PDA

View Full Version : alternator/starter/big red wires

peester
22-08-09, 08:54 PM
so from the battery it goes to starter solenoid,
then from the same starter solenoid connection a smaller gauge red wire to the alternator.???
then from that same alternator connection back to the battery?

where do i connect the big gauge red wire that goes into the car, to the fuse box? battery again?

anyone have x3 connections on their battery positive terminal??

ta :-)

Jon_nova1
22-08-09, 09:27 PM
big red wire that goes into the car? abit thinner than the wire that goes to the starter?

sounds like its the wire from the ignition barrel to turn the starter, so it would go to the starter (2 red to the starter and one brown)

two red wires from the positive terminal, one to inside the car, one to the starter

the red wire that seperates into 2 goes to the starter/alternator, the other red wire that sits near the battery goes to the battery, the other red that would be left dangling in the engine bay goes to the starter (on a different connector)

peester
23-08-09, 11:14 AM
:-( confused.com

AlexW
23-08-09, 11:17 AM
I dont understand what he said eather.

It should be as you said untill the alternator, there shouldnt be any return back to the battery.

The thick live from the car loom should just go on the battery, other end it splits out for everything.

Jon_nova1
23-08-09, 11:18 AM
you have two red wires that lead to the starter

peester
23-08-09, 12:11 PM
ta

peester
26-08-09, 07:48 PM
EDIT/UPDATE:
my starter soleniod connecitions..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/peester/SP_A1681.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/peester/SP_A1682.jpg

As you can see, ive put the big red on the terminal i think it belongs on..
the other ring terminal u see is the switched live for the soleniod; onto which connection of the other two does it go on??

is the remaining one an earth then..?

thanks

AlexW
26-08-09, 07:57 PM
Id say its the one that isnt black from memory.

The earth goes through the gearbox/body. Theres always 1 connection not used.

peester
26-08-09, 09:43 PM
i think ive forgot to notice; the black one is a braided strap that connects to the starter body itself.. ill pop back to the car and check..
means your right it should be the unpainted one..

Jon_nova1
26-08-09, 10:04 PM
red/black striped goes to the starter on a smaller connection, this comes from the ignition

the earth (brown) connects to the same bolt that holds the starter in place

AlexW
27-08-09, 12:25 AM
Theres no need for the earth cable, if the earth cable is on the gearbox/chassis leg then theres no need.

They were fitted to novas without the gearbox/chassis leg earth.

peester
01-02-10, 02:09 PM
*Im bumping this thread as i think im having issues with this again..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/peester/th_novastartup1.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v11/peester/?action=view&current=novastartup1.flv)
I dont know why yet, but with a healthy battery (charged, less than 1 year old, reads over 12V on multimeter and voltmeter on clocks); when i try to start the car its cranking over very slowly/weakly..
Its as if something is taking too much power up.. or a poor earth..?
All looks well anyway.. 12v at starter and at alternator.
Or is it something else altogether lol
Help please lol

peester
01-02-10, 06:37 PM
it looks like theres no spark.. ive got compression (tho ive not done a test with equipment) and i have fuel, so maybe coilpack suspect.. or a sensor maybe

Adam
01-02-10, 06:42 PM
Have you got a good earth strap between the engine and chassis/batt?

Might just be a weak starter motor/solenoid

Mazz
01-02-10, 06:50 PM
Might be worth throwing a jump lead on to act a big earth Dave

peester
01-02-10, 07:27 PM
ok, so u rekon fit a nice braided earth strap from the chassis to somewhere on the engine...?

Adam
01-02-10, 07:31 PM
As Mazz suggest, Clip a jump lead on the gearbox, other end on the batt neg terminal, see if it turns over better then

peester
01-02-10, 07:34 PM
ok i will ta

Mazz
01-02-10, 07:47 PM
Failing that, coilpack :(

peester
01-02-10, 07:48 PM
aye.. ok

Mazz
14-02-10, 10:47 AM
Any joy Dave?!