PDA

View Full Version : corsa gsi engine tapping when starting up

callumdoubleu
25-08-09, 11:28 AM
when startin the engine it makes a tapping nosie this then stops after a few secs can someone tell me if this is anything to worry about

Welsh Dan
25-08-09, 11:31 AM
When was the oil last changed? What oil is in it?

callumdoubleu
25-08-09, 11:46 AM
I dont no as its not myn but im planning on buyin

BIGS
25-08-09, 11:53 AM
Mine starts tapping for a few seconds before the oil gets to the lifters. If its more then that i wouldnt touch it. but if it really is just 2 - 3 seconds its ok. But have a check on the oil level aswell. If its low you want to ask how long since they topped it up. as you dont want to buy a engine thats been running dry! And also ask about if it smokes and uses oil. Not a big problem it would just be the stem seals like mine have gone. but does use oil so that that into account

Welsh Dan
25-08-09, 12:02 PM
It could be that there isnt enough oil, that the oil is too thin, that the oil pump is on the blink, or that the oil pickup in the sump is blocked.

Jon_nova1
25-08-09, 12:57 PM
i'd say its just the time it takes for the oil to circulate, aslong as the oil pressure light doesnt flicker on idle the pump *should* be ok

really, it shouldn't be anything new oil and an oil filter can't help, if the sump pickup was blocked the top end would sound like a ford as the cams scrape across the rockers

brainsnova
25-08-09, 01:17 PM
my old calibra used to do this for 30 secs and it went away and sometimes switching it off and restarting it went away but it is the oil and lifters lubing up. for a few secs i wouldnt be worried but if it due and oil service do it.

Ben
25-08-09, 01:21 PM
It is very common as Dan said check the oil quality/quantity usually a flush and oil change will sure it.

callumdoubleu
25-08-09, 10:51 PM
cheers fo all the help guys. :)

let_nova
25-08-09, 10:53 PM
well have you sorted it??

Benn
25-08-09, 10:56 PM
Dont flush it, wip out the lifers and clean out. Do an oil change and i bet they'll quieten down.

Jon_nova1
25-08-09, 11:28 PM
As above, if the engines not in perfect order and has taken some abuse, it could do more harm than good