PDA

View Full Version : Problems??

AW3K
02-03-03, 11:49 PM
Hi

Me again

Whats the best way to sort this little mess? Is it structual?

http://www.a-whiteman.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/car/bat_rust.jpg

And why does the top of my engine allways appear wet/oily?

http://www.a-whiteman.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/car/top.jpg

Thanks

AW3K

Chris LR
02-03-03, 11:56 PM
Battery tray will need welding for MOT

Oily look could be an oil leak around the rocker cover gasket.

AW3K
03-03-03, 12:01 AM
balls!!

How much would it cost to have it welded smoothed and painted? and where from?

AW3K

Chris LR
03-03-03, 12:06 AM
I've got a bear red oxide plate under my battery.

That was about 3 Years ago, cost me ?25ish but I know the guy at the garage.

AW3K
13-03-03, 08:09 PM
I took the batt under tray off today and had a clean round and found a hole so would it now be structual?

http://www.a-whiteman.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/car/rust.jpg

http://www.a-whiteman.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/car/rust2.jpg

Whats my options now?

Thanks

AW3K

mowgli
13-03-03, 08:26 PM
as the hole isn't very big, get a mate to blob some weld in it. then hammer it flat. then clean the rust off and smooth hammerite it. next job is to get rid of that cr*ppy battery and buy a delco freedom battery from your local dealer, they are very good and are sealed for life. the nova was designed with them in mind, and when you stick a "maintenance free" battery with removable tops on, every time you give it some round a corner, acid leaks out and rots the tray. the plastic tray insert does help a bit, but it just drains the acid onto the inner wing.

When you get it welded, place a wet rag on the inside of the car above the pedals, so that you don't set the soundproofing and loom on fire.

make the best job you can, I had a pair of shoes ruined on a long trip in the rain cos the acid leaked through.

mikeoxford
13-03-03, 09:17 PM
youve caught it in the early stages, clean up well, weld or FILL the hole if your dodgy - make sure you use some rust proofer before you paint

dry it all off,

then paint as said

Euan
13-03-03, 10:03 PM
how do you gain access to the inner wing i want to check if mine is rotting cus i'm getting the leaks but there are no visible holes in the battery tray although its very rusted.

from inside the car i can see that underside of the tray and where it meets the bulkhead (i think) is rusted but still cant find where the water is coming from. :twisted:

whitey
13-03-03, 10:20 PM
HMMm Ive just had a thought that i dont have a battery tray!?!? Cant ever remember seing one! THERE HAS GOTTA BE ONE THERE!!! Gonna have to look in a min! :o

mikeoxford
13-03-03, 10:23 PM
HMMm Ive just had a thought that i dont have a battery tray!?!? Cant ever remember seing one! THERE HAS GOTTA BE ONE THERE!!! Gonna have to look in a min! :o

chances are you wont have

cos new batteries dont fit and your car must have had a new batt at some point and they allways get left out

mikeoxford
13-03-03, 10:23 PM
how do you gain access to the inner wing i want to check if mine is rotting cus i'm getting the leaks but there are no visible holes in the battery tray although its very rusted.

from inside the car i can see that underside of the tray and where it meets the bulkhead (i think) is rusted but still cant find where the water is coming from. :twisted:
take the exterior wing off

ade
13-03-03, 11:54 PM
hole in battery tray can be easily fixed with fibreglass - not big enuff to bother with welding. Fibreglass strong enuff. Just make sure you clean ALL rust off 1st

As for leaks from the inner wing you'll prpob find that the access hole where the wires for the indicators gromet is missing or hascome out. Rain water etc will just run into the hole and into the cockpit making carpet wet!

See haynes for removing wing - need to remove bumper 1st though

Make sure you reseal with mastic (the wing that is) - you'll see where the old mastioc was whern you remove it.

Ade

AW3K
14-03-03, 02:37 PM
Have been quoted up to ?40 at varios places just to have a plate welded over and rust removed.

But at one place i was told to leave it till the MOT as it might not fail or if it does to get any other welding done at the same time etc etc....

Dunno what to do. it's sealed up with mastic now and the mot isn't till may!

Thanks

AW3K

whitey
14-03-03, 04:02 PM
Well if you plan to only keep the car for a short time then dont bother, but if it is longterm then DO! It will only get worse!