PDA

View Full Version : Water Leaking MAJORLY, no retention, OVERHEATING!!

Sid
03-03-03, 09:36 AM
I just bought a 1.2L F reg, its got a great lil engine 93k, with FSH, and MOT. I didnt look at it all that well as I am planning to do a 1.4 SR engine into it in the next month or so.

HOWEVER I NEED TO DRIVE THE 1.2 around now! d'oh

PROBLEM IS:
As soon as u put the water in the bottle, it goes through the pipe into the engine, and then leaks out the bottom ...from somewhere :?:

Its almost instantaneous!!!

What do u think the problem is, and how to fix it??

Cheers,
Sid

whitey
03-03-03, 09:53 AM
Leaky Radiator, loose pipe, hole in pipe!

Could be anu number of things! Just look where the water is coming from! It isnt going to be that hard to see!

Then come back and say and we will tell you what to do!

Sid
03-03-03, 10:22 AM
its not even getting as far as the radiator!
Its not the pipe, cos that is really short and goes into a metal pipe bit that is a part of the engine.
That then goes towards the back of the engine and underneath ...thats as far as I can see... then it drips down the back and trickles near where the sump is at bottom of engine. (so it leaks above that nr the back of the engine bay).

Aragorn
03-03-03, 11:24 AM
um it could be the water pump but thats over by the cam cover

another place could be the heater matrix hoses

get someone else to pour lots of water in and see where its coming from from underneath

then report back :D

bfuller
03-03-03, 11:31 AM
i have EXACTLY the same problem mate, even got the same car (1.2L)

check my post

http://www.novaload.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=70324

need a solution asap!!!!

cheers to anyone that can help

Sid
03-03-03, 11:43 AM
um it could be the water pump but thats over by the cam cover

That looks like the place where it is leaking from.

Bfuller, yep seems the same prob as u ...exhaust is slightly smokey too.
no crap in oil cap, and no water at all in water bottle.
Starts perfectly 1st time, then gets rattley as no damn water in it!!
The water that comes out starts to mist, as it is hot...

1. is it the water pump?? if so can I fix it,
2. or do I get another one?
3. Will my engine blow up if I keep driving it?????

Aragorn
03-03-03, 11:47 AM
if the water is pishing streight out tthe bottom and your driving it i'd be surprised u havent alredy fucked it

the engine wont run for long without water at which point the heat will warp the head, you lose compression and the engine will die

take the cam cover off and pour the water in - see if its coming outta the water pump (small drive cog on the bottom of the engine, slightly above and further back than the main crank)

bfuller
03-03-03, 12:02 PM
sid, if you look at where the exhaust manifold mounts to the block, underneath that, theres a few round holes in the block, thats where my water is coming out, im gonna take a few pics, just wondering if yours was coming from the same place!?!

Sid
03-03-03, 12:10 PM
can a complete novice do it??
( & I mean NOVICE!) using the Haynes? (as I have no idea what either crank or whatever looks like!)

Is it worth changing the cambelt too ...leave that to a pro, or have a go myself?

jim sri
03-03-03, 01:04 PM
do it yourself if you wana spend ? on this engine, or just do the 14 conversion sooner. cambelt is easy too, the haynes is quite self-explanatory and useful

Sid
03-03-03, 01:47 PM
I dont need to "DRAIN THE COOLING SYSTEM" do I ?
As there is no water in there anyway... so can I skip that part, or should I go through the motions anyway?

Just phoned the motor factors, there are 2 different types of waterpump & cambelt ...so I gotta take the old stuff off first and then go show them.
unless u can advise?
Waterpumps = ?14.55 & ?22.40
Cambelts = ?8 & ?11.70

Aragorn
03-03-03, 02:06 PM
hrm

tyhere are 2 slight variations with the cam belt

engines fter 1990 had auto adjusting tensioners

yours is an F plate so it wont be auto adjusting and the waterpump does the tensioning

u will prolly find the bolts rusted to f00k tho so make sure it is the pump before u start removing it

take the cam cover off and check it out - iu should see the 2 bottom pulleys see if water is leaking from there

Sid
03-03-03, 02:16 PM
Do I have to take the cambelt off first to get good access to the waterpump? ...just to CHECK if it is the waterpump that is the problem.

mikeoxford
03-03-03, 02:27 PM
erm, maybe not off completely, does need to be slack i think though so you can check the o ring seal on the pump

Sid
03-03-03, 03:10 PM
Haynes rates the difficulty factor 3 out of 5.
Fairly difficult, suitable for competent DIY mechanic.

mikeoxford
03-03-03, 03:16 PM
Haynes rates the difficulty factor 3 out of 5.
Fairly difficult, suitable for competent DIY mechanic.

so is that you!?

Sid
03-03-03, 05:06 PM
LMAO ...no!
well, u dont know until u try... lol

Chris LR
03-03-03, 05:19 PM
It isn't that hard, as long as you don't break anything you can leave it the the proper mechanics if u can't do it.

Aragorn
03-03-03, 06:22 PM
if the water is pouring streigt out then u should be able to see it leaking from the pump

if u remove the cam cover and get someoen to fill the tank and have a look u shouild see it pishing out the pump

if its not coming from the pump then its prolly fine and there is prolly another issue

Sid
04-03-03, 09:27 AM
Getting it towed to a garage tonight after work, then gonna do it myself there. They got space for me to use, and their tools.
Let u know how it goes ...my first fling under the bonnet!
:lol:

Sid
05-03-03, 12:10 PM
SORTED!
It was the waterpump!!!

Cost me ?26 for waterpump & timing belt.
I am now mobile again after a few good months!

Thanks lads.
SID

mikeoxford
05-03-03, 11:24 PM
Getting it towed to a garage tonight after work, then gonna do it myself there. They got space for me to use, and their tools.
Let u know how it goes ...my first fling under the bonnet!
:lol:
its alright for some!