Fitting To A Carb:
Your need to change the fuel tank to a GTE/GSI/SPI tank, and a external pump if a GTE/GSI and all new fuel lines. If you chose a SPi tank then your problery need to cut a hole in the floor under the rear seat to access the pump. Your need to fit a MK3 astra MPi fuel pump as well as new lines if carb. 1.0 will need a return line put in.

Other things to think about:
Your need most of the things from the corsa or whatever you get the engine out of. Inc the throttle cable, ECU stuff as i say below.
Clutch cable and the like can be used from the nova.
Your need the ecu, keychip (from inside the key) and transponder from around the key barrel all from the same car. If they are not matched the car wont run.
Your need to get a pump from a mk3 astra MPi if your starting with a spi nova. No need to replace fuel lines if it was already injection

If i have missed anything or you feel somthing isnt right reply here, ive tried to note as much as possible but im writing this all from memory.

nova321
08-09-09, 05:33 PM
theirs a pic here that may be of some use http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127460&highlight=transponder :thumb:

Adam
08-09-09, 06:00 PM
My wiring diagram may be of use.
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/Hond123/untitled.jpg

Also for anyone fitting one of these engines its also worth fitting a nova gte flywheel and clutch, and swapping the alternator/bottom pully to a single v setup from a nova sri/corsa 8v :thumb:

nova321
08-09-09, 06:31 PM
thats the one should be useful it was to me thanks :thumb:

jonn
09-09-09, 10:36 PM
i am fitting a x16xel engine in my nova.what do i connect the water pipe to comming from the throttle body? and on the wiring loom do i strip back the wires for the map sensor and the other wires beside the ecu so it will go through the 52mm hole?

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/jonny057/16l16vengine006.jpg

auzzy-b
10-09-09, 07:55 PM
Whats an x16xel?

jonn
10-09-09, 09:44 PM
its a engine out of a vectra the L stands for lower power i think beacuse it is 100 bhp

Plug
11-09-09, 07:19 PM
right im sat at my missus trying to wire up the engine. (was when i posted it)

Its the C16XE into a 1.2 spi nova.

Ive disconnected the old ecu, and am going to have to strip back and get all the old engine loom out of the bay and keep the lights, rad, wiper motor, etc, etc
I
ve got the red and blue connecter that goes into the ecu, fine with that.
Im left with a 9pin and a 3pin plug. Where abouts do i need to connect these into the nova loom?

also on the Throttle body there is two nob bits for pipes, i know where one comes from but not the other.
and on the TB to AFM pipe work there is a place for a pipe at the TB end where do i put that to?

I know when i reciently(sp?) did a redtop conversion to an astra there where plugs in the drivers kick panel. Is there anything like this on the nova?

Any help will be greatly appriciated

Jimbo

craig green
17-09-09, 05:46 PM
Ignore the coolant pipes ontop the TB, leave them open or if you want, 'T' them into the coolant circuit. It's not needed however.

The 9 pin plug needs the Earth, Live, switched live, temp, rev counter & fuel pump wires etc etc attaching to it. The other 3 pin plug can be ignored iirc. There will be speed sender wires aswell unless that is the 3..

Plug
18-09-09, 10:50 AM
ok well i gave up the other weekend so im going to have to go back up and have a look when i can be arsed lol

pyromaniac_yeti
13-10-09, 01:28 PM
so, for a bit of a quick nova, without massive fuel costs a tigra 1.4 16v lump will drop straight in on standard mounts, connect up to standard driveshafts on the nova, all i gotta do is put in an injection fuel tank + lines, and the ECU and loom?

reason for going for the 1.4 would be insurance (at 20 a big consideration) the fuel costs (a 2.0 would kill my wallet...) and the fact that i know of a breakers where theres at least three tigras about...

plus the brakes wouldnt need a massive upgrade to cope with the power as its nothing too mad. just some drilled and grooved discs & fast road pads should do it?

AlexW
13-10-09, 02:21 PM
so, for a bit of a quick nova, without massive fuel costs a tigra 1.4 16v lump will drop straight in on standard mounts, connect up to standard driveshafts on the nova, all i gotta do is put in an injection fuel tank + lines, and the ECU and loom?

reason for going for the 1.4 would be insurance (at 20 a big consideration) the fuel costs (a 2.0 would kill my wallet...) and the fact that i know of a breakers where theres at least three tigras about...

plus the brakes wouldnt need a massive upgrade to cope with the power as its nothing too mad. just some drilled and grooved discs & fast road pads should do it?

Yep, I have/had a 1.4 16v nova, this guide is based using the info i gatherd while doing the conversion in the first place.

Still drop straight onto 1.2 and up mounts, nova shafts and depending on the model to start with just like you said.

I too picked the 1400 due to the fuel costs, tax cost and partly insurance.

As for brakes, you could just go for 236mm vented stuff (Corsas and nova GSi's), but if it was me id go for 256mm x 20mm stuff, as found on tigras and corsa GSI's, you could go for cav 2.0 items but theres only a 4mm thickness differance between that and the tigra etc stuff, not really worth it imo.

No need for any special pads or discs, personaly normal discs and GM pads are best.

