PDA

View Full Version : DIY arch rolling?

twistysnovagte
30-08-09, 12:06 PM
Tips on the best way to roll/panelbeat my arch lip back just for future convenience,this will be on the front wings?
im thinking

http://www.contourautocraft.co.uk/images/Tools/planishing_hammer.gif
and a block of timber?

Also once the lip is back,im told it had to be filled smoothed and primed along with the rest of the wing?

whats your view's experience's?

stevie-p
30-08-09, 12:54 PM
We have always done it with the hammer and wood just have to be carefull the paint doesant crack up etc and you do them about the same either that or you can get those jack thinks im sure some have used in the project threads recently

CoolTiger
30-08-09, 01:04 PM
never done it myself, front wing might have to be cut in 1 or 2 places so it folds over easily, after its done pack it with seamsealer

Nobby
30-08-09, 01:38 PM
i always find that the hammer treatment ****s the paint up i used and air saw last time not cracks and nice and neat!

twistysnovagte
30-08-09, 02:07 PM
sorry guys i forgot to add that the work will be done on a new set of wings,so will be unpainted etc,
just dont want to be putting little dimples/dents in the panel!

CoolTiger
30-08-09, 02:29 PM
even hammer and block of wood could make it wavey might be worth a skim of filler around the edge later

craig green
30-08-09, 03:30 PM
As Cooltiger said at 1st. You will want to snip in to the lip in places so it folds up neater. I would deffo under seal it very well with seam sealer otherwise you are creating a moisture trap & it will rot. Bound to need a skim or 2 aswell after all the tapping..

Nobby
30-08-09, 03:39 PM
or do what i said and take it to a bodyshop and get them to cut the lip off not filling needed then! and nice and neat after just get some dcent paint inderseal on the fresh edges

Adam
30-08-09, 03:42 PM
I just cut the lips off my front wings with a grinder lol

twistysnovagte
30-08-09, 03:59 PM
I just cut the lips off my front wings with a grinder loli done exactly the same to my perfectly clean rear arche's, filled and sanded them and covevered them in underseal,now there bubbling:( :cry:

i suppose if i use the correct offset wheel(which ive a set sand blasted)then i should have no problems?
also i have a set of rsx spax to go on but told that they might rub against the wheel and that id have to use a spacer,this is why im refering to the arch mod!?:confused:

Hobbit
30-08-09, 04:38 PM
i always use two bits of wood and some mole grips :)

G-nova
30-08-09, 09:35 PM
you can get it done at a bodyshop or mobile arch roller that uses one of these tools so it dosent damage anything and no filler is required. You can also buy this tool for around £250 lol if your wanting to do it your self.
http://www.frost.co.uk/images/product_images/large/9108.jpg

Iain
30-08-09, 09:38 PM
You can also buy this tool for around £250 lol if your wanting to do it your self.

Or make one yourself! (http://clubgtinorfolk.com/downloads/howtos/archrollingtool/)

LEWI007
30-08-09, 09:41 PM
I didnt roll mine cos i think water will get stuck in and rust it.

instead i bet it back outand hacksawed it off, then straightened it out with a hammer and primered it, spot on.

so now my arches are just a thin sheet of metal

TIDGE
31-08-09, 12:18 AM
i just took the wing off laid it on a work bench an flatted the lips down with a lump hammer

G-nova
31-08-09, 12:39 AM
lol

auzzy-b
31-08-09, 05:11 PM
is there any need to roll them a full 90degrees? my brother did his he bent the lip up about 60degree,sealed behind then flared them slightly and they were fine, look better and much neater that way. suppose it depends how low your going and wether you can be a**ed..

Adam
31-08-09, 05:23 PM
Only problem with cutting the lips off is the wing becomes mega weak and would bend/dent easily