PDA

View Full Version : Adding to a Roll Cage

Nick
02-09-09, 10:35 AM
So... Let's say i have the usual 6 point bolt-in cage.

I want to ditch the diagonal from the rear, weld in a "X" ... then Weld some bar through to the front struts.

What Metal am i looking at, Cold Drawn Seamless tube ? Prices - Probably need 4 meters MAX

Thanking you.

burgo
02-09-09, 11:52 AM
indeed cold drawn seemless is what you want. its not that cheap tho. i think i paid £60 for 3 meters off ebay

Nick
02-09-09, 12:16 PM
Cheers burgo, just found out my Local Motorsport place sells it by the meter for £13.95 which i can collect in person...

So, next question. Obviously a X for the rear just requires 2 lengths of straight bar. How much bending does 2 bars to the front struts require ? or can you do that with 2 bits of straight bar as well !?

George g
02-09-09, 12:17 PM
Double post

George g
02-09-09, 12:17 PM
If you are log booking the car then be careful as you are not allowed to add or alter a cage. If not then just ignore me.

Yes, cds is what you need. Most steel merchants can deliver it to you.

Nick
02-09-09, 12:21 PM
Nah aint log booking it, may do some hill climbs. I take it running a cage through to front struts doesn't count as any sort of spaceframe/chassis mod !?

George g
02-09-09, 12:26 PM
You will need to check that forward triangulation is allowed, as I'm not sure.

philip
02-09-09, 12:27 PM
nah not space frame.

i did the same to my corsa shell. i added harness bar, went to back of struts, x bars and more triangulation to the bar(all built to transfer impact through the car)

think i used to pay £9 a metre, but you will need more than you think matey.

get some 40mm plastioc plumbing pipe and use that for your templates for your joints/lengths, far cheaper if **** that up than the steel tubing

Nick
02-09-09, 12:31 PM
Sweet, Cheers for the tip !

I aint gonna be making it, got 2 mates on the job - one of them welds steel tubular frames for buildings so he should be able to sort it !

burgo
02-09-09, 01:28 PM
theres no bending involved for the front triangulation

Nick
02-09-09, 01:35 PM
Schweet. I'l get some lengths measured up !

Cheers for your help