Oh and if you need any help or indeed want a engine that you can trust, PM me, Mine is for sale for sure now.

mayhem
13-10-09, 06:06 PM
Whats an x16xel?

x16xel with x16xe bits is better then the gsi item.
as the x16xe/c16xe are oil users. on the xel it isnt solved, but there a bit better then the old versions.

Adam
13-10-09, 08:54 PM
XEL is a worse version, it makes less power and has a more restrictive inlet, and milder cams.
But a tuned xel is a good option as it has the best inlet ports of the 1600 16v engine range.

kc_08
15-10-09, 10:37 PM
just a quick question, got my engine and ecu, all ive got to do with the immobaliser is a tiny little black chip tapped to the top? is that everything to start it, obviously it matches the ecu and engine, was there anything else? and if it dont work how can i bypass it? also my friend used a 1.4 nova mount and said he had to cut the mount to make it fit and get it re-welded? i dont fancy a cut and welded engine mount though

AlexW
15-10-09, 10:38 PM
No need to cut or weld any nova mount?!!

You cant by-pass the imobliser. And the imobliser stuff should be the little black chip and also a round ring with a box bit coming off of it.

kc_08
15-10-09, 10:49 PM
have you got a picture of a the black box and the ring? might have got it with all these other parts he gave me, but dnt really know what to look for lol, well thats what he told me mate so i dont know il just be using a nova 1.2 mount

AlexW
16-10-09, 12:05 AM
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh30/AW_06/HPIM1525.jpg

AlexW
24-04-10, 06:55 PM
And just for future reference
VSS:
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh30/AW_06/101_3889.jpg

Blackie_No1
25-04-10, 03:29 PM
I need one of these!!!

milko96
25-04-10, 08:20 PM
Could peeps that have done this post up pics of what they did about tensioning the alternator belt if you remove the PAS pump and Aircon pump?

AlexW
25-04-10, 08:28 PM
Depends if you run wide multi v belt setup or run single V, some people need the single V to clear the chassis leg.
I personally run multi V using the standard sport (with no aircon or PAS) setup with auto tensioner.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh30/AW_06/HPIM1401.jpg

djbrowney
25-04-10, 08:30 PM
Depends if you run wide multi v belt setup or run single V, some people need the single V to clear the chassis leg.
I personally run multi V using the standard sport (with no aircon or PAS) setup with auto tensioner.

i have got to run a muilt v belt, how is it some people say they fit, some say they dont ????:thumb:

AlexW
25-04-10, 08:31 PM
I think its nova tollerances tbh

Southie (who also runs solid mounts) dont have much clearance with the single V iirc. His is mk1, OFC mine is mk2.

Mine has plenty of space, Best thing is to suck it and see!

Edit, If ya want il find a pic of the clearance on mine.

milko96
25-04-10, 09:02 PM

Dont have the part numbers for this setup do ya buddy?

AlexW
25-04-10, 10:01 PM
I dont, Il see what pics i have of the setup, but it basically the lower alt bracket with the bolt holes for the standard vauxhall auto tensioner (could be called self tensioner), Just a bit bit of alloy.

Edit; Bingo!

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh30/AW_06/HPIM1645.jpg

kc_08
09-05-10, 01:05 PM
mines set up the same as aw06's but i dont know what belt its using or tensioner as i bought it off a mate already done and sold my other engine, mines a mk1 and i dont have a huge amount of clearance, i also dont mind putting pictures up later

blacknova123
16-10-10, 10:34 PM
hi mate ive put a 1.4 8v engine in my nova but need some help wiring it... i have the 9 pin plug that needs wiring into the spi loom or can you not do that. also can you put an ecu of a corsa mreg straight onto the loom that came off the corsa also and put it in my car would it work... it dont need promgramming does it...

NOVA saloon
11-01-11, 07:21 PM
call me thick but is it the linkage that comes from the car that you chop or is it the bit that slides into the linkages from the car. its a 4 speed btw

Nova Baz
20-02-11, 10:25 PM
no if you lift the gear seletor boot in the car there's a plastic lug on the right hand side that need's cutting off

NOVA saloon
20-02-11, 11:15 PM
Thank you very much sir

tonytoc11
02-03-11, 12:01 AM
Does anyone have a pic of the drivers side mount with the aircon and pas removed?

AlexW
02-03-11, 12:02 AM
Its just a standard Nova mount mate, Or is it the alt belt your wanting to see?

tonytoc11
02-03-11, 05:07 PM
Its just a standard Nova mount mate, Or is it the alt belt your wanting to see?
Ya the alt belt is what I need to see

AlexW
02-03-11, 05:08 PM
You need a lower alternator bracket from a Corsa SRi 16v without pas/aircon.

That or make up a top alternator bracket so you can push the alt back like Novas have as standard.

Jonesyboy
02-03-11, 05:19 PM
I've got a mk2 1.2 carb model and I wanted to put a 2.0 in it but I think it's gonna be too much money and require more skill and patience than I've got. So i'm now considering a smallblock conversion, what engine would be best that would be as close to a straight swap as possible? when I say straight swap i mean literally just fitting the engine straight in without changing all the other bits. I would have thought only a 1.4

mowgli
02-03-11, 05:22 PM
if you have a 1.2, then you need an engine & gearbox change if you are fitting something decent...the 1.4 & 1.6 mpi (and 16v) need the bigger f13 type of box. if you stick in a 1.4 spi, it would be the easiest swap.

