PDA

View Full Version : how to clean redtop tapets

turbo-boy
30-08-09, 07:36 PM
hello there i hav a few noisey tappets in my engine i read somewhere ages ago about how to clean them. can anyone shed some light on this for me plz?

philip
30-08-09, 07:38 PM
you can get the centres out of the tappets and wash through, but tend to damage them when getting them out. you could give it ago though and see what happens, otherwise new followers from sbd or autovaux, i think a set from autovaux are £154, but if do get new ones make sure there INA ones

Nobby
30-08-09, 07:58 PM
i used a forte top end treatment on mine and stopped it straight away imo when there worn there worn you cant wash them just replace them.

turbo-boy
30-08-09, 08:43 PM
is it not cause they block the oil way cause there all gunked up?there is prob 2 noisey tappet in it but they are loud makes me think there is no oil gettin to them?

Balley
30-08-09, 09:14 PM
use a decent flush has never not worked for me

turbo-boy
30-08-09, 09:23 PM
would save me taking them out will try that,for got to say its a xe turbo

GRUNT 16V
30-08-09, 09:37 PM
I Reconed Mine Back In 2003 All I Did Was To Remove The Centre Which Was Very Easy Without Damaging Them,then Just Got Some Wet Flat Paper Around Them Give Them A Rub And Reassemble Them Piece Of P155 Takes Ab Out 2 Hours Though

Benn
30-08-09, 10:18 PM
Funk me please dont use flush on te engine!

Take them out, tap then facing down on a bit of wood with a cloth over it, then center will come out and wont get damaged, submerge them in clean oil, push your finger in the hole and you see the old dirty oil spray out of the hole in the side, do it till clean, squeze the bit that comes out the center in the oil too, you'll see dirty oil come out when you can squeze it, then push the center back in still in the oil, then re fit. Did it on my let and they are perfect.

turbo-boy
30-08-09, 10:33 PM
think i will do that how long would it take prob a few hours

Benn
30-08-09, 10:38 PM
Yeah, cams out then say 5-10mins each.