PDA

View Full Version : v6 conversion

brake-dust
03-09-09, 04:14 PM
fancy doing one, how much is involved? i.e. mounts etc???

Welsh Dan
03-09-09, 04:22 PM
Lots. You need to carry out the usual stitch welding and strengthening plate work to the engine bay, big block driveshafts, inner CV joints and wiring as you would a C20XE. On top of that you need to fabricate your own drivers side engine mount, and the equal-length driveshaft bracket needs to be modified. The front bank will sit over the crossmember so you need to think about radiator placement.

Stuart
03-09-09, 04:28 PM
look at RJ's build

brake-dust
03-09-09, 04:36 PM
look at RJ's build

couldnt actually find it, will have another look now, thanks for the info

Jack
03-09-09, 06:14 PM
You won't find it as I don't have one.

TBH, its not THAT much more work than an XE - big block shafts is a given as the gearbox and driveshaft aspect is exactly the same as an XE. You don't need to cut the inner wing for the alternator, but you WILL need to chop the slam panel as it dissects the front bank cam cover lol

The radiator JUST fits without kinking the hoses, but it will run pretty warm unless you spend money on a decent rad and/or fan. I run a std MPi rad & fan with the fan on switched live - it runs a tad warmer than I'd like but its yet to properly overheat.

Also, you WILL need to run coilovers with decent springs too, my XE suspension wasn't strong enough to take the weight. Oh, and don't expect to go round corners as it won't. lol

There's also other bits and bobs which need to be done depending on whether you have the 152 or 180