PDA

View Full Version : Is my engine fcuked?

burgessovsalford
04-03-03, 11:13 AM
I took my oil cap off the other day to find small amounts of smoke coming out of it. It was'nt loads of smoke at all just a little bit.

Do you think my engine is badly worn? Its done about 95k miles & is a 1.2carb G-reg.

I think the engine is due an oil change do you think that will get rid of this, If not do them additive things a good idea what are suppost to get rid of smoky engines?

_JH_
04-03-03, 11:19 AM
its supposed to do that slightly. but yes, if it is excessive then the engine may be in need of a recon. if your worried take it to a garage, they wont charge you for lookin at it.

its impossible to say without lookin at it in person.

(although you'll probably get 10 or so replies all saying different things from yes its fuct to no its fine)

Aragorn
04-03-03, 12:02 PM
if u have JUST stopped then im sure its fine

mine does it too (and to make it worse i added cold oil streight on top of the roasting cam :D) and its doen 102k

i recall the throttle body doing summat similar when i yanked the airbox off after just stopping

Euan
04-03-03, 12:13 PM
this happens on mine aswell

burgessovsalford
04-03-03, 01:35 PM
Yes it happens when i've just stopped after ive been driving for a while.. No major smoke just a little.

Well im glad im not alone, im gunna give it an oil change soon anyway as the oil is dirt black :x

ade
04-03-03, 02:30 PM
its natural. Hot oil, sealed in an engine, you open the highest exit point and the heat/vapour "smoke" will escape - its like a kettle giving off steam. Oil is a liquid and evaporates (or burns off) just like water - just at much higher temps.

Just keep an eye on the level if your worried.

Ade

Nova-Boy
04-03-03, 03:16 PM
I must say i have never taken the oil filler cap off just after driving. I might have to give that a try. My engine has done about 6000 miles since a re-build so it should be ok. If there is any smoke i would say yours is fine too. I will let you know.

mikeoxford
04-03-03, 07:06 PM
when you take the cap off, also smell it (without it hitting you nose LOL big black nose)

sniff for petrol, and or smoke

intergraleevo
05-03-03, 09:39 PM
first of all you have to think WHY is it burning? A: because the oil is too hot. Then why is it getting hot? could be many reasons : oils job is to a) lubricate parts and b) dissapate heat so perhaps the problems are: 1) not enough oil, therefore same amount of heat has to be dissapated by a smaller amount of oil, resulting in hotter oil and hence perhaps some burning. 2) Oil has impurities (crap to you and me) in it. The bits of grit and sand and tiny shards of metal collect up over the time, and this dosent have as good heat properties as oil, so reducing its eficiency. 3) Wrong grade of oil / oil is gunked up. iF the oil is a bit too think, either through wrong grade or through gunk build up, it wont flow round the engine as nice, so it wont dissapate he as well as it could. Also some oil will burn off anyway and its not really advisable to take off your cap after hot running, dosent do much good really. spose it cant do that much harm either just no point in doing it is there? another reason could be that the pump is starting too slow down just wear and tear really.

techie
05-03-03, 09:54 PM
Its just crankcase vapour chill man...relax.

intergraleevo
06-03-03, 12:11 AM
yeah nutin serious just a case of change oil if you want to just statin the reasons. ok yeah i did get a bit heavy though! :o :n00b: