PDA

View Full Version : What an insult!

shanehandley
03-03-03, 09:33 PM
This following letter was in our local newspaper, is this an insult or what! surely the police wud prefer us to spend money on our cars other than drugs etc and mugin old ppl! wot do ya rekon.

ROADSTERS BLIGHT SEAFRONT

It was quite a pleasant Sunday evening so I decided to take a stroll along Torquay seafront.

There was hardly a soul about. But then the peace was shattered. The sound of a car, its exhaust bellowing as if it was full of holes and music (I use the word loosely) pounding from its stereo, sped past.

Then another followed. Followed by another and another.

The "boy racers" were in town.

And it seemed that the prom was an ideal meeting place - and race track - for them.

As I turned round at the Pavilion to head back to the Recreation Ground and home a long line of souped-up noisy cars raced from one end of the seafront and back again.

I have never been to Brands Hatch - but this was the nearest thing to it.

It seems the racers - they're the ones that spend thousands of pounds doing up the likes of clapped-out Vauxhall Novas and also take great delight in driving through the town centre, windows blackened out, music pounding and baseballs caps on back to front - are a regular nuisance on the seafront these days.

Mark Buck, manager of the Marina Restaurant overlooking the harbour, said: "It is the same every night here.

"They park in the lay-by opposite the theatre. Then they just go backwards and forwards along the seafront.

"They cause us no real problems but it is a bit of a nuisance especially when our customers leave in the evenings.

"They rev up their engines and their stereos are going."

Guests at the Torbay Hotel, just across the road, have been losing some of their beauty sleep because of the roadsters.

A worker at the hotel said: "We do not get real problems with them but we do get some complaints from guests about the noise at night."

Police are not aware of the problem and have had no complaints.

A spokesman said: "It is the first we have heard about it."

He revealed there were some problems with the racers last year. They were using the Beacon Quay car park as a rendezvous.

And there were also problems at the Broadsands car park in Paignton last year after complaints from residents.

But officers acted and the problems were resolved.

Perhaps, they need to take similar action on Torquay seafront.

MattyWoo
03-03-03, 09:50 PM
Mate there are some idiots about though!!!
i went to college today and one of the blokes there was askin where i went yesterday and i told him milton keynes. So he was asking did i see all his mates there and stuff, i was like "no i went to a meet not the milton keynes cruise" he couldnt understand why we met up and talked about our cars instead of racing around the centre and causing a nuisance.

shanehandley
03-03-03, 09:55 PM
yeah i agree its those few who give us others a bad name!

MattyWoo
03-03-03, 09:58 PM
these articles though always mention 3 words: Nova, Racing, Cap!!!

whitey
03-03-03, 10:05 PM
All the same! I go to places like that and meet up with tunes on etc but its better than being in Bournemouth town centre as far as the old bill are concerned!

I can see how it would annoy people but at the end of the day, its TOUGH!
Idiots which drive like twats do let the side down! ALTHOUGH not one of us can honestly hand on heart say that we never have lived upto the reputation!

Just some do it all the time!

Fester
03-03-03, 10:49 PM

This pretty much sums the whole piece up. Making assumptions based on preconceptions as opposed to fact is the reason why the police havnt done anything - the 'residents' basically making stuff up :)

_JH_
04-03-03, 12:20 AM
moan at me if you like, and i know everyones got there own opinion, well this is mine.

i cant see the point in kitting your car out like the dance tent at glastonbury. i like my hearing as it is, very good. all it does is attract attention for the wrong reasons, and in the big so called "ICE installs" case, it slows you down too as they weigh so much.

nothing wrong with quality sound, i have pioneer 10cm door speakers and some 6x9's under the shelf, but they never hit full volume. whenever i mention my nova project, or people see the alloys on my fiesta, the first comment is normally along the lines of "so the mobile disco is the next mod then is it? ha ha ha" and it annoys me that this is the image portrayed about young car enthusiasts.

we've all turned the tunes up to sing along on the motorway etc, and some people spends time money and effort prepping sound systems for shows, but a busy street is not a show.

ade
04-03-03, 12:37 AM

How do they know if theyve never been? (muppet comment)

It seems the racers - they're the ones that spend thousands of pounds doing up the likes of clapped-out Vauxhall Novas and also take great delight in driving through the town centre, windows blackened out, music pounding and baseballs caps on back to front - are a regular nuisance on the seafront these days.

Obviously watched Car Junkies the other night! I dont know anyone who wears a baseball cap back to front - ever!

:evil:

Bet the person who wrote it is single - not getting it enough and likes to "do their bit for the community"

Life - get one

techie
04-03-03, 12:39 AM
Im all up for car meets where like minded people meet to disscuss their cars and help people out with modding problems. Shows are also a good meet, and if its at a track even better, where real racing can happen, safely and legally.

I steer well clear of the MK Cruise myself.

RobIsGrt18
04-03-03, 12:06 PM
iv been down torquay before, there are sum proper nice cars down that way!! the reporter is just another muppet who's not researched anything and just wrote what his personal views are, he should try talking to few before writting comments like that!

Ste_Nova
04-03-03, 12:43 PM
illegal street racing in the northwest... every last sunday of the month

i attend the above it's well aranged with walky talkys and police scanners etc

ade
04-03-03, 02:22 PM
lol - true fast n furious stylee!