PDA

View Full Version : Suspension knocking

NovaBoi92
28-08-09, 11:17 AM
i dont know if anybody remembers my thread on here a little while ago about when i turn a corner, the o/s strut makes a big knocking sound. I brought another suspension strut, it seemed fine for a few days then it started knocking again. The other day i swapped the o/s and n/s struts thinking that it will knock on the n/s now. but it still knocks on the same side, so im thinking that its something to do with the actual o/s part of the car. Any ideas people? Its just a thought, but could the wheel alignment have something to do with it? my tracking IS out, but what about if, on the o/s wheel it is toeing out too much or in, and putting too much strain on the suspension strut when i turn? like its trying to pull it out? just a theory! lol

General Baxter
28-08-09, 11:32 AM
have you checked your bushes?

NovaBoi92
28-08-09, 11:33 AM
i dont think it is bushes, because the one that WAS knocking on the o/s isnt knockingn now its on the other side. but the side that WASNT knocking now is. So dont think its bushes.

General Baxter
28-08-09, 11:34 AM
just check them, you have movement somewhere,

have you checked your crossmemebers not a gonna ?

NovaBoi92
28-08-09, 11:36 AM
crossmember is fine. although the bottom arm bushes could do with replacing. Thats not causing the knock though, ive heard it distinctly coming from the top of the strut.

General Baxter
28-08-09, 11:37 AM
theres a few bushes up there aswell ;)

is the main nut on the strut done up fully?

NovaBoi92
28-08-09, 11:39 AM
yep it is, but i just dont understand how it can still knock on the same side when its been changed over. about what i was saying, could the wheel alignment have anything to do with it?

L14MNP
28-08-09, 11:39 AM
There's a pair of mole grips clamped to your spring. lol

My monies are on worn bushes too. Get a bar in and check them.

NovaBoi92
28-08-09, 11:41 AM
There's a pair of mole grips clamped to your spring. lol

My monies are on worn bushes too. Get a bar in and check them.

hmm thats where i left them. was looking for them last night lol

Southie
28-08-09, 11:49 AM
Mine have just started doing this also, nut it's because I'm running solid strut tops. lol

Have you got new shockers on or are they old. Maybe try swapping them around and see if it still does it.

Also double check your bushes and arb (if you have one) :thumb:

vaughanmc
28-08-09, 11:52 AM
Mines was also knocking at the front after I put a front strut brace on - Went round all the nuts that go through the brace and some of them were tight but not tight enough

There all tight now...Hopefully the wee clunk goes away

NovaBoi92
28-08-09, 11:53 AM
Mine have just started doing this also, nut it's because I'm running solid strut tops. lol

Have you got new shockers on or are they old. Maybe try swapping them around and see if it still does it.

Also double check your bushes and arb (if you have one) :thumb:

standard shocks, i did try swapping them over but still get the knocking on the same side

craig green
28-08-09, 02:28 PM
Sounds like top mounts to me.