PDA

View Full Version : twin 40s, fuel supply

comptoncj
25-08-09, 07:24 PM
Just wondering what kind of fuel pump people use on a nova running 40s, im using the standard cam driven pump at the moment what sort of money is a decent electric pump? :)

AlexW
25-08-09, 07:31 PM
Most run the standard cam pump. There are uprated versions out there though.

Stuart
25-08-09, 07:40 PM
facet red top is common. change from £100 will see you setup with one.

I trust you have a regulator between the cam drive and carbs (btw Jim ran his engine on the std pump)

Southie
25-08-09, 07:43 PM
Even though my sr was running bike carbs I used to run the standard pump, also with a filter king fpr.

comptoncj
25-08-09, 07:48 PM
ok i will probs go with a facet, ive got a weber fuel regulator to use, it runs ok with the standard pump but i think its working it too hard

chimp007_uk
25-08-09, 08:02 PM
I have a facet solid state pump but on the c20xe i don't think it's got a high enough flow rate at top rpm so going to look at silver top pumps.

Stuart
25-08-09, 08:32 PM
ok i will probs go with a facet, ive got a weber fuel regulator to use, it runs ok with the standard pump but i think its working it too hard

and why/how do you think that?

chimp007_uk
25-08-09, 08:39 PM
It'll only pump so much... How can you over work a wechanical pump, it pumps as fast as the engine goes. The only problem you'd ever have is supplying enough fuel and fuel pressure.

Nick
25-08-09, 08:41 PM
The standard lobe driven mech pump is fine... If the engine is fairly standard it'l be fine without a FPR/

If you've got other modifications then i'd suggest running a Electric fuel pump with a pressure regulator. The Silvertop Facet pump will do the job, think they're rated to 160hp.

They're push/pull and contrary to popular belief you can mount it in the back by the tank or in the engine bay. Engine bay is probably easier, just need to aquite some additional hose/braided stuff .

Stuart
25-08-09, 08:49 PM
the red top pumps flow more than enough for 150bhp on dans old 1.6

the std pump is fine for 150bhp as on jims old 1.6 (supplys 7psi, the carbs need 3)

My only concern with the mech pump is at high rpm (read that as WAY over 7500) it might start skipping

Royston
25-08-09, 08:56 PM
My Sport runs a standard mechanical fuel pump with a fuel pressure regulator running 103hp with no problems.

comptoncj
25-08-09, 09:49 PM
and why/how do you think that?

i think it because sometimes when i floor it after ive been at a constant speed it coughs n splutters and then all of a sudden goes like a rocket, a couple of chaps have said its probs that because the pump is struggling to keep up with the fuel thats needed,

Stuart
25-08-09, 10:22 PM
hmmm possibly the accel pump/jet isnt right.

had it on the rollers for a full setup at somewhere good?

comptoncj
26-08-09, 07:08 PM
no i havnt yet, im going to when its next on the road as ive taken it off to do a bit of tidying, i think a pump is on the shopping list for next month, could be a jet issue, had a bit of trouble getting hold of some of the jets, im running 28mm chokes and 110 mains, cant remember the others i think it needs more juice but il find out when it goes on the rollers

Stuart
26-08-09, 07:33 PM
then leave it alone for now imho. No point spending best part of a ton on a pump when that money would be far far far better spent on getting it setup (and of course money on chokes/jets etc). If of course it needs the pump then, then so be it.

Where did you have in mind for getting it setup?

comptoncj
26-08-09, 08:10 PM
the place you suggested to me pete baldwins, my dad to his mexico there so i think il go there at some point

Stuart
26-08-09, 08:14 PM
:d good good