Jonesyboy
02-03-11, 05:38 PM
ok thanks, is it really worth doing do you think? obv its not gonna be really quick but would it be quick enough to warrant doing it?

peester
03-03-11, 08:33 PM
you bearing in mind fuel tanks and lines will be needed to when going carb - to - mpi..?

shed-on-wheels
03-03-11, 08:54 PM
Wiring's the same as usual, thick red>battery,
black>black - ign live,
thick red/blue>fuel pump,
green>green - rev counter,
brown/blue>brown/blue - ECU light,
blue>blue - water temp gauge.
You'll also need the key and transponder from the Astra for the immobiliser part. There are 5 wires to join here.
Red>red - 12v,
black>black - ign live,
brown/blue>brown/blue - ECU light,
blue/red nearest the red wire in the plug goes to blue/red in small plug on ECU loom,
the other blue/red gets connected to the blue/red off the speed sender on the gearbox.

Use a GSi spec rad, Corsa/Tigra top hose, shorten the Astra heater matrix hoses to fit, use an MPi fuel pump (injection tank and lines if the car was originally a carb). Get the downpipes off a C16XE if you can. These will meet up with the Nova GTE/GSi system, you just have to cut/reposition and weld the flange on so it matches up properly. The X14/16 downpipe is a few inches short of the Nova system so will need extending.

gilb
30-04-11, 12:17 PM
How are you doing the accelerator cable im useing a nova one but it seams slack so its delaying the revs??

shed-on-wheels
30-04-11, 12:51 PM
use one from a corsa sport/gsi or a mk3 astra 1.4/1.6 16v or a tigra lol

gilb
30-04-11, 01:27 PM
Just realised im running a nova tb on a dbilas inlet so it has a nova cable but couldnt fit a corsa cable

Danb1987
16-05-11, 06:54 AM
Just a quick one..... Can you use the original alternator from the sport? Ad get belt to fit?

If there's room obviously?

AlexW
16-05-11, 08:06 AM
Most people have been able to use the std alt with std widebelt only a few have had issues and needed V belt

Danb1987
16-05-11, 10:12 PM
Cheers mate! Il have to wait and see, itl be a few weeks till I get it in thow lol

Il new needing lots of help lol lol

phazer
17-05-11, 08:40 AM
Most people have been able to use the std alt with std widebelt only a few have had issues and needed V belt

Theres no way mine would clear with the wide belt set-up. Seems the engine bay tolerances are as good as the rear beam lol

Danb1987
17-05-11, 06:32 PM
Anychance of some pics down the side of the alt etc? To see what's what? :)

AlexW
17-05-11, 07:22 PM
I prob have a pic, I'll see what I can find later. It was close and it was a pain to fit the belt with the engine in, But never caught.

I have a pic of the auto tensioner you need from a non aircon, non pas corsa, Its part of the lower alternator mount, This is one of the things that is hard to find, But its on par with the trigger bottom pully you need for V belt so swings and roundabouts lol

Danb1987
17-05-11, 08:00 PM
Could you not just mod the chassis leg to compensate?
I was planning on making an alt bracket to adjust tension on the alt itself?

calibra-keith
15-06-11, 02:37 PM
Just taking full loom out now but how much of it can i get rid of ? its for track car so just need enough for it to run,

jonn
15-06-11, 03:07 PM
i had to use the full engine loom, here is a picture of my x16xel loom
http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/jonny057/16l16vengine006.jpg

boomtings1
29-06-11, 11:40 PM
wats the vss and where should it be located on the doner car

swedge
30-06-11, 04:59 PM
vehicle speed sensor screws into the gearbox where the speedo cable goes, thr cable then screws in on top of it

it has 3 wires on it 1+ 1 earth and 1 signal wire im sure

boomtings1
01-07-11, 09:02 PM
oh dear, mine doesnt have a speed sensor on the box, just has a litle blanking plate. Should it still work it i just dont connect the vss wires up.

phazer
01-07-11, 11:02 PM
You'll probably find it'll try to stall at junctions without the VSS.

boomtings1
02-07-11, 10:49 PM
Rite so this is where i am with the wiring. Iv connected some of it in, and i have crossed some wires off that im hopin i wont need. Will it still work without these wires connected.
I cant try it yet as i dont have the pump and tank yet. Many thanks for help.
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/6739/loomedit.jpg
By boomtings1 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/boomtings1) at 2011-07-02

AlexW
03-07-11, 08:34 AM
You need the VSS else the car will stall everytime you slow right down, and it means it can run rough sometimes. You will want the EML working if you have any issues, its only one wire, connect it! and why arent you wanting a rev counter?

boomtings1
03-07-11, 09:11 AM
Im only wanting to kno if will work like this for now as i dont have an EML VSS or a rev counter

Dayle_
05-07-11, 08:36 PM
Just a quick one but what do i connect the coolant temp wire upto? Its the thick blue one from the dash cluster. I dont have the standard ECU mind, its a DTA s40. I presume i can't just connect this into the ECU's sensor as its a twin wire CTS on the C16XE?

