PDA

View Full Version : driveshaft issues

mang
22-08-09, 09:35 PM
Ive just brought a 2 ltr nova it has a f20 gearbox in it, is the offside driveshaft fatter than the near side driveshaft? (the spline that fits in the differential)

craig green
22-08-09, 09:36 PM
Does the car drive?

Do you mean the spline on the inner CV joint (into the box)?

mang
22-08-09, 09:52 PM
Does the car drive?

Do you mean the spline on the inner CV joint (into the box)?

it did drive but the joint was makin a bad noise, yeah the cv joint that goes into the box

Welsh Dan
22-08-09, 09:53 PM
They should both have this type of CV/spline on:
http://www.xen0phobiak.f2s.com/novaload/shaft.jpg

...unless they're aftermarket jobbies.

EDIT: The pic is of the smallblock inner cv on a 22 spline shaft, so I'm talking out of my backside in this post.

mang
22-08-09, 10:09 PM
yeah its just that i took the cv joint off the drivers side drive shaft and put it on the near side shaft and it wont go into the gearbox

Welsh Dan
22-08-09, 10:11 PM
Can you post pictures of both inner CV joints please?

mang
22-08-09, 10:18 PM
Can you post pictures of both inner CV joints please?
sorry but i carnt i might be able to tomo i tryed to get it to fit for hours but it just wont go in the gearbox the one on the drivers shaft look fater with more splines than the old near side cv joint it looks more skinny with less splines hope this makes sence.

Jon_nova1
22-08-09, 11:15 PM
sounds like one side may be motorsport a shaft and the other a gte shaft, could be to help with torque steer, the nearside shaft may have snapped/been damaged and been replaced with a standard job...or maybe the previous owner only decided to buy one shaft and found another somewhere else?

your best counting splines