Tazzy
02-03-03, 12:40 AM
How do you relocate the fuel cap?

like so?

http://www.rjautomotive.co.uk/bluenova_4.jpg

cheerz!

Fester
02-03-03, 02:01 AM
if you get underneath and have a look theres not much more than a big rubber hose connecting the current filler cap to the tank, suppose its a case of finding somewhere for the filler, locating it, then getting a new connecting hose made. easier said than done :)

?Marty?
02-03-03, 03:58 AM
What's the point?

It just makes it a pain in the arse to fill up. If you want the 'clean no filler cap' look, just look at the car from the other side.

And you just KNOW that if the filler cape already came in that place, you'd be wanting to 'move it' back to the side of the car.

But yea, fit a new filler cap wherever there's space, attach the fuel pipe and flush the hole on the side, to relocate it.

ade
02-03-03, 12:34 PM
youve also got to think of the safety aspect. RJ's looks good and is concealed but to fill up the car they have to open the door and everytime theyve filled up the car you gotta wonder how much fuel gets spilled on the sills, interior trim etc. Car must stink to hell from petrol (although I quite like that smell!)

IMO its in the best place now. The only other 1/2 decent place you could stick it is on the roof but that wuld be weird and if aint done properly water/rain will get in ansd shag the contents of the tank.engine.

Aswell as that you need to make it safe (see max poiwer about 2 months ago some bloke in an orange pug205 stuck a fuel filler on the roof - he was from France though!) :roll:

Tazzy
02-03-03, 01:32 PM
as i live in sunny brumingham, i dont trust the ppl round here! lol, maybe thats being harsh, but still, i think the mod looks really good, and wont get petrol inside the car if you are really careful!

i want the same job as what is in that pic, i would like to go for the euro look, smoothened bumpers, de-locked, de-badged, etc!

is it just a matter of twisting the hose round to sit fluch on the panel?

but what do you use to actually connect it to the panel and the locking fule cap cover to the panel as well, and get it as fluch as what is in the pic?

cheerz!

ade
02-03-03, 03:12 PM
I think they cut the panel and remove the actual fitting area, then modded it to fit into the pillar - then relocated the hose by either twisting it or fashioning a new one. Then filled the gap by welding a plate over it and smoothing into the body.

Either way it'll require a bit of welding I'd think

And unless you know what youre doing - welding gear + petrol, I'd leave well alone or get a pro to do it unless youre v confident. It only takes a small spark. I;d take the tank off after draining it to be very sure of safety etc!.

Then again thats just me being cynical/paranoid!

If youre worried about someone messing with yer fuel cap, get a different one. Summut flush with the bodywork (sports cap etc)

Tazzy
02-03-03, 03:38 PM
as my brother is an ex mechanic, he has a welder, but i wouldnt trust him with a plastic cup, never mind my baby! lol

i think id prefer the car to a garage, just hoping theyd takw the tank off, i want to go for a euro look, so flush and smoothen everything in sight really!

the welding up the old hole seems easier enough as does making a new hole in the piller, but its fixing it to the door slam which gets me, and making the cap cover flush so it doesnt catch on the door!

matg
02-03-03, 03:51 PM
youve also got to think of the safety aspect. RJ's looks good and is concealed but to fill up the car they have to open the door and everytime theyve filled up the car you gotta wonder how much fuel gets spilled on the sills, interior trim etc. Car must stink to hell from petrol (although I quite like that smell!)

You dont ever smell petrol in the car and it doesnt go over the interior at all.

The thing is do you let petrol splatter all over your car when its in its normal location?? Well you certainly dont if you have a one of paint job. Moving the petrol cap on Marks car took loads of work apparently, and was a pain to get it right. As some of you have said i think the hardest part of it for RJ was to get it to sit flush.

You could always do what i did to mine and put it behind the rear light. Its quite easy on a nova compareed to my astra.

