PDA

View Full Version : EGR vlave

eggy
03-03-03, 06:47 PM
Am in the process of rebuilding a 1.6 gte engine and was wondering what benifits there are from removing the EGR valve and blanking it off. I know the group A rally spec engines had it removed but they ran reprogramed ECU's and airflow meters would you need to do this aswell to see any improvements? If removed would it cause problems at mot time?

Ben (lurk75)
03-03-03, 07:17 PM
I read a post on this on mig the other day as am going to do it on my X16 XEL.

Basically on that engine, it does help with MPG and will read a fault if you remove it but if you are not bothered with either of this then do it as after all it is one less thing to go wrong!

Yes just un bolt it and put a blanking plate over it.

tay
08-03-03, 05:02 PM
I just put a bolt in where it used to fit - didn't bother with the blanking plate

Maybe thats why it doesn't run right :oops:

mikeoxford
09-03-03, 10:55 AM
excuse my ignorance but whats a EGR valve do?

stugsi
09-03-03, 01:03 PM
the EGR vaule i was talking to some one yesterday bout this he said blank it off have a new mangement system (like the rally one ) then get rid of your air flow meter and just bolt K&N to the throttle housing

Also change the throttle housing for a 1.8 one

sholud get another 15 to 20 bhp

novax
09-03-03, 10:53 PM
Utter rubbish, sorry but you don't need a new ECU etc if you blank the EGR valve. On a GTE engine and all the others for that matter it allows exhaust gas to flow back into the inlet manifold. Only at idle, helps with emissions. It's a common fault on V6, we just blank it off - no other mods.

Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve

If it's OK leave it, if not blank it.

Ben (lurk75)
09-03-03, 11:16 PM
If it's OK leave it, if not blank it.

Summed up perfectly :!:

GSiLuvver
10-03-03, 09:54 PM
EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation. The valve is designed to help reduce nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions by re-introducing a small proportion of the exhaust gases back into the cylinders during the next cycle.

The Haynes manual states that the EGR valve remains closed at coolant temperatures below 17 deg C, when the throttle is fully open, and when the engine is at idle.

To get more power out of your engine, you need to get as much clean, fresh air in as possible. That way, the air/fuel meter will compensate by increasing the amount of fuel to keep the ratio constant. More air + more fuel = bigger bang + more horses!!

If you don't want the EGR valve to function, then it would probably be best to remove/blank off the exhaust gas return pipe if possible. Alternatively, as the EGR valve takes a signal from the coolant temperature, could you just disconnect the coolant temperature switch?

Have you considered the effect on emissions if you remove the valve? Will it cause you a problem with passing the MOT?

Ben (lurk75)
10-03-03, 10:14 PM
The effect that removing it will have is VERY minimal on the performance and emissions, certainly wouldnt effect the MOT standards.

novax
10-03-03, 10:26 PM
Ben - like the quote. Lead singer and driver on the Winabago, outside Bobs Country Bunker - "Blues Brothers" 1981 a true classic

Ben (lurk75)
10-03-03, 10:31 PM
One of the best films made for sure, that quote sums the entire thing up.

I always say it to people, they look very puzzeled then realise what it is and burst out laughing.

TeddySRi
11-03-03, 09:46 AM
Its used in the cold start cycle mainly.