PDA

View Full Version : removing spi tank

boyle_46
25-08-09, 04:01 PM
Hi guys was wondering if you could give me some info on how to remove the feul tank from my 1.2 spi thanks .

AlexW
25-08-09, 05:16 PM
Read the haynes, When i done mine i just unclipped the filler pipe, lowerd the tank a bit and then undone the other connections and yanked it out.

Guderian
25-08-09, 05:27 PM
Yeah but can you get it out with the exhaust in place? i seriously doubt it! correct me if i'm wrong.

Check there's minimal fuel in tank.

The two tank retaining straps are held up by 13mm nuts. (replace them with new nylocs i suggest)

Two vent hoses are at the top right of the tank (1 small 1 large) i don't think the small one has to be removed as it is clipped to the tank and simply is an air vent.. The larger 11-12mm ID one is best disconnected inside the wheelarch.

The hose clips retaining the short fat filler hose will be rusted to hell....but even if you have to cut the hose away you should be able to get a length off the shelf.

Lift up the rear seat bum cushion to access the circular hatch to the fuel pump and it's wiring loom/connectors,

Underneath the car there is also the connector for the guage sender, on the back of the tank.

The handbrake cables might have to be pulled aside to drop the tank.

Leeboo
25-08-09, 08:43 PM
Middle section of exhaust off iirc.

Then my only advice is, start taking the tank out, and just disconnect anything that stops it dropping. Most notably, fuel pump wires under seat, filler pipe fat short rubber setion of hose that goes from fuel filler to tank. Then theres obviously the fuel line under car going from tank to engine. Also a breather pipe on same side as fuel filler, this goes to top side of tank.

Oh and disconnect the sender. Sounds like a lot more hassle than it actually is, doesn't take long ripping a tank out.