PDA

View Full Version : car wont start, please please help if you can

Steve0011
26-08-09, 12:13 AM
heres the story so far :)

the car was running ok but had a bottom end issue so i fitted a new crank, shells and bearings also fitted new oil pump while i was at it.

the only other things done was another spare throttle body that was cleaned with carb cleaner and i fitted a new fuel filter

now the car wont start :confused:

i have a good spark and fuel is ok but when i turn the key the engine runs for about 3 seconds then dies, leave it for 10 minutes and the same again runs for a few seconds and dies

can someone help? please :thumb:

steve BTW the engine is c14se with dizzy not coilpacks

nova_saloon
26-08-09, 12:31 AM
the timing all correctly done, throttle position sensor connected or setup properly, bled the fuel rail if it has a bleeding point, gasket on the throttle body correctly placed and not over tightened? fitted the idle control valve pipe back or incorrectly plugged, could be a number of things

Steve0011
26-08-09, 12:38 AM
i will double check the above tomorrow.

2 things you have mensioned, the gasket is ok but i used the slightest smear of gasket sealer and bleeding the fuel rail is something i have'nt thought of, its the little nipple under the plastic cap right?

nova_saloon
26-08-09, 12:45 AM
yeh the nipple inder the plastic cap, shouldnt of needed to use gaskey paste but it shouldnt hurt, if you have over tightened it may of squished some of it into the manifold and gone into the block but it shouldnt do to much damage, i know it sounds stupid but have you checked the level of fuel in the tank? also check the gaps on the plugs are the right size, check the fuel filter is the right way round, and is a proper injection one, injectors blocked or the fuel tank is slightly blocked, could be the coil or distributor, or rotar arm, or one of the sensors are playing about

Steve0011
26-08-09, 12:59 AM
it really was a minute amount of sealer BTW

i put 5 litres of fuel in day before yesterday there should be 4.9999 litres left as the car not run for more than a few seconds

plugs are new and i cleaned/checked them today the spark is very healthy

i was going nuts before because i did check the arrow on the filter just in case i had a blonde moment ;) it is a symtec motorsport inj filter the pump is also new (well has run the car for a couple of hours)

i have a set of spare injectors so i could swap them

the coil and amp module are less than 500 miles old

the only things that were not on the car before the bottom end was done is the throttle body and the filter everthing else is the same

dont you just love cars :D

nova_saloon
26-08-09, 10:10 PM
no there a pain in the ****, but when you did the timing did you make sure that when you turned the engine over with a long bar that it was still in time once you have finished because sometimes they can go out. when you replaced the crank did you oil it up all properly and the bearings were all good, and ypou checked all the sensors and all wires, might be able to see if the ecu reads any faults, other than that you might need to take it to a garage!

let_nova
26-08-09, 10:16 PM
you checked all vacuum hoses on the t body? strong current to feul pump, does it have a AFM>?

Steve0011
26-08-09, 10:40 PM
Timed up ok marks on the crank and cam then 2 full turns on the crank and everything ends up back were it should be.

crank was brand new as was shells, bearings and new ARP con rod bolt all oiled up

when everything was back together i turned the engine over for about 30 seconds with the fuel pump relay removed so as to circulate some oil around the engine before sparking it up.

maybe this has created the problem? i dont know, but everything worked just fine before the bottom end work

im am begining to think its a problem with the fuel delivery as i have a nice strong spark. the fuel pump does prime when the ingnition is turned on the priming being enough fuel to run it for a couple seconds. this is were i will look first possibly tomorrow or friday evening

i will let you know when i track it down :)

steve

Steve0011
02-09-09, 10:47 PM
STILL HAVING THE SAME ISSUE http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif

its so bad now that my mate is bringing the diag machine from work tomorrow, any more ideas in the meantime?

Help! http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Jon_nova1
06-09-09, 02:58 AM
check the hoses to the air box/filter and make sure the filter/box is bolted on properly as engines will rev on startup then go to idle, which may be where your problem is

otherwise check the idle is ok (idle control valve) as you've fitted a new throttle body

AlanH
06-09-09, 09:01 AM
sounds like fuel starvation to me, had a few cars do that due to blocked filters etc. have you tried removing the filter and running without one? (yes i know its new but could be faulty, i've heard of stranger things) other than that what jon said, also try the old TB etc. just a process of elimination, pain in the a*se though and frustrating when it ran before the rebuild.

Damo
06-09-09, 10:53 AM
as alan says try running without a filter try to get it running by squirting carb cleaner straight into the inlet wilst cranking if ti fires and runs while squirting then you know it defo a fuel issue.