The only thing that does bother me is the saftey thing, as in security. Before i moved mine i always locked the car whilst filling up (I live in Brum too) but you can not do that if the filler is hidden in the car somewhere.

I have not got any handles as well so it looks better not to have it.

Tazzy
02-03-03, 03:56 PM
http://www.rjautomotive.co.uk/fuel_pic.jpg

like this?

matg
02-03-03, 04:03 PM
yep thats my car.

Tazzy
02-03-03, 05:00 PM
kewl, was it hard work?

i dont know of any places in brumingham that cold do it for me, how much does it usually cost?

matg
02-03-03, 05:53 PM
mine was a lot of hard work, but mainly down to the design of the astra. It may be a little easier on a nova.

Give RJ Automotive call, they are in Wallsal, very close to brum.

Chris LR
02-03-03, 07:03 PM
*Walsall

Why not just have it in the boot? You could place some metal around it in kind of a funnel so it would be safer if you spill any.

I can't see the point it, Like Marty said go and stand round the other side of your car.

matg
02-03-03, 07:08 PM
each to there own really aint it!!

Chris LR
02-03-03, 07:09 PM
It is...

mikeoxford
02-03-03, 10:24 PM
*Walsall

Why not just have it in the boot? You could place some metal around it in kind of a funnel so it would be safer if you spill any.

was a red / maroon / metallic red :? astra in total vauxhall a couple of months back

EXACTLY like this

ill scan the pages

Chris LR
02-03-03, 10:30 PM
Well I didn't see it. It's got to be the best ways of doing it tho?

Another thing to be careful of tho, petrol fumes will get into your car, if you smoke, you better give up.

Tazzy
02-03-03, 11:52 PM
lol, well i dont spoke, and i wont even have eating or drinking in the car! and no pets!

i want it for as well as safty and to look good, ill fone RJA tomoz as i want to enquire about their front bumper as well!

Chris LR
03-03-03, 12:02 AM
You can do wtf you like the the Landy, it's that sort of car, I don't let anyone smoke in the SR.

Fester
03-03-03, 12:57 AM
can i drop my keks and lay a whipper in the landy?

?Marty?
03-03-03, 01:50 AM
Just fit an alloy fuel cell in the spare wheel well.

Saves weight, looks cool inside, AND you get to 'remove' the fuel cap from the side of the car.

I don't like having it in the door pillar anyway. My mate had it on his golf and it was a right pain in the ass to fill up. You have to have the door wide open and etc.

Tazzy
03-03-03, 02:18 PM
opening the door, i can cope with, flushing the panel, i can deal with, but getting the cap to dit flush, i have no ideas how im gonna do it, ill have to fone RJA to see if they can do it, they are at walsall, perfect!

just wondering what the insurance will say about it, its more for security for me than as a mod, but those f*ckers aint gonna see it that way!

mikeoxford
03-03-03, 02:42 PM
im at college now so dont have brett warbuttons email to hand, but any ides where he got the chrome fuel cell from?

i MAY :oops: go down the weight removal route having spoke to a few at MK

Chris LR
03-03-03, 04:09 PM
can i drop my keks and lay a whipper in the landy?

When u get mud splattered on the hot exhaust, you get that kind of smell.

There's a big enough hole in the back for to sit over, So I suppose you could.

?Marty?
03-03-03, 10:44 PM
You can get threm through Demon tweeks and etc. But cost around a grand.

ade
04-03-03, 12:52 AM
I'd be surpirsed if relocating the filler cap will hike yer insurance?

I think the only thing you may be asked to supply is an engineers report to make sure it aint leaking fuel all over the place.

Cant see how it will enhance the performance of the car (make it a bit more aerodynamic on the one side?)

Ade

mikeoxford
04-03-03, 07:44 PM
Cant see how it will enhance the performance of the car (make it a bit more aerodynamic on the one side?)

:lol:

it wont affect your insurance, UNLESS your with a really stirct company, where a modification IS a modification and ur expected to pay