PDA

View Full Version : Fan overide switch

novalicous
28-08-09, 12:06 AM
ive been thinking about fitting a switch to the fan on my nova

i know that if you take the plug out of the side in the rad and join them together it kicks the fan in but how would i go about fitting a switch?

diagrams and explanations welcome :thumb:

brainsnova
28-08-09, 12:10 AM
extend the wires on the temperature switch and fit a dash mounted switch :thumb: simples. tap into them leaving the original wires still connected then the fan will still kick in as usaul.

novalicous
28-08-09, 12:11 AM
ill openly admit im crap with electrics :roll:

any chance of a paint diagram lol

brainsnova
28-08-09, 12:14 AM
your taking the piss lol

novalicous
28-08-09, 12:18 AM
ill have a go tomorrow if all goes tits up ill blame you lol

only joking bud should be able to sort it

draper
28-08-09, 12:35 AM
Bring some wire and a switch and ill fit you one on sunday

novalicous
28-08-09, 12:41 AM
Bring some wire and a switch and ill fit you one on sunday

sorted :thumb:

Benn
28-08-09, 08:08 AM
Does it over heat? If no leave it alone. If it does, fix the prob.

Jack
28-08-09, 08:14 AM
Was about to say, why do you want to is the first question. Unless you have a V6 (my fan is wired to ignition on lol) the standard setup should keep things suitably cool.

Wiring a switch into the existing cable will simply allow you to turn the fan OFF rather than ON. Is that what you're after? i.e. its running too cold...

Assuming that you want to be able to turn the fan on at any time, the best option would be to tap in a permanent (or from switched ignition would be better) live supply to that feed, on a switch. Then you can turn the fan on whenever you want to but if you forget - which you will - the thermostat will still activate the fan if things get warm.

AlexW
28-08-09, 08:17 AM
Jack thats wrong lol, the two wires off the rad switch on the side of the rad, bridge them anytime you like and it will cut the fan in. My car has been like this for ages. And the plug is still plugged into the switch

Jack
28-08-09, 08:20 AM
Ahh, the fan switch is an earth switch then

mowgli
28-08-09, 10:50 AM
Ahh, the fan switch is an earth switch then

it is an on off thermo switch.....

Spudly
28-08-09, 02:33 PM
Ive fitted one to mine as novas cooling systems are shoite lol

Tap into the brown/white wire (iirc) and run it to earth with a switch in the feed, press the switch and circuit is made (they run live with ignition and switch to earth to cut fan in) this way no fuses are needed and its a five min job, ive cut a second fog light switch into my dash next to the original fog switch, ill swap it for a cav air-con switch as it has a kind of cooling symbol on it (when i find one lol)

draper
28-08-09, 02:34 PM
^^ hasnt that shonky cav breaker you own got one in spud :p

Spudly
28-08-09, 02:39 PM
^^ hasnt that shonky cav breaker you own got one in spud :p

The cheek of you, she is a pov model, hance no air-con, no abs, just true old skool driving experience lol

mayhem
28-08-09, 05:40 PM
why would you want what... i just fitted a different fanswitch.. fan starts at 92 degrees instead of 105 degrees

Benn
28-08-09, 08:17 PM
Ive fitted one to mine as novas cooling systems are shoite lol

How so? Mines a std rad, with std fan switch and all, just with 2 7inch fans and its fine. Even when sitting in traffic.

I think you lot just worry to much.

Does the gauge get to half way then the fan come on? If so its happy.

AlexW
28-08-09, 09:19 PM
A 50p switch is cheaper than the different type of rad switch, tbh mine gets left on most off the time.

Spudly
29-08-09, 01:24 AM
How so? Mines a std rad, with std fan switch and all, just with 2 7inch fans and its fine. Even when sitting in traffic.

Ive had a 1.2 carb spit a pipe on tickover between quarter and half and my old xe used to pop pipes for fun at less than quarter so ive always been nervous with them, so if im sat stationary i can bung my fan on and cool her before she gets hot now, perfect for the saturday ques into pvs lol

Benn
29-08-09, 08:08 AM
Not to be rude, but did you not think about fixing the prob? If its popping pipes there a block/pressure build up some where.

I'm the same, i'll sit and water the gauge a bit nervously, but i know the fan comes on and works so theres no need for it to be switched.

Mazz
29-08-09, 08:38 AM
When running mine never gets over 1/4, unless its stood in traffic, then the fan kicks in at 1/2 - as Benn said, if its not broke > don't fix it - unless it is > then fix it! lol

Spudly
29-08-09, 08:52 AM
I think my old XE just had poo pipes, and my 1.2 had a gasket that was halfway out of the door so its just a precaution on my current one, the fan switch cuts in exactly when it should at half id just rather keep the temp down, my thinking comes from hondas, they have a fan switch that keeps the engine temp at a set level, once it goes over it cuts in and keeps it there, whereas normal ones wait till it gets a bit high then brings it back down, i just wanna keep it down is all lol

mayhem
29-08-09, 11:42 AM

the gauge sucks tbh.. i had mine on the dyno hooked to the Tech1.. and the gauge was halfway and tech1 said 103 degrees... and no fan kicking in.

diffenerent fan switch is a tenner..

Benn
29-08-09, 01:37 PM
Half way is about 100 tho, so its right.