PDA

View Full Version : CV joints and shafts?

Stevo16V
30-08-09, 10:09 PM
Broke an o/s inner cv joint on my xe nova, stripped it all off as i had spare joints from a cav and the they wont fit into my original shafts?

I have 22 spline shafts on the car at the mo which look tiny compared to the cav joints! If i uprate to these larger cv joints and get larger shafts will i be needing to get different outer joints and possibly hubs?

Also going to pick up an equal lenght shaft and i know i need the modified outer shaft from chris astly motorsport but will this encounter problems again with my original outer cv's and hubs?

Any help and info will be much appreciated :thumb:

Cheers steve

nova_saloon
30-08-09, 10:11 PM
yes most aftermarket shafts for upgrading the nova to 2.0xe will mean you have to replace the hubs to take the bigger CV joint

GRUNT 16V
30-08-09, 10:12 PM
If you are fitting big shafts then you must fit the bigger hubs bearings and have both outer and inner cv's this goes for the equal length set up too

AlanH
30-08-09, 10:13 PM
yeah need the bigger hubs mate, the cav cv's are not 22 spline. m-tech or chris astley do the larger hubs already made to fit std. nova bearings, or you can have some machined down. hope this helps

Benn
30-08-09, 10:23 PM
You'll need the very very rare cav mk2 1.6 inners, even when buying new they can be a c**t to find. As most motorfactors will send ones that arnt 22spline. This confused me as they wont work on a cav..

Stevo16V
30-08-09, 10:24 PM
Thanks for all reply's :thumb:

So the best bet for now would just be to replace the broken cv joint with another 22 spline one? Then will give me time to gather all parts necessary for bigger joints, shafts and hubs to fit the equal lenght shaft.

Just that iv track time booked at silverstone next sunday

Iain
30-08-09, 10:25 PM
It's the easiest option. The inner CV is from a mk2 Cav. Edit: As above, as Benn has already pointed out lol

If you struggle to find some Chris Astley sells them.

Stevo16V
30-08-09, 10:27 PM
Cheers benn, ye have a mate who works for bennets so il see if he can source one for me!

Seen chris astley does the 22 spline ones tho so is this a better option?

Benn
30-08-09, 10:28 PM
Chris's about a 50notes a cv now, as they are hard to find.

I've check, first-line, remy, drivelink and one one else and none of them are right..

Stevo16V
30-08-09, 10:32 PM
Chris's about a 50notes a cv now, as they are hard to find.

I've check, first-line, remy, drivelink and one one else and none of them are right..

Ah right not going to be easy to get one then :mad: Think il ring chris first thing tues then and hope he has one in stock

Stevo16V
30-08-09, 10:43 PM
Cheers for all the info lads :thumb: