PDA

View Full Version : Door pin switches sticking

AW3K
02-03-03, 02:06 PM
Hi

When i open my doors dosn't matter which side the interior light dosn't come on.

It will come on however if i push the pin right in and let it out with the force of the spring.

Whats causing it and how do i remidy it?

How much are the switches new?

Thanks

AW3K

ade
02-03-03, 02:59 PM
Sounds like youve got a bad earth. The switrch (as you know) it on the hinge side of the door - it lights up when the pin opens making contact with the frame (connecting to earth).

If you have to ping it like a spring to get it to comne on it sounds like its either fouling on something or the springs knacked. Simply unscrew it and remove it - the wires v short so uyou may have to take the trim off on the inside on the footwell area (plastic trim on the side by accelerator pedal - hides compartment - remove foam and you'll feel switch spade connector).

To get trim off though you;ll have to remove shelf and sill trim -= just unscrew and pull off.

you can get new switches from Vauxhall - about ?3-?5 (I think) or just clean the crap off the existing one

Ade

mikeoxford
02-03-03, 09:40 PM
ive got a pair if you wanna pay postage ill mail them on.

could either be a bad earth, or the switch itself not having a decent enough contact inside.......

this happened on my car and set the alarm off on a few occasions as it thought the doors were open when infact they werent

AW3K
02-03-03, 10:07 PM
That would be great. are they clean, i.e not corroded like the back of mine when i looked earlyer? all this white stuff on them.

If you can email me your address and how much you want for them i'll send you the money/ cheque.

About the earth. where to i look about this?

Thanks

AW3K

mikeoxford
02-03-03, 10:11 PM
the idea of the switch IS to provide an earth, so in other words make sure the screw holding them in is making good contact.

EMAIL me or come on MSN as my PM box is pretty much flooded.

also check the connector on the back ok

yes the pair i have are virtualy brand new.

AW3K
02-03-03, 10:14 PM
Added you to my msn but u r off line

Andrew.