Phaser how have you connected your temp sensor?

phazer
05-07-11, 10:56 PM
The dash guage is different to the CTS. The dash is a single blue with a spade connector that fits at the back of the thermostat, it's little more than a brass stub with a pin thing on the top for a spade to slide onto. The CTS has two pins and is connected as per the DTA wiring diagram, this is also mounted at the thermostat. Can't remember if the socket if blue or black, tempted to say blue.

Dayle_
06-07-11, 09:29 AM
Right i shall look for this when i go upto the car!!! Was only aware of the one sensor around the CTS and thats the one thats connected to DTA! Thanks again!

Phil_d
08-07-11, 06:43 PM
You need a lower alternator bracket from a Corsa SRi 16v without pas/aircon.

That or make up a top alternator bracket so you can push the alt back like Novas have as standard.

What fan belt is this does anyone know as i need one for when mine goes in and iv remooved the power steering pump so my old one is miles too big, cheers Phil.

Phil_d
24-07-11, 09:01 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150392844711&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Can anyone tell me if this is the right centre section for my conversion cheers. Its a c16xe i have the original manifold and front pipe.

shed-on-wheels
26-07-11, 05:31 PM
use a corsa sri 16v belt buddy or what i did was measure it with a piece of string went down to my local motor factors and said i need a belt this long but this witdh ect just take your old one as a reasurance to

Phil_d
27-07-11, 10:29 PM
Cheers mate got it sorted now, when i first got on the phone to the motor factors we use through work they just said no but i rang back the next day, spoke to someone else and they said they had them in stock and sent me one out :D

Nova Baz
09-12-11, 04:06 AM
doe's anyone have any photo's of where i need to cut the exhaust to make it fit?

swedge
09-12-11, 06:44 AM
you basicly just have to mount the manifold and line everything up and mark it

shed-on-wheels
09-12-11, 10:51 AM
what swedge said

peester
11-12-11, 04:34 PM
I have a std o.e spec mild steel exhaust system (manifold back) maodfied to fit o.e std x14 and x16xe in a nova, for sale if anyone wants it/measurements off of it?

ExTrEmeOc
25-12-11, 05:07 PM
Good Guide. Used it to do my smallblock XE conversion. Big Thanks :thumb:

JordyzNova
28-01-12, 10:34 AM
would this all be the same for a 2liter eco tec ??

John
28-01-12, 10:36 AM
would this all be the same for a 2liter eco tec ??

The 2.0 ecotech is big block, so you'll need mounts and shafts etc.

JordyzNova
29-01-12, 04:05 PM
yes ino i can get a mount easy and they just use standerd gsi shafts 22splines yes ???
its more off the wiring side than anything because im not sure how they wire the transpoonder and key like. ive told the wiring is near enuf the same as a redtop to wire into the car

thanks

swedge
29-01-12, 04:10 PM
transponder wiring is all in here

SimonTW
08-03-12, 02:19 PM
I have just taken delivery of my C16XE conversion with the original gearbox.

This part below isn't on the end of the speedo cable where it mounts to the box. Is the VSS in a different location on the Corsa and needs this unit from an Astra retro fitting? I seem to remember last time I did it I had a unit like the one below but I also had the digidash conversion which used the box mounted speed sensor.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh30/AW_06/101_3889.jpg

SimonTW
09-03-12, 11:13 AM
Okay, found my answer to the question above.

New question...

How many pulses does the VSS need to produce?

AA - 6 PULSES - 90148828

AF - 15 PULSES - 90009089

AY - 2 PULSES - 90320053

Southie
09-03-12, 12:50 PM
Simon, I used the AA transducer on my old C16xe conversion without any issues.

SimonTW
09-03-12, 01:52 PM
Cheers Southie. I don't know if this is of use to anyone but I'll post it in here being a resource for fitting the engine.

I bought the speed sensor from this site:
http://www.vauxhall-car-parts.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh001234.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2evauxhall-car-parts%2eco%2euk%2facatalog%2fNova_Sensors%2ehtml&WD=90148828&PN=VAUXHALL_SPEEDO_TRANSMITTER_-_90148828%2ehtml%23a90148828#a90148828

Colonel
19-03-12, 10:18 AM
Am fitting a X14XE out of my Corsa sport, it never had a VSS, do I need one?

swedge
19-03-12, 03:28 PM
if it dosnt have an immobilisor no you dont

twin40s
24-03-12, 05:14 PM
What wiring to i need to take out the donor car its a 1.6 corsa sport engine is x16xe please help .

swedge
24-03-12, 05:21 PM
just the engine loom that connects to the ecu, you dont need the starter loom, youll need the bit that screws into the gearbox too if it has an immobilisor

twin40s
24-03-12, 08:19 PM
Also a silly question what do you do with the fuel lines and connectors.

