PDA

View Full Version : ported and polish head

Danny s-p
25-08-09, 06:31 PM
mate has 1.4 head ported and polish and skimed he used it in hot rod racen and now it up for sale he pay £200 to get the work done to it and told me to make a ofer for it as i wont to run my 4 branch whith it but dont no how much it relly worth or how much i shud ofer an idears please:thumb:

George g
25-08-09, 07:58 PM
need to breathe!!!! NEED TO BREA... *thud*

seriously though, can you please put some punctuation in so i can understand?

chimp007_uk
25-08-09, 08:01 PM
£200 isn't alot to port and polish and skim a head. I'd ask for the flow figures to be sure it was done well.

how much does a recon head cost? and go from there.

philip
25-08-09, 09:44 PM
get some pics up.

ive seen some ported heads that have been shocking.

tbh i think i charge less to do an 8v head. but differant for me as ive got no overheads as such to warrent hike in prices! lol

chimp007_uk
25-08-09, 10:16 PM
get some pics up.

ive seen some ported heads that have been shocking.

tbh i think i charge less to do an 8v head. but differant for me as ive got no overheads as such to warrent hike in prices! lol

What sort of flow figures do you get from a 8v head? guessing you mainly work the exhaust ports?

Stuart
25-08-09, 10:47 PM
you can pick up a fair bit on the inlet, esp if you ramp port it (fill in the lower section of the inlet port so the gas speed goes up without losing that lovely curve.

I had the flow figures for a std 1.2 head, but I fear they are long gone a few hard drives ago :(

chimp007_uk
25-08-09, 10:55 PM
I was looking for figures i had from uni for the 1.6 head i ported.

Don't get me wrong, the inlet needs work and can gain alot, but the exhaust is always the lowest and for optimum flow needs to be X% of the inlet.

Did you ever get your 1.2 machine finished and running for you scrapped it?

Stuart
25-08-09, 11:01 PM
scrapped it lol.

the exhaust is always hard to gain on with the 8v's as its such a stupid design to begin with.

basically the 8V head is Very similar to the Ford 8V head of the time and we got the best inlets and they got the best exhausts (Think the heads were both designed by the same company lol)