PDA

View Full Version : Is the GSI fuel pump an out of tank pump?

G-nova
29-08-09, 02:46 AM
I have put a GSI lump into an old carb shell and now need an out of tank pump, can i Fit a GSI pump or is there any other vauxhall out of tank pumps?
All info and advice appreciated thank you.

Jon_nova1
29-08-09, 08:54 AM
"taken from how to fit a 2 litre engine article"

1. Fuel
If you nova is a carb model, you need to install injection fuel lines, or at least think about how you are going to deal with the fueling of the 20XE. The fueling system for the 20XE requires two lines from the petrol tank, one supply, and one return. 1ltr novas do not have a return fuel line, and therefore you either need to braize a fitting into the petrol tank as a return, or you need to install a petrol tank with a return line in it.

The fuel pressure required for an injection engine is much higher than that required for a carb model, and the fuel hose used in the carb models should not be used to carry the high pressure fuel required for the injectors. As a get around, if you don't have time to install the injection fuel lines right down the car, you can mount the fuel pump in the engine bay. Now, as the pump sucks the petrol from the tank, this is not at pressure. Only the section after the pump, and before the regulator is high pressure. Bear in mind, this is NOT the ideal way of doing things as the pump is designed to be as close to the tank as possible. The return line can always be left as the std petrol line.

When using a carb tank, there is no swirl pot in the tank. The swirl pot holds a reserve of fuel if you like, and when you corner hard this reserve of fuel is still able to be put through the pump, even though the petrol in the tank is all being shoved out of the way of the supply line opening because of the cornering G.

So a swirl pot in a fuel injection tank is the best way forward.
The GTE / GSi / SRi fuel pumps are fine for the 20XE, as is of course a 20XE fuel pump. The Spi 1.4i (single injector) pump cannot flow enough fuel at a high enough pressure for the 20XE though, so you will need to replace this pump if it is the model you have

G-nova
29-08-09, 10:06 AM
i have a 1.2 carb tank can i fit a swirl pot and GSI pump or do i need a GSI tank and will it come with pump?

Mazz
29-08-09, 10:15 AM
GTE / GSi / SRi tanks all have the swirl pots built into them and use an external pump.

The pump is normally mounted behind the rear bumper on the drivers side (on a GTE/GSI anyway, not sure about the SRi)

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7448/dsc00073medium.jpg

Adam
29-08-09, 10:17 AM
Its same on a sri

Mazz
tar-dar!

G-nova
thanks mate im after a a GTE/GSI/SRI tank and GTE/GSI fuel pump if you know anybody with one.

Adam
29-08-09, 10:18 AM
Or you can use a SPi tank and MK3 astra MPI internal pump

Mazz
29-08-09, 10:19 AM
LeeH has a tank & pump for sale

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127823

G-nova
29-08-09, 10:20 AM
if i got a spi tank will it not come with pump?
would i beable to use an spi tank with a GTE/GSI external pump?

Lee H
29-08-09, 02:26 PM
if i got a spi tank will it not come with pump?
would i beable to use an spi tank with a GTE/GSI external pump?

It will come with an SPi pump which flows next to no fuel.

No point using an SPi tank with a GSi pump at all really.

Fow16v
02-09-09, 04:24 PM
can anyone help with a 1.6 conversion im doing to my carb nova at the moment. the shell is originally a 1.2 carb and ive just fitted a 1.6 16v, ive now come to the point where i need to sort the fuel out. ive got a few bits availible and was wondering what is the best route to go down.

With the fuel lines ive got no problems as im going to run 8mm copper from the bay back to tank for feed and return. I can either run these in the car or under the car which ever is best.

im not sure what route to go down the the tank, some bits ive got atm are
1.2 carb tank with feed and return points.
2.0 astra gsi fuel pump.
1.6 16v corsa fuel tank and pump
and also another corsa in tank pump

would i be best to get a gsi external pump and use the carb tank or would the lack of swirl pot cause problems? the car will be used on road and track.

should i get hold of a gsi tank and pump?

should i get a spi tank and use the astra pump? but this would mean cutting an inspection hole in the rear floor

or is there a way to fit the corsa stuff?

also is it ok to fit a gsi pump in the car along with an inline filter if i do go down that road?

any help with this will be much appreciated as it will be the main thing at the moment stopping me firing it up to check evey thing

cheers
Ryan

G-nova
02-09-09, 09:12 PM
i think nova GSI tank is best route like i am doing reason being fits straight on as it came from a nova.

craig green
02-09-09, 09:32 PM
Either way doesnt matter tbh. The fact of the matter is you need a Nova injection tank of SPi or MPi type & the pump to suit it, be it an external MPi pump for the Nova GSi/GTE tank or an MPi-intank pump for the SPi tank.

Fow16v
02-09-09, 09:39 PM
ok cheers lads, im picking up a gsi pump now on friday so just need to source a mpi tank. i can get it up and running on the carb tank for now tho if i go down the external pump route.