I'm putting into a carb model.

swedge
25-03-12, 03:43 AM
Get the hose connectors off the donor car that connect to the fuel rail, there's 2 the return and feed and then join them onto your new copper pipe or whatever your using

maddogdaz666
26-03-12, 08:29 PM
Right I've got mine in and wired up. Took it all out of the donor Tigra and using the same ecu chip and transponder. It fires up and cuts out after a second or 2? The purple relay clicks on then clicks off and the engine cuts out. It did do this a couple of times in te Tigra so I'm gonna try a new relay tmoz. Any other ideas people?

mowgli
26-03-12, 08:37 PM
start a thread in the mechanical section for a start. people will help you

maddogdaz666
27-03-12, 07:35 PM
i will, just thought id try here too,

maddogdaz666
03-04-12, 07:42 AM
Anybody got the part number or a picture of the alternator belt tensioner that you need from the Corsa Sri 16v? As that's all this thread is missing.

SimonTW
03-04-12, 08:48 AM
I used the following parts for my wide belt setup

90571112 - Bracket (approx £50)
11085834 - Extra bolt for the bottom of the bracket (approx £1.70)
90412884 - tensioner (approx £110)
11098351 - bolt for tensioner to alternator bracket (approx £1.70)
93182243 - Alternator belt (approx £25)

http://www.cartensioners.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=22345?utm_source=goog le&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=Make-Model-Product
Cheaper alternative for the tensioner.

maddogdaz666
04-04-12, 05:39 PM
Cheers just got the tensioner and belt from autovaux :thumb:

SimonTW
15-04-12, 11:44 AM
Is there any downside to not connecting the throttle body coolant hoses other than the possibility of it freezing? I take it one hose connects to the heater matrix hose and the other goes to the header tank hose?

maddogdaz666
15-04-12, 07:06 PM
Yeah that's how they connect but I cut the heater matrix pipe when I took the engine out of the Tigra, and my header tank only has one return so I haven't got it connected and I cannot see any downside to not having it.

Mieran
19-04-12, 11:28 PM
Couple of quick questions.

I've noticed that digi dash transducer has same 3 wires as a VSS. So can I use a digi dash transducer to feed the clocks and ECU? Bearing in mind the VSS is AA and the transducer is AK.

Do I need to use an in line fuse in the fuel pump red/blue wire?

SimonTW
20-04-12, 09:18 AM
I would run an inline fuse for the pump just to be on the safe side. My last C16XE Nova just used feeds from the Digi Dash speed sender so it should be okay.

shed-on-wheels
20-04-12, 11:04 AM
the c16 you dont need a vss, but the x16 you do, i run it with my digi clock vss for about 8months with no problems buddy, juest earth, ign live and split the signal wire in 2 and one goes to clocks and other to transponder

SimonTW
20-04-12, 11:25 AM
C16 wiring diagram in the haynes shows the ECU as using a speed signal sender so probably best using it as it's designed to use it....

Mieran
20-04-12, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the advice.

And C16XE deffo needs VSS because my loon used to cut out every time the revs dropped then stopped doing it after I fitted a VSS.

maddogdaz666
20-04-12, 11:59 AM
Yes both 16xe engines need the vss, I'm now running mine on the digi dash and transducer too.

phazer
20-04-12, 06:09 PM
Yep as above it's primarily used for coast down, you'll see people complaining of stalling at junctions without one. On the X engines it just happens to have been used for the immobiliser also.

Mieran
21-04-12, 10:16 PM
Here is how I did my alternator belt, might help others.

Not sure if it will work, only one way to find out when engine goes in. lol

I used a 1.2 8V alternator elongated bracket thing then flattened it down a bit in the vice till I was happy with it, then tension it with a bar and tighten up.

Had to trim it a bit at the top because it was catching on the throttle body.

http://s16.postimage.org/8h8583y9x/Photo0379.jpg

And belt I used.

http://s16.postimage.org/85va9377p/Photo0381.jpg

maddogdaz666
22-04-12, 09:52 AM
I ended up getting the tensioner and bracket from my local Vauxhall breakers (RIBooth) for £10 they're the same off Zaria X18XEL and astra mk4 1.4 1.6 too.

Mieran
24-04-12, 10:52 PM
Came across a problem today while trying to fit the transducer in the box.

It sticks out quite a bit:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg204/scaled.php?server=204&filename=photo0384m.jpg&res=landing

Side by side with the standard VSS:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg15/scaled.php?server=15&filename=photo0385v.jpg&res=landing

No teeth on the diff ring?

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg843/scaled.php?server=843&filename=photo0388k.jpg&res=landing

So apart from getting another box, what else can I do?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/204/photo0384m.jpg/

maddogdaz666
25-04-12, 07:20 AM
Why can't you use the electrical transducer? They have the same 3 wires I think?????

Mieran
25-04-12, 10:21 AM
Because digi dash probably wont work?

And I can't be bothered wiring in the Tigra clocks lol

maddogdaz666
25-04-12, 12:33 PM
I thought it would work the same, I've never tried it tho, I just presumed it would.

shed-on-wheels
25-04-12, 01:00 PM
why not just use a 1.2 spi transponder and nova clocks? but i used a vss from a astra gte for didgi clocks

Mieran
25-04-12, 03:19 PM
Problem is not with the choice of transducer. The white bit that spins doesn't fit.

