PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Problems? XE help needed :(

ST-eater
27-08-09, 08:51 PM
HI, ive fitted an XE engine into a fiat, and trying to get it running,

I have spark, air and fuel (although too much fuel)...

The engine floods, and it refuses to start, unless i turn the pump off (via an immob key switch).. Which it will then fire up, idles well although starts to increase with revs... Then if i turn the key (which turns the pump on) it idles extremly rough.

The pump comes on when the key comes back from the crank position, and stays running constantly.

Ive checked the pin at the fuel pump relay, and there is a constant 12v on the fuel pump pin..

I was under the impression that the fuel pump should turn on, prime, then turn off...

(does this prime normally happen when you turn the key to the second igniton click, rather than when returning to click 2 from position 3?.. and should it stay on continuously)

The relay has been wired as so... (can this be confirmed as correct?)

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/other-mechanical-electrical/401353-fuel-pump-twin-relay-conversion.html

Any help would be extremly appreciated as i need the car running for trax.. Cheers

(Running an early XE, FP ecu, 3.0 bar injectors + Rail, and 2.5 V6 vectra fuel pump)

Also a stupid one, but is the thin black wire from the loom (the switched 12v) supposed to be connected to the cranking ignition position (3) or postion (2) with all the rest of the electrical stuff...

Its confusing as its not in a vaux car, so hope someone could shed some light.

General Baxter
27-08-09, 08:52 PM
am i right in saying, they dont prime untill you start cranking ?

i really cant beleave your having so much both, match the vauxhall engine loom colours, to the colours of the fiats car loom,

your local right ?

let_nova
27-08-09, 08:53 PM
is the FPR working?? the pupm should always be running when the cars running.

ST-eater
27-08-09, 09:42 PM
am i right in saying, they dont prime untill you start cranking ?

i really cant beleave your having so much both, match the vauxhall engine loom colours, to the colours of the fiats car loom,

your local right ?

Im just off the a47, just past hinckley.

I would match the colours over, but i need to know which ignition click the nova wiring would be to control the XE in a nova. Then i can translate it over to the fiat wiring...

Think its supposed to be on the ignition click that controls all the electrics on click 2, but after a search online im getting different answers....

Its a nighmare as nobody local has a clue about these engines haha.

ST-eater
27-08-09, 09:51 PM
The black wire looks to be connected fine, and if the pump only comes on after priming then that seems correct too.

So it kind of only leaves the injector rail, injectors, and return line to cause problems...

Is there any way of testing if an injector is stuck open?

As it seems as if something is dumping fuel into the engine when it shouldnt be...

let_nova
27-08-09, 09:53 PM
FPR working correctly?? all vacuum pipes on correctly??

ST-eater
27-08-09, 10:02 PM

All the vacuum pipes are present and correct.

The fuel relay clicks on and off (and apparently working fine)...

Not sure on the fuel pressure rail/regulator (is there any way to test?)

ST-eater
27-08-09, 10:03 PM

Ooh but the fuel pump does run constant after cranking, to answer your previous question :)

let_nova
27-08-09, 10:06 PM
not sure if you can test a FPR but its not a hard job to change for another know working item if you have access to one.

ST-eater
27-08-09, 10:11 PM
Il see if i can get hold of one.. Gutted as i have just sold one :(

let_nova
27-08-09, 10:16 PM
gutter lol anyhow i pick you up a dash tommorow.... hopefully.

ST-eater
28-08-09, 04:10 AM
gutter lol anyhow i pick you up a dash tommorow.... hopefully.

happy day's... cheers :D

ST-eater
28-08-09, 12:58 PM
Cheers all for the help... turns out the MAF sensor was fitted with the flow going the wrong way... The car idles and revs fine... just a few more things to do before i can take her out for a spin :D