SimonTW
25-04-12, 04:23 PM
What gearbox and engine code are you using.

My C16XE's with F15's have both been the cog style speedo drives.

Mieran
25-04-12, 09:39 PM
Its a X16XE out of a W reg Tigra using original box, I think its F15.

John
25-04-12, 09:44 PM
you need to use a gearbox with the cog drive, not with the gap gear as you have.

John
25-04-12, 09:45 PM
How many wires are on the tigra vss? 2 or 3? the option is to find a wiring diag that tells you what is what.

scott.parker
25-04-12, 10:41 PM
Oh bugger, so i presume ill also have this issue with my x16xe froma w reg corsa sport with f15??

Mieran
25-04-12, 11:15 PM
How many wires are on the tigra vss? 2 or 3? the option is to find a wiring diag that tells you what is what.
3 wires same as Nova vss and astra digi dash transducer

Brown
Black
Red/blue

John
26-04-12, 08:57 AM
Wire them up as you would the old style vss. :)

maddogdaz666
26-04-12, 05:18 PM
That's why I thought they would work, wire it up the same and see if it works. The N reg Tigra I broke had a cog drive F15, but the loom still had the plug ready for the vss. But the W reg 1.7d combo I put the V6 in had the electric vss, I thought they would just work the same tbh.

Mieran
26-04-12, 10:14 PM
I think you're missing the point, if I use the standard VSS I won't have a speedo.

maddogdaz666
27-04-12, 09:12 AM
It will wire up to a digi dash

John
27-04-12, 12:15 PM
Cable drive speedo/vss with cog box, or gap gear vss with digdash.

Liam
06-05-12, 12:19 AM
I'm about to put a X16XE out of a Corsa Sport in my Nova. This is probably a stupid question but can I use the whole Corsa front "mechanical" end (engine, gearbox, hubs, brakes, driveshafts etc) and bolt it all into the Nova or are the Corsa's differant?

_Jake
06-05-12, 06:29 PM
hubs and drive shafts are different, pretty sure the driveshafts will be wider as corsa's have a wider track mate

Liam
06-05-12, 06:31 PM
But if I use the whole Corsa running gear the driveshafts and hubs would fit woudn't they?

phazer
06-05-12, 08:47 PM
The track would be too wide if you used steering arms, shafts and knuckles...sticky out wheels that catch the arch on the front isn't a good look lol You can use any Nova shafts other than 1.0l IIRC

maddogdaz666
06-05-12, 09:01 PM
Everything will bolt in, except the driveshafts they are longer I think?

Mieran
06-05-12, 11:29 PM
You can use the hubs and brakes but you need to use Nova shafts

SimonTW
07-05-12, 09:32 AM
Just a general quick question

For the perm and switched live is it okay just using male spade connectors plugged into the accessory power sockets on the right hand side of the fuse box as I don't have central locking or electric windows?

phazer
07-05-12, 02:39 PM
No reason why not provided you're using the right guage of wire for the fuse rating.

mowgli
07-05-12, 05:30 PM
You can use any Nova shafts other than 1.0l IIRC

my 1.0 shafts are doing fine on mine.

Mieran
07-05-12, 05:50 PM
What throttle cable are people using?

I've tried loads I've got (Nova/Tigra/Corsa/Calibra) and they're all too long!

maddogdaz666
07-05-12, 05:54 PM
Just a general quick question

For the perm and switched live is it okay just using male spade connectors plugged into the accessory power sockets on the right hand side of the fuse box as I don't have central locking or electric windows?

Thats how mine is wired in and im having no problems

maddogdaz666
07-05-12, 05:55 PM
What throttle cable are people using?

I've tried loads I've got (Nova/Tigra/Corsa/Calibra) and they're all too long!

ive bodged the tigra one on.

mowgli
07-05-12, 06:53 PM
just modify the bracket.

SimonTW
07-05-12, 07:24 PM
Nice one. Thanks for the info. After an initial problem with it not sparking a quick tweak of the earths had it burst into life. It's very tappy from the top end but I'm presuming it's a sticky lifter due to it being stood for so long without oil in.

My cable is just a bodged one using a piece of fuel hose to take up the slack at the pedal end.

phazer
07-05-12, 07:42 PM
my 1.0 shafts are doing fine on mine.

Thought they were different, rather than not strong enough.

mowgli
07-05-12, 08:09 PM
they are identical.

John
07-05-12, 08:10 PM
Thought they were different, rather than not strong enough.

Iirc the 1.0 ran a 4 speed f10, so driveshafts are the same as any other f10'd nova. I once put a 1.4 in a 1.0 and used the 1.0 shafts no probs :)

mowgli
07-05-12, 08:12 PM
yes, the f10 1.0 box has a different shaped bellhousing, but the output side is the same as the ohc versions, so its a bolt up job to swap it.

mk1nova_rich
09-05-12, 04:50 PM
Going back to the speed sensors topic, do the 'gap gear' senders give out the same pulse signal as a cable drive VSS?

Ie, could a non-cable type be wired up to an older ECU? (the cable wouldn't be needed)

phazer
09-05-12, 06:20 PM
You'd need to find out the pulse count for both, if they match then you're good to go. If they don't then you'd need something to alter it. There was a guy on Mig selling converters.

It sometimes says on EPC what the counts are, I can't check for you at the moment though.

Southie
09-05-12, 06:22 PM
Rich, as said before get intouch with Dom on migweb as he's the guy that did the VSS pulse sensors ;)

Liam
18-06-12, 10:37 PM
Does anyone have a part no for a Gates belt suitable for a single v-belt setup or some more information on what belt is required?

swedge
18-06-12, 11:48 PM
Use a bit of string and measure the length you need then go to a parts place that's what I do

boyd_1989
19-06-12, 01:54 AM
About the driveshaft questions....
I used corsa gsi shafts on my c16xe nova conversion as they came with it.
The short shaft gave up after a month or 2 lol but the long shaft lasted over a year, their still fine now but i need 2 new inner cv's lol.
So as far as i know, corsa shafts do work / fit.
Alot of people on here may dissagree but they worked on mine...

swedge
19-06-12, 03:53 AM
Corsa shafts are longer so you either had modified shafts or something wasn't bolted in proper

boyd_1989
19-06-12, 01:54 PM
Was all perfectly fine, and just looked like normall shafts so I dunno. Maybe the corsa the engine came from had nova shafts? Lol unlikely though.

swedge
19-06-12, 04:20 PM
it would be very hard to bolt up using orsa shafts

Liam
24-06-12, 06:36 PM
Looking for a fuel pump and came across this one. It is advertised as being removed from a 1996 Astra mk3 1.4 LS. Would this pump fit in a Nova tank?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqVHJDkE-ODOkpogBPt2+IEYW!~~60_12.JPG

Cheers, Liam.

John
24-06-12, 06:39 PM
iirc it wil fit, but you need one from a mpi donor.

Liam
25-06-12, 11:23 PM
That one above is from an Mpi donor I think. So do you need to replace everything such as above or just get a MPi pump and put it into the Nova cradle etc?

Sorry to sound dumb but I don't know what the Nova pump looks like.

maddogdaz666
26-06-12, 10:21 AM
That mpi pump will fit in nova 1.2i and 1.4i tanks and SRi tanks. Any nova that ends with i really lol

A nova GTE and GSI tanks have an external pump which are different

Don't worry if you think you sound dumb, we all have to start somewhere

Markd89
05-07-12, 09:31 PM
to see how to do an alternator belt without the tensioner so you dont have to get a different bracket + tensioner + belt see my w.i.p in my signature

Also, what cars have the cable driven vss ?

novaload88
05-09-12, 10:50 PM
hello every one been looking in to engines and what one too put in the car thinking of a 1.6 16v they seam a cheep enough option what am wonting to know is this work doing this seams like the place to ask :) got a 1.2 in car at present so its bound to be a vast improvement lollol and ave heard seam welding not nessesery.. opinions please :)

phazer
06-09-12, 10:44 PM
Mine isn't seam welded and I'm running around 150bhp with an X16XE. Lots and lots of hard driving and launches at the Pod haven't caused any movement on the standard seams. The 1.6 doesn't really have enough torque IMO to justify welding. However, if the car is engine less and there is a chance you might swap to a bigger engine later you may as well do it.

Liam
24-10-12, 08:46 PM
I've fitted an X16XE in my Nova but am having a couple of slight problems.

The engine management light stays on all the time. When I earth the wire from the 9 pin plug the light flashes, firstly 4 times and then 9 times. Then, when you remove the earth it clears for a couple of seconds and then comes on again. Does anybody know what these could be?

I've fitted a Dbilas inlet manifold and forgot to write down where all of the vacuum tubes go. I've sort of worked it out but I don't know if it's right. I've got a tube from the EGR valve to the inlet, MAP sensor to the inlet, FPR to inlet, Brake servo one-way breather blanked off?, ICV valve to inlet. I've also connected the tank vent switch but left the breathers off.

We had problems at first where it would start and idle really rough and hesitate in low RPM but was OK at higher RPM. We since connected the above and it all seems OK except for a slight hesitation when revving hard. Could this be the throttle body sensor thing?

johnd
25-10-12, 10:04 AM
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc384/johnd7/002.jpg

johnd
25-10-12, 10:18 AM
hope that helps liam from the top egr valve to manifold, fpr to manifold, engine cam cover breather to manifold
bottom tank vent valve, and map sensor :)

DanielRix
08-01-13, 05:31 PM
Im now cracking on with a 1.2 carb, to the x16xe.. Think most of its pretty straight forward but need the solve the fuel problem, simplest way to find a tank from a gte/gsi?
Can i use a inline fuel pump? or? ...

maddogdaz666
08-01-13, 06:56 PM
Yeah an inline fuel pump will work on original tank if you always keep the tank above 1/4 full

DanielRix
08-01-13, 11:01 PM
Yeah that's hassle, Rather do it proper, So basically need to find another tank?

+ I was planning to drop the whole front end off the corsa, like legs, brakes, driveshafts keeping it all as a whole, then dropping the nova on top? Or do i need to use the nova shafts? hubs?

maddogdaz666
09-01-13, 07:38 AM
You'll have to use nova shafts mate, Corsa ones are a little longer I think. And the engine mounts are different. And depending on which Corsa, the bottom arms are different.

DanielRix
09-01-13, 09:46 AM
Thought the engine mounts will be the same.. yeah but the nova driveshaft's will go into the box and corsa hubs?

maddogdaz666
09-01-13, 05:48 PM
You can use your nova shafts and your nova mounts and nova hubs.
But yeah the nova shafts will go into the Corsa hubs

maddogdaz666
09-01-13, 05:55 PM
+ I was planning to drop the whole front end off the corsa, like legs, brakes, driveshafts keeping it all as a whole, then dropping the nova on top? Or do i need to use the nova shafts? hubs?

You can use the legs
You can use the hubs and brakes
You'll need the nova shafts
You'll need the nova mounts, unsure if the rear gearbox mount is the same tho

It is the easiest way by getting a full car, so you know the engine runs and everythings there, you can also get the transponder loom out of the donor car too.

DanielRix
09-01-13, 11:34 PM
Ive got a full N reg, Corsa GSI, So stripping that and ive dropped everything out the bottom, ie. legs, coilovers, bottom arms, brakes... everything!

maddogdaz666
10-01-13, 08:41 AM
Cool, should be fairly easy then

Balley
10-01-13, 08:45 AM
Bottom arms are different as are the shafts

DanielRix
10-01-13, 10:10 PM
Ive dropped this little lot straight out the corsa, am i right in saying this is the c16xe?

http://i45.tinypic.com/ea2udf.jpg

Southie
10-01-13, 10:35 PM
The best way of telling usually is by the head, just under the rocker cover there will be 5 dimples that stand out, if all are even then they usually are C16xe's... If they're of different lengths then there usually a X16xe or X16xel

DanielRix
10-01-13, 10:53 PM
Will have a look tomorrow, Struggling to find a fuel tank and pump now! :(

mk1nova_rich
11-01-13, 10:47 PM
Tank and pump here. PM me if still needed

DanielRix
22-01-13, 07:39 PM
The corsa b hubs, can go straight on the nova providing i use the nova shafts yes?

as ive left hubs and brakes as one

johnd
23-01-13, 02:49 PM
that is what i did daniel never had no problem

DanielRix
04-02-13, 05:52 PM
Using this... http://www.carbodypanels4u.co.uk/vauxhall/nova/vauxhall-nova-5-door-hatchback-1983-1989-mk1/fuel-tank-petrol-injection/

and

This would work?... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Astra-Mk3-Fuel-Pump-/251224254293?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a7e21e755

Liam
04-02-13, 10:57 PM
Using this... http://www.carbodypanels4u.co.uk/vauxhall/nova/vauxhall-nova-5-door-hatchback-1983-1989-mk1/fuel-tank-petrol-injection/

and

This would work?... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Astra-Mk3-Fuel-Pump-/251224254293?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a7e21e755

Yes they will both work together.

DanielRix
04-02-13, 11:14 PM
Ive been told i can use the fuel lines that are already on my car?

DanielRix
26-02-13, 06:20 PM
Ive got my x16xe in and running, took it for a drive today, and the limiter seems to be really early? around 3.5k? :S

chrisd1986
24-03-13, 12:42 PM
right ive been looking at this guide but is there a way to get round the speedo sensor (to stop it cutting out when i dip the clutch) so i can use a cable speedo

Liam
25-03-13, 09:25 PM
Yes, use a Nova 1.2 Spi speedo sensor. It has a cable but also the wires needed to stop it cutting out.

Southie
27-03-13, 12:40 PM
right ive been looking at this guide but is there a way to get round the speedo sensor (to stop it cutting out when i dip the clutch) so i can use a cable speedo

One of these is what you need ;)

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p379/SOUTHIE01/e4c645f6.jpg

Balley
27-03-13, 12:54 PM
They are fitted on most corsa b to be fair. All the 8v should have them, some 16vs don't though

chrisd1986
27-03-13, 07:25 PM
i picked up a af one from the scrappys today

Curtoise
28-04-13, 05:32 PM
hi all, just a quick question on the wiring stripping part.
when chopping the plugs off my standard ecu (1.4spi) and pulling them through to remove them from the car how do i split the rest of the loom for the headlights and everything? or is it literally seperate it all then re-wrap it?
thanks

johnd
28-04-13, 10:28 PM
that's what I did curtoise cut plugs removed all the wires then re-wraped what wires were left

Curtoise
28-04-13, 11:12 PM
is it quite easy then? im imagining spaghetti going everywhere lol

johnd
28-04-13, 11:19 PM
not to bad just took my time. with mine was a 1.2spi

Curtoise
30-04-13, 07:24 PM
Another quick question does the standard alternator belt clear the chassis? Does anyone have any pictures ?

scott.parker
13-06-13, 01:27 PM
This thread needs a clean up, needs all the information that's vital putting on page one, as it's a right ballach to search through..

TonySR
19-04-15, 12:55 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/TonySR/Nova%20K41/FB_IMG_1429380793157_zpszu8nvcnr.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/TonySR/media/Nova%20K41/FB_IMG_1429380793157_zpszu8nvcnr.